find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses

Posted April 22, 2024

Top 10 PGCE Courses In The UK

PGCE Top 10

PGCE Course SearchSo you want to know how to become a teacher? There are a couple of routes to gaining Qualified Teacher Status in the UK, and studying a PGCE course is one of them.

Courses are separated into early years (ages 3 to 7), primary education (ages 5 to 11), secondary education (ages 11 to 18) and post-compulsory education (ages 14 to 18).

There are some excellent bursaries and other PGCE funding opportunities available to finance your studies and teacher training students can get up to £25,000 for their PGCE year.

Here is our rundown of 10 of the best PGCE programs available at universities in the UK*.

PGCE – University of Birmingham

Duration: One year full time.

Tuition fees: £9,250 for UK students / £24,120 for International students, including EU students.

What you will study: The PGCE at the University of Birmingham offers early years, primary and secondary level teacher training concentrating on planning, teaching and classroom skills. Students can go on to complete a Masters in Teaching Studies after completing their PGCE.

PGCE – University of Bristol

Duration: One year full time.

Tuition fees: £9,250 for UK students / £23,900 for International students, including EU students.

What you will study: This course at the University of Bristol focuses on secondary education with around 200 students training to become teachers each year. The main modules focus on Curriculum Studies, Educational and Professional Studies and School Experience.

PGCE – University of Cambridge

Duration: One year full time or two years part time.

Tuition fees: £9,250 total fees for UK students / £34,848 total fees for International students, including EU students.

What you will study: At the University of Cambridge you can choose to specialise in early primary school, primary school or secondary school education. Students are able to continue on to gain a Masters in Education in the following year on a part-time basis.

PGCE – Durham University

Duration: One year full time.

Tuition fees: £9,250 total fees for UK students / £23,500 for International students, including EU students.

What you will study: Offering both primary and secondary school level education, Durham University has a close partnership with local schools giving students a great variety of placements.

PGCE – University of Exeter

Duration: One year full time.

Cost: £9,250 for UK students / £23,700 for International students, including EU students.

What you will study: PGCE students at the University of Exeter can specialise in either primary or secondary school education. With the secondary school education course, students can increase their knowledge of their subject area during their first term with elective modules in other departments.

PGCE – Loughborough University

Duration: One year full time.

Cost: £9,250 for UK students.

What you will study: Loughborough University prepares students to teach pupils at secondary (11 to 18 years of age) level. Students spend 60% of the course in classrooms on placement and this provides students with the confidence to work successfully after qualification.

PGCE – University of Manchester

Duration: One year full time.

Cost: £9,250 for UK students / £22,500 for International students, including EU students.

What you will study: The University of Manchester offers both primary and secondary level education and aims to ensure that students have an understanding of the teaching profession, the skills to excel at teaching, to value diversity and respect for social and cultural differences.

PGCE – University of Nottingham

Duration: One year full time.

Cost: £9,250 for UK students / £21,500 for International students, including EU students.

What you will study: Students at the University of Nottingham can pick between primary and secondary level education and secondary level students focus on either English, History, Geography, Maths, Science or Modern Languages.

PGCE – University of Oxford

Duration: One year full time.

Cost: £9,250 for UK students / £36,000 for International students, including EU students.

What you will study: The Department of Education at the University of Oxford works closely with its partner schools to develop a unique program of training for secondary school level education. About 30% of their students go on to gain employment at their placement school.


Duration: One year full time.

Cost: £7,000 to £9,250 for UK students / £24,200 for International students, including EU students.

What you will study: Teacher training students at UCL (University College London) can specialise in either early years, primary, secondary or post-compulsory (14 years plus) education. Core modules include Teaching and Learning, Action Research and Professional Practice.

*SOURCE: The Good Teacher Training Guide 2017 published by the Centre for Education and Employment Research University of Buckingham

Editor’s note: this blog was originally published in May 2017. The tuition fees have been updated in December 2023 to reflect the latest tuition fees.

Related articles

PGCE Course Search

How To Become A Teacher Infographic

Getting Into Teaching

How To Become A Teacher

Top 10 Education Masters Courses In The UK & Europe

Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries


Farhin Vora June 11, 2018, 9:10 a.m.

Do I need to register myself in Manchester university?

Charlotte King June 14, 2018, 3:24 p.m.

Hi Farhin,

If you want to study your PGCE at the University of Manchester the best thing to do is to contact the university directly and find out what their requirements are.

Good luck!


Ratika Feb. 20, 2019, 4:28 p.m.

Can these courses be done online? If yes, then will they hold equal validation to the ones, done regularly, full time ?

