find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: Museum Education (online)
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Education View department profile|
This distance learning programme will provide you with exciting opportunities to develop critical knowledge and skills associated with learning in and through museums and galleries. Building on your academic, professional and personal experiences and qualifications, it will deepen your social, cultural, historical and philosophical understanding of museum education.
- This fully online programme is ideal for those who work in museums and galleries, education, cultural heritage and other related sectors, as well as for those who wish to enter this field. The only distance learning programme of its kind in the UK, it offers high quality, fully supported online distance learning on a flexible part-time basis.
- The programme utilises a virtual, interactive learning environment incorporating film, blogs, podcasts, forums and feeds. Engaging in a stimulating online community, you will participate in analysis, critique and discussion of current research, practices, provision and policies.
- Engaging in the programme and its online forums gives you the unique opportunity to access experts, academics, peers and museum collections located around the world, comparing practices, pedagogies and policies in order to expand and extend your knowledge of museum education.
- The programme includes a placement in a setting relevant to your expertise and interests. Benefiting from the extensive programme network of museum experts, you will be supported to secure a suitable setting where you will have the opportunity to put theoretical ideas and learning into practice.
- In addition to the vast and varied expertise of academic staff at the University of Glasgow, the programme also draws on the expertise of Scottish and international museum-based specialists.
Core teaching in years 1 and 2 is followed by a dissertation in year 3 where you will have the opportunity to identify an area of interest and to create a research project that allows in-depth critical explanation of your selected theme. Teaching methods aim to visually and intellectually stimulate you in such a way as to recreate experiences associated with museum contexts and museum education. Films, podcasts, technologically generated images, online forums and other resources will be used to support learning. In year 2 you are required to undertake a placement in a setting relevant to your interest and area of expertise. Your placement will provide an opportunity for you to put theory into practice and to develop links with museum education bodies.
- Modern educational thinking
- Museums, education and curriculum development
- The museum as a source for learning.
- Access and inclusion
- Research application
- Theory into practice.
Whether you work in the field of education, museums or cultural heritage, have an interest in museum education, the programme will equip you with and the required knowledge and skills to pursue a career in museum education, as well as associated contexts. The programme aims to extend and strengthen confidence in your knowledge and skills in terms of learning in and through the museum.
University of Glasgow
School of Education
The University of Glasgow’s School of Education is an ambitious, major international research-led institution with traditional roots in Scottish higher education. We invest in the future of education through world-class research that advances knowledge and practice. Respected for contributions to policy and practice, our teaching and research benefits from strong partnerships with education communities.
Founded in 1451, the University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university in the English-speaking world. The University has a history of changing the world and the School of Education is committed to nurturing the people who make it happen. …View Profile
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here