Founded in 1884, Bangor University has a long tradition of academic excellence and a strong focus on the student experience. Around 10,000 students currently study at the University, with teaching staff based within fourteen Academic Schools.
Bangor University has achieved a Gold Award for teaching, the highest rating possible, in the national Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
Bangor University is ranked in the top 40 in the UK for research*, according to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. The REF recognised that more than three-quarters of Bangor’s research is either world-leading or internationally excellent, ahead of the average for UK universities.
Bangor University in the news …
- Discovery of the 'not so sexy salmon' revealed by Bangor scientists - ITV News
- Climate change: How World War One shipwrecks help renewable energy - BBC
- Henry VIII divorces led to copycat splits, Bangor researchers say – BBC
The most recent National Student Survey (NSS) results place Bangor in the top ten in the UK for student satisfaction (excluding specialist institutions).
Student life at Bangor University is vibrant and diverse. We have more than 200 Students’ Union Clubs and Societies, and membership is free. Our Clubs and Societies were named best in the UK at the WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2019 for the 3rd year running.
Students are given help and support from the moment they arrive. Our Student Services Centre provides advice and guidance on matters from money and housing to disability support, counselling, dyslexia, study skills and local faith provision.
An unrivalled location
Bangor’s location – between the mountains and the sea – has been described as the best university setting in the UK. Lonely Planet have rated North Wales as the 4th best region in the world to visit by due to its stunning location and “shiny new adventure sports facilities”.
Bangor University’s accommodation was rated 3rd in the UK at the What Uni Student Choice Awards 2019. Bangor has three halls of residence dedicated to postgraduate accommodation across three sites, all within easy walking distance of both the campus and the city.
Highly rated courses and lecturers
We offer hundreds of courses across the arts and the sciences. We pride ourselves on the quality of our teaching and our courses and lecturers – and have been rated Gold for outstanding teaching (TEF 2017).
Links and partnerships
We have close links with business and the NHS in Wales through the Besti Cadwaladr University Health Board. The University is a major provider of training and education for the NHS and is also one of the main partners in the North Wales Clinical School.
“Bangor is a university town and it is easy to go around Bangor. People are friendly, helpful and approachable and one gets a feeling of home. Also, there is scenic beauty around Bangor, which provides a calm and peaceful environment.”
Shailaja Bakshi, from India studying PhD in Linguistics and English Language
More profiles and videos…
To hear more about postgraduate study at Bangor University from current staff and students, take a look at Bangor TV.
For further information, please contact:
Student Recruitment Unit
Telephone: +44 (0) 1248 382005
*excluding specialist institutions and single-submission universities
- Bangor Business School
- Institute of Medical and Social Care Research (IMSCaR)
- PGCE courses
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Computer Science
- School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
- School of Education and Human Development
- School of English Literature
- School of Health Sciences
- School of History, Philosophy and Social Sciences
- School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics
- School of Law
- School of Linguistics and English Language
- School of Medical Sciences
- School of Music
- School of Music and Media
- School of Natural Sciences
- School of Ocean Sciences
- School of Philosophy and Religion
- School of Psychology
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
- School of Welsh and Celtic Studies
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here