Charlotte King Feb. 27, 2019, 11:47 a.m.

Hi Ratika - PGCE courses can't be studied online as they always involve some classroom/teaching/practical work alongside the academic study.
Here are all the PGCE courses available to study in the UK and Europe:

maya March 8, 2019, 3:08 p.m.

my degree is in accounting and finance, I am looking to get PGCE qualification to teach in HE sector, however, I am not sure which course I should apply to there is no course specialized in accounting and Finance.??

Charlotte King March 11, 2019, 3:40 p.m.

Hi Maya,
With your background you would be best off specialising in Mathematics for your PGCE. Check out the range of courses here >
Good luck - Charlotte

IKB March 13, 2019, 7:43 a.m.

Ratika, it's not true that PGCEs can't be done online. Long distance courses exist - however, they are always non-QTS. This is very important to note. In the UK you can attain QTS without a PGCE, and it is QTS that qualifies you to teach, not necessarily the PGCE. How it works is this: a lot of PGCE will have QTS recommendation at the end, meaning that by getting your PGCE, you also gain QTS status (assuming you meet all standard teaching requirements during your course). The two, however, are not necessarily always linked. You can get QTS without a PGCE and you can also get a PGCE without QTS. However it is often that you'd get QTS by studying a PGCE - but this is why you should always check the course details of each university. While it is common that there's QTS at the end of a PGCE, that is not always the case.

There's also the iPGCE that's usually done for international schools (also non-QTS) but it has a bad reputation, from what I've gathered - however it is also true that many teachers with iPGCE without QTS have been employed at international schools.

The catch really is finding a school that would be willing to train you. You'd need a school that's willing to take you on as a QTS candidate (if you graduated from a non-QTS PGCE), and during that year the school would assign you a mentor and help you build your professional portfolio that you then submit to gain QTS. Finding such a school can be difficult. This is why PGCE non-QTS is not generally recommended and also because typical British national teaching requirements require that you must have QTS. If, however, you've managed to get a teaching job in at least two British schools where you had full responsibility of a class in two consecutive key stages - there is the Assessment Route Only to QTS that you can look into.

I just want to reiterate it is absolutely possible to do a PGCE online. What is NOT possible is attaining QTS online. QTS can only be attained within British schools. The UK requirement seems to be that these should be in a UK state school. However I am currently talking with my head of primary in a British international school and clearly QTS is attainable even abroad (my head is mentoring 3 such candidates right now through ISTIP). International schools (not UK state schools) seem to care more about the degree than about QTS. So it very much depends on the market you're looking at. I'm about to embark on exactly this route - PGCE non-QTS long distance and with the hope that my current school will then mentor me to enable me to attain QTS. This means it will take me 2 years full time minimum (as opposed to 1 if you went through a PGCE with QTS).

The best is of course, get a PGCE with QTS right off the bat, then you're not at the mercy of finding a school that would mentor you. However, non-QTS courses cost between £1500-3000. iPGCE between £3000-6000. PGCE with QTS at £9000+. So, finance is something else to consider.

Charlotte King March 13, 2019, 2:31 p.m.

Thank you for clarifying that IKB.

Sahar April 10, 2019, 5:18 p.m.

I've recently graduated in BSc Biomedical Science, I am hoping to apply for PGCE in Primary School, however, I am not sure which subject or course is relevant to my degree? And also could you please explain what is the difference between SCITT and PGCE? Do both these courses require experience in working with children? Thanks

Charlotte King April 12, 2019, 6:48 p.m.

Hi Sahar,

Here is some information explaining about the SCITT courses and how they often include PGCE qualifications >


Emma April 16, 2019, 2:30 p.m.


I'm looking to do a PGCE to teach at primary level. however my current degree is in criminology and criminal justice, because of this i am unsure of what I should specialise in and what funding is available.

many thanks

Charlotte King April 16, 2019, 3:56 p.m.

Hi Emma,

According to the UK Government website as long as you have GCES English and Maths at Grade C/4 and a degree you are eligible to apply for a PGCE >

Good luck in your application and remember that when you have been accepted onto a place you will be eligible to apply for one of our Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries worth £500 >

Hasan April 23, 2019, 6:12 p.m.

Hi there, I studied a bachelors degree in Journalism and majored in English and then honours in Journalism. I was wondering if it would be possible to choose English as the subject I do my PGCE in? I was also wondering if you could recommend Universities that offer scholarships to international students if there are any for the PGCE. Thank you.

Charlotte King April 23, 2019, 8:45 p.m.

Hi Hasan,

If your major was in English I would think you will be able to choose English for your PGCE major - although it's best to contact the universities that you are interested in directly to double check their entry requirements.

Once you have been offered a place on a PGCE program you will be eligible to apply for on of our Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries worth £500 >

Good luck!

Henry onyemenam April 26, 2019, 9:14 p.m.

I have gained Admissions PGCE with QTS in UK but don’t know whether I can get a teaching job after gaining my PGCE with QTS and also a working permit.i have gained 23 years experience in teaching mathematics here in Africa. I heard that UK don’t accommodate students as soon as finish your programme

Ankita Raj Kumar May 14, 2019, 7:06 a.m.


I have done my MA and M.Phil. in Spanish and have been teaching in India in IB schools for 6 years. I am now looking forward to teach outside and that's how I came across PGCE. How beneficial would it be for me? I would appreciate if someone can help me out in this. Thank you so much.

Charlotte King May 14, 2019, 9:19 a.m.

Hi Ankita,
If you want to teach at a state school in the UK you need to study a PGCE. You can either choose to specialise in primary or secondary education and the course should take one year to complete. You will then be able to work as a teach in the UK - so if this is the career path you would like to follow a PGCE would be very beneficial to you.
Good luck!

Ankita Raj Kumar May 15, 2019, 4:32 p.m.

Thank you so much, Charlotte! I am looking for PGCE secondary courses, there are quite a number of them in the UK. If I may ask just one more thing, is PGCE recognized all over the world? I mean if I want to go and teach in Canada or anywhere else, will it be accepted? It's just that these courses are quite expensive for international students and I want to make sure that I am making the right choice. Thank you once again for your advice.

Charlotte King May 15, 2019, 8:08 p.m.

As far as I am aware if your PGCE gives you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) it should make you eligible to teach in countries across the world including Canada. However I do think it is worth checking with the secondary schools in Canada first though just to make sure this is definitely the case though as rules and regulations can change.
Good luck.

Ankita Raj Kumar May 16, 2019, 6:43 p.m.

Thank you so much for your help.

Kazi hasnain June 24, 2019, 12:13 p.m.

I am hasnain. I want to training on pgce (math) in London . How i can do this.any one help me to given informatio. Advance thanks

Charlotte King June 25, 2019, 8:17 a.m.

Hi Hasnain,

To be eligible to study a PGCE you'll need to demonstrate GCSE grade C / 4 (or standard equivalent) in maths and English – and a science subject for primary trainees. You'll also need a degree (or degree equivalent).
Here is the link to the UK Government information on eligibility requirements >

Good luck.

Jeetu June 25, 2019, 5:56 p.m.

Hi, by qualification I'm mechanical engineer but from last 15 year I'm teacher of physics and maths for competitive entrance exam in India , which more higher than AS and A level in UK and finished many books of AS and A level , now I want to become teacher in London . Which University is best for PGCE and QTS and what are the next steps , plz guide me

Charlotte King June 28, 2019, 1:52 p.m.

Hi Jeetu,

I think you should register with the UK Government's Get Into Teaching website to check your eligibility >
Once you have established this then maybe you should try UCL as that is a London-based university that constantly achieves well in the PGCE rankings.

Good luck,


Mohamed Salih Sept. 15, 2019, 11:31 a.m.

Hi, I’m a driving instructor would like to change my profession due to the stressful job, I’ve done my BSc Under graduate 2008/9 at the University of East London 2:1 (Technology & E-Commerce) I’m planning to register PGCE to get into the teaching but I’ve no idea which subject to do on PGCE and which university is the suitable one for me because I live in Milton-Keynes which is in Buckinghamshire, could you please help me to choose a right path to achieve my target. Thank you

Charlotte King Sept. 17, 2019, 8:02 p.m.

Hi Mohamed – Congratulations on making this decision for an exciting new career change. There are several universities quite close to you in Milton Keynes that offer good PGCE programs including the University of Northampton and the University of Bedfordshire. Take a look at the links below for more comprehensive listings of PGCEs available in your region of the UK. Good luck!

Sonakshi Shrivastava Sept. 20, 2019, 6:38 a.m.

I completed MA Psychology last year in September. Now, after a year of deciding on the next step towards a career, I have decided to pursue PGCE in 2020.

To begin with, I have applied for a statement of comparability for my qualifications(school examinations) that were achieved outside of the UK. I did my master's degree from the UK. Now, the next step would be to wait for applications to open in October.

I have read on many university sites that experience in a school is recommended prior to starting the PGCE course. Recently, I approached a few schools in my city and they all said that they require a degree in education to even take me as an intern. So, I have been having trouble gaining experience in schools. Although, I keep ringing up schools for experience.

However, I do have experience working with kids. During my undergraduate degree, I volunteered at a special school for a month and also was a student volunteer for a year during my postgraduate degree which also involved working with children with special needs. Would this experience count in my application for PGCE? I am worried about this part of the application. Can you suggest further on it.

Thank you.

Charlotte Sept. 23, 2019, 5:46 p.m.

Hi Sonakshi – it is a good idea to have some classroom experience before starting a PGCE – if nothing else it will help you determine whether teaching is a career that you definitely want to pursue! I recommend you register with the UK government’s teaching website as they can help you get school placements:
The experience that you already have will definitely be worth mentioning on your application. And don’t forget that once you’ve been accepted on a PGCE program you will be eligible to apply for one of our Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries worth £500 >
Good luck!

Andrea Sept. 26, 2019, 7:07 p.m.

Great article - thank you!

I’m currently an ESL teacher in Vietnam and really keen on doing a PGCE with QTS. Is there any advice to offer to someone like me on the best way to do a PGCE with QTS while abroad or do i have to return to my home country as you mentioned that online PGCE might not be good? Please enlighten me

Charlotte King Oct. 3, 2019, 1:23 p.m.

Hi Andrea – If you look back through this blog thread to the message from IKB in March 2019 you will find a very comprehensive answer to your question. To summarise, it is indeed possible to study a PGCE online - however this wouldn’t include QTS.
Hope that helps! Charlotte

Raj Mehat Oct. 6, 2019, 11:51 a.m.


Are there any PGCE's that have Jan starts in the Midlands?

Ahmed Sherief Oct. 6, 2019, 12:09 p.m.


I have done a considerable amount of research about teaching in the UK as I want to move there. I have a few questions please.

I'm an international student who have bachelors of pharmacy and masters of marketing, so I think I could teach science for primary and/or biology/chemistry for secondary.

Q1. I have found a couple of types of PGCE (school direct and a different one) what's the difference?

Q2. What's the difference between PGCE and PGDE? I want to be able to teach in the UK.

Q3. Which kind of PGCE or PGDE with QTS that can lead to (after completion) MA in education or learning and so on maybe PhD?

Q4. The new post grad 2 years visa ( tier 4) would apply to student starting when in 2020?

Thank you so much for your time and efforts.


Charlotte King Oct. 7, 2019, 6:36 p.m.

Hi Raj – I can’t find any universities in the Midlands currently offering a PGCE with a January start date, although I do think it’s worth you emailing the relevant department of the universities that you are interested in studying at in case they are launching this new for 2020.
I know it's not in the Midlands but Canterbury Christ Church is the only UK university that I am aware of that is currently offering this option with a Flexible Route PGCE starting in January:

Charlotte Oct. 8, 2019, 1:29 p.m.

Hi Ahmed – Our blog on Getting Into Teaching provides an outline on the two different PGCE routes - school-led and university-led >
A PGDE (Professional Graduate Diploma in Education) is basically the Scottish equivalent of the PGCE. There is also another qualification called the PGDE (Postgraduate Diploma in Education) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland which is worth 120 CATS credits, rather than 60 and works towards an optional masters. To teach in the UK the simplest option is for you to complete a one-year PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, or a Professional Graduate Diploma in Education in Scotland. If you want to go on to study an MA in Education a Postgraduate Diploma in Education in England, Wales or NI is the right one to study.
This link has the UK Government’s up-to-date student visa information:
Good luck with your studies.

Arshiya Oct. 17, 2019, 2:42 p.m.

I'm from India and im interested in teaching Chemistry to secondary school after completing pgce course. I have completed my masters in chemistry from India. Which university will be best suited for full time 1 year pgce course? Can I apply for funding or bursaries? Will it cover my study expense? Do I have to apply for a 4 tier visa to study in UK?

Charlotte King Oct. 18, 2019, 8:14 a.m.

Hi Arshiya – Here is a list of all the universities offering PGCE courses for secondary education in the UK >
The country is very keen to recruit more science teachers so I think there will be some good funding options for you if you do your research – and of course once you are offered a place on a PGCE program you will be eligible to apply for one of our Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries >
You currently need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK.
Good luck with your studies.

Seb_A Oct. 27, 2019, 12:20 p.m.

Hi Charlotte,

I've been teaching English as a second language in Japan and Singapore for the last 10 years but I am thinking about coming back to the UK to do a PGCE and look for a job in a secondary school. My BA was in Journalism and my Masters was in Applied Linguistics. However, I'm interested in Secondary Biology. I realise that this is quite a departure from my previous area of experience and I do not know if this is a realistic expectation of mine. Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Maliha Oct. 27, 2019, 6:23 p.m.

There are a lot of questions in mind regarding PGCE.
I hope you will be able to help me out. At the moment I am a stay at home mom
All my education (till masters in zoology) is from Pakistan and I know that I dont have GCSEs to get into teaching. I definitely need A-C grade in maths and English ..... will maths and English level 2 ( functional skills) be considered as gcse equivalent as Teaching criteria?
Which school/college is working as partners with a which particular university ( for PGCE trainees)how would I know that?
I am looking forward to secondary or post compulsory teaching but I feel I have zero knowledge about how to get into it.
Should one be working as a volunteer in some school to get into teaching? Can we not apply for PGCE without work experience at some school?
Thanks alot

Charlotte King Oct. 28, 2019, 6:37 p.m.

Hi Seb – Unfortunately to become a secondary school biology teacher you do need a minimum of a lower second-class UK bachelors degree or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard in Biology or a Biology-related subject. I think you would be qualified to become an English or English-related subject secondary school teacher. Here is a link to the government’s Get Into Teaching website >
Good luck.

Charlotte King Oct. 29, 2019, 7:27 p.m.

Hi Maliha,
I'm not sure how your qualifications correlate with the UK GCSE Maths and English Grade C – I think you're probably best checking with one of your preferred PGCE course providers to find out more. Also the UK Government website has some good advice on this as well >
It is always a good idea to have some schools experience before applying for a PGCE – it will also help you decide if this really is the right career path for you.
Good luck!

Nasser Nov. 11, 2019, 9:02 p.m.

I am a CELTA qualified (from the UK) English teacher with a master's degree in English (from India).
I have been teaching since 2008. I have also taught English in Saudi Arabia for four years.
Now I want to do the PGCE and I came across your platform.
I want to know:
1. How to get admission?
2. Requirements.
3. Fees for international students.
4. Scholarships if any.
5. Do I have to pay the complete amount at once or in installments?
Since i would be spending almost all the savings i have, i need to know if i will get any work permit along with my studies or after the completion of my studies.
I also want to know if i will get enough time to work (work permit during studies) because PGCE studies might need more attention than partime job.
I really appreciate your previous answers to other candidates' queries. They were really helpful.

LUCINDA BRAYIE Jan. 7, 2020, 7 p.m.


Charlotte King Jan. 9, 2020, 10:09 p.m.

Hi Lucinda – Paste this link into your browser to get a listing of all the PGCE courses in the UK. You can then take a look at the different options:
Good luck.

safia March 9, 2020, 1:32 p.m.


Does a PGCE award you with a QTS?
If no
Where can I apply to get my PGCE alongside a QTS?

Thank you

Sherif March 10, 2020, 11:06 a.m.

Hi, I have just been offered a seat in university of birmingham Dubai for PGCE mathematics secondary but non-QTS, would it be helpful to find a job in a british or international school. I have an engineering background

Manasi Pandya May 25, 2020, 8:04 p.m.

My name is Manasi Pandya and I am from India. I am a qualified teacher in India with MA in English Literature and B.ed( bachelor's of education). Since 2010 I am teaching in various international schools of India. My age is 37 and want to pursue MA in Early Childhood education can fetch me QTS?. I want to know which is the right path to get onto the course which offers QTS at the same time...

Charlotte King May 27, 2020, 9:44 p.m.

Here is a list of MA courses in Early Childhood >
However if you want QTS check with the course you are interested in and see if they offer the opportunity to study this qualification alongside the MA.

Puja June 6, 2020, 10:33 p.m.

I have done my bachelors and masters degree in physics honours from India. I have completed my masters in 2017. And now I have almost 3yrs of teaching experience. I have been teaching AS/A/IGCSE and IBDP from that time till now. I want to pursue PGCE and Qts by school direct(salaried) route. I am in the process of filling form in UCAS. I am very much confused about this route. Please help me n clarify these doubts

So do I need to first choose which offer qts and then choose university according to that or
First I need to choose university and then find their partner school and then apply in partner school in UCAS or
Should I only opt for University and then the university deceide the school.

Charlotte King June 12, 2020, 8:44 a.m.

Hi Puja – here is a list of PGCE courses in the UK >
I suggest you choose the university you want to study at and then double check with them that their PGCE includes QTS. They should also be able to help you find the school.
Good luck.

Shahin July 28, 2020, 9:47 p.m.

Hi ,
I wish to perceive my career I teaching in school. There is a Professional Diploma in Teaching here in UAE. Is this course same as the PGCE course. Also, I would like to know if the PGCE online courses are recognized in UAE

Charlotte King July 31, 2020, 4:48 p.m.

Hi Shahin – The Postgraduate Diploma is a different course to the UK-based PGCE. I think you should check with the schools that you are interested in teaching at to find out what teaching qualifications they recognise. With online PGCE courses the student usually needs to organise to undertake some teaching experience so you will also need to check if you can do this at the schools in UAE. Good luck!

Rachel Aug. 2, 2020, 9:10 a.m.

Hi Charlotte,
I currently work full time in a primary school as a specialist teaching assistant. I have just achieved my degree in child adolescent mental health too. I have decided to study for my PGCE whilst still working, hopefully at my school. However, I cannot have time at uni to study so I have been looking at distance learning courses but with my experience at my school. Is this possible?.
Thankyou is much

Charlotte King Aug. 3, 2020, 5:17 p.m.

Hi Rachel – our article on PGCEs Online has lots of helpful information for you – take a look >
Hope this helps.

Jay Aug. 14, 2020, 12:56 a.m.

I am a Teacher of Mathematics, I would like to do PGCE in UK. I would like to know whether PGCE degree will be eligible to apply for 2 year post work visa for international students.

Charlotte King Aug. 14, 2020, 2:53 p.m.

Hi Jay – I'm not sure about the eligibility of work visas for international students post PGCEs. This link to the UK Government website has comprehensive information about work and study visas >
Good luck.

Duncan Aug. 25, 2020, 1:49 p.m.

I am about to take PGCE however, due to COVID most of it will now be conducted online.
Would you be able to share insights as to how demanding this would be as opposed to classroom based?

Charlotte King Sept. 1, 2020, 5:38 p.m.

Hi Duncan,
Due to these unprecedented times many courses are conducting the majority of their courses online for the upcoming term, however measures will have been put in place to make this transition and mode of teaching operate as smoothly as possible, so I would feel confident in going ahead with the PGCE. You will almost certainly still get to participate in classroom-based assessments but check with your supervisor to see how they are planning to run the course.
Good luck!

Ian Sept. 4, 2020, 11:47 a.m.

I am wondering what to do in order to obtain a PGCE. I already have QTS (Secondary) and have worked in a UK school for 4 years, but would like to work abroad at some point.
Would anyone know how I could "convert" my QTS to add a PGCE?
I am finding that some countries are ok with a UK acquired QTS, but some may not be, and require the PGCE.
Would I still need to complete the whole year including the classroom time ? Thanks.

Boski Gupta Sept. 5, 2020, 8:04 a.m.

Hi, I am from India and have a post graduate Diploma in English journalism. I have been associated with media and writing industry for more than 12 years now. I want to apply for teaching jobs in the UK. What do I need for that? What courses and certificates would be helpful? Do I need to clear GCSE? Please tell me. Thanks for the help.

Stephanie Sept. 18, 2020, 8:10 a.m.

Hi there
I’m just wondering if you can do a Pgce in England/ Scotland and then teach in Northern Ireland or do you have to get your PGCE in the country you want to teach in?

Charlotte King Sept. 28, 2020, 7:04 a.m.

Hi Stephanie,
Northern Ireland is part of the UK so I think that as long as you opt to study a PGCE in England that includes QTS I think you should be fine to teach in a school in Northern Ireland. To be on the safe side it is probably best to check with a school that you are interested in teaching at in NI that they would accept this qualification for you to become teacher there.
Good luck.

Leena Mathur Oct. 12, 2020, 7:06 p.m.


I have a masters degree in Business Administration but I am thinking to pursue career in teaching. I am looking for Online PGCE courses as I am not in UK. Can I study this course online and will the international schools consider it equivalent to the classroom training?


Charlotte King Oct. 13, 2020, 9:15 a.m.

Hi Leena – this article on Online PGCE programs has plenty of useful information >
Good luck with your studies!

Shakira Dec. 5, 2020, 5:37 p.m.


Thank you for this list of PGCE courses. I am from Sri Lanka, and I am an English teacher, teaching the British curriculum for the past 10 years. I have a BA Honors in English from the University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. In Sri Lanka, we can apply for teaching jobs without a professional qualification. Experience is given more importance here. I lost my husband in February, sudden death, and I am looking to move on (literally) to another country. I have been looking for an English Teacher vacancy in European countries and the UAE. But all the schools ask for a PGCE, and I have realised the importance of it. However, I am also aware that the course is really expensive for international students. Nevertheless, I am hoping to apply next year. I would like some advice as to what's the best method of application for an international student? And that too someone like me? I am 34 years old, a widow, I have 10 years of teaching experience. I have been working in the current school (which is a British School) for the past 5 years. This year, I got promoted as Head of Year as well. I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

Charlotte King Dec. 11, 2020, 1:16 p.m.

Hi Shakira – as an international student you would have to pay higher tuition fees than a home or EU student – and you could probably expect to pay around £20,000. There may be scholarships and other funding opportunities that you can apply for. Plus, once you have been accepted on a PGCE course you are eligible to apply for a Postgrad Solutions Study Bursary worth £500 >
Good luck!

Darren Jan. 8, 2021, 7:19 p.m.


I’m currently an electrical engineer with a BSc degree and I’m thinking of a career change.
I’m interested in becoming a PE teacher at primary or secondary level but unsure where to begin.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Charlotte King Jan. 13, 2021, 9:59 p.m.

Hi Darren,
As long as you have a degree and grade C/4 in GCSE Maths and English you should be eligible to study a PGCE. This is the link to the government's information page on this >
There is some generous funding available to study a PGCE and here is a link to all the courses currently available to study in the UK >
Good luck.

Dr. NRP Jan. 22, 2021, 9:35 a.m.

I am Dr. NRP completed Ph.D. in chemistry and also Post-Doctorate in chemistry from India. Now I want to settle in UK as a teacher and interested to do PGCE with QTS.
I have got all information regarding PGCE with QTS, after completion of this course, is it possible to settle in UK as teacher ?. What are difficulties I may find after completion of the PGCE with QTS in UK ?

Charlotte King Jan. 26, 2021, 7:56 a.m.

Hi Dr NRP – as long as you have the appropriate work visa you should easily be able to find work as a teacher in the UK once you have completed you PGCE. And if you are going down the science route you are likely to be in high demand.
And don't forget that once you have been accepted on a PGCE program you will be eligible to apply for a Postgrad Solutions Study Bursary worth £500 >
Good luck!

Jonathan May 2, 2021, 1:11 p.m.


I am a teacher outside the UK, with 5 years of classroom experience. Which PGCE or Masters program will allow me to teach in UK schools?


Charlotte King May 13, 2021, 12:40 p.m.

Hi Jonathan,
If you successfully complete any PGCE with a route to QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) you will be eligible to teach at a UK school >
Good luck!

Reena George May 13, 2021, 4:04 p.m.

I am Reena George from India. I have my Bachelor in Education methodology Social and English.I am interested to teach in the UK for this do I compulsory need to do PGCE or QTS . How can I apply for this please help me

Pallavi Tomar May 17, 2021, 2:16 p.m.

Hi Charlotte,

I have applied in Birmingham City University for PGCE and awaiting response. How is this university for PGCE and job placement?

I also have offer from Bishop Grosseteste University for PGCE Primary 5-11.

However I will prefer whichever is better one.
Please suggest.

Charlotte King May 20, 2021, 9:52 p.m.

Hi Reena,
If you want to teach in a states school in the UK you do need a PGCE with QTS.
To study a PGCE you need a 2:2 honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject.
Minimum grade C/4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language and mathematics. Minimum grade C/4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in a science subject for primary teaching.
This article has more information to help you >
Good luck!

Charlotte King May 20, 2021, 9:57 p.m.

Hi Pallavi,
Both of those universities have a good reputation for PGCE teaching. You should probably consider whether you would prefer to live in Lincoln or Birmingham.
Once you have been accepted on your preferred PGCE you will be eligible to apply for one of our Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries worth £500 >

Deena Dileepkhan May 26, 2021, 8:41 p.m.

I am a post graduate in English literature from India. I want to work as a teacher in UK for higher classes. Do I need to take PGCE secondary level course? Also please explain about the course PGCE in further education and skills sector provided by Greenwich university and the advantage of this course.
Please help me with this as I am an international student from India.

HARITHA B S May 28, 2021, 6:25 a.m.

I'm currently pursuing masters in Political Science from India. I love teaching profession. Is I'm able to apply for PGCE course.

Charlotte King June 1, 2021, 3:52 p.m.

Hi Deena – If you want to become a secondary school teacher at a state school in the UK you will need to successfully complete a Secondary Education PGCE. The University of Greenwich currently offers 5 choices of Secondary Education PGCE – Secondary Educations Mathematics, Secondary Educations Physical Education, Secondary Educations Biology, Secondary Educations Chemistry, Secondary Educations Physics. You can take a look at each option in more detail by using this link >

Charlotte King June 1, 2021, 4:04 p.m.

Hi Haritha – here is the URL that will take you to all the information you need about the necessary qualifications to study a PGCE in the UK >
Good luck!

Elshaimaa June 27, 2021, 4:09 a.m.

Can i do PGCE online?
And if yes how?

Charlotte King July 1, 2021, 4:56 p.m.

Hi Elshaimaa – It is possible to study a PGCE online and this article should have all the information you need >
Good luck!

Jerusha De Cruz Aug. 2, 2021, 9:24 a.m.

I wanted to know details regardging fees :-
1) Since there is a Brexit in the UK, are the fees the same for UK, EU and International fees?

2) Is this fees fixed or is there any more amount to be paid like for miscellanous (books) ?

3) Does the fees include living charges in apartment or just the course?

4) Are there any written exams?

The reason I am asking is because I need to start my savings for the course, so I need to have a fixed amount for the fees.
Thank You.

Charlotte King Aug. 3, 2021, 9:16 a.m.

Hi Jerusha – as a result of Brexit from September 2021 onwards EU students will be required to pay the same tuition fees as international students >
Fees will only cover the cost of the course and do not include living costs or textbooks.
Once you have been offered a place on a PGCE you will be eligible to apply for one of our Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries worth £500 each towards your course costs >

Stanley Aug. 14, 2021, 11:58 p.m.

I am a qualified teacher specialised in mathematics and teaching secondary mathematics over 12 years. I have a Teaching diploma and Bsc in applied maths and applied statistics outside the UK.
I want to teach in UK, what would you advice given my situation?
-to study online PGCE?
-to study university PGCE leading to QTS?
-or apply school based QTS?
-as an international student will i qualify for funding in UK?
-send my qualifications to NARIC?
-will the MANCOSA PGCE be accepted in England?

Thank you for this in advance

Ari Aug. 19, 2021, 3:10 p.m.

I am from India,teaching at an ICSE board school,secondary section as Biology teacher.I have M.Sc B.ed . Want to pursue PGCEi course online from India. How would I apply ? If I do the PGCEi course online without QTS would it get same weightage as regular course? Will it be helpful for applying in international schools in India?

Charlotte King Aug. 25, 2021, 6:42 p.m.

Hi Ari,
QTS is needed to teach at a state school in the UK – but I don't believe it is necessary to teach at an international school in India. This article from the UK Government describes the relevance of GTS:
We also have this article about studying PGCEs online which has some useful information:

Charlotte King Aug. 25, 2021, 7:02 p.m.

Hi Stanley – if you want to teach in a state school in the UK you will need to study a PGCE with QTS. This article explains the importance of the QTS:

Katie B Sept. 29, 2021, 9:44 a.m.

Good morning,

I am a qualified primary school teacher. I qualified in an EU country, before moving to the UK.
Recently I gained some experience as a classroom teacher in a state school - as I also have a QTS here in England.(Completed a Masters degree in Childhood and Youth studies in England).
I found teaching quite challenging, as the way I was taught to teach is slightly different to the way the children in the UK need to be taught.
I struggled with some subject knowledge (English) as well as with some of the method needed to be used for calculating.
Is there a way I could catch up, as I would like to teach, but it is important that what I teach is thorough and has an in-depth knowledge behind it.
I looked into the Return to Teaching initiative, however because I already have a QTS, I am not eligible for any of those courses.
I would appreciate your insight as to how can I move forward. Even if it has a price - I just like to really better my knowledge - so I can deliver meaningful, enriching lessons to the children.

Thank you

Kind wishes


Charlotte King Oct. 13, 2021, 9:09 a.m.

Hi Katie – The UK government offers lots of support for those looking to return to teaching or who are lacking in confidence – take a look at their advice and videos on this page and perhaps contact a Teacher Training advisor or join a live chat on their website for further help >

Anamika Nov. 7, 2021, 5:45 a.m.

Hey Charlotte
I'm currently working as a secondary teacher in India (For 2 years now). I have my master's in Mathematics. I have several doubts regarding this PGCE course
1. Which course is best suited for me if I'm struggling financially
2. Since I'm an international student, can I still get bursaries
3. What is a salaried teaching training course?

Thank you for your kind support

Charlotte King Nov. 7, 2021, 12:41 p.m.

Hi Anamika – the cost of studying a PGCE is £9,250 – however there are bursaries and scholarships available for certain subjects – particularly the sciences – that do not have to be paid back. Have a look at the UK Government website for more information on this >

Aswathi Jan. 25, 2022, 11:35 a.m.

I have completed my PhD in Biotech(Marine Biology) in 2015. I worked in various colleges but have no experience working with schools . Am I eligible to do PGCE course as I am interested to teach upper grade students in Biology.

Charlotte King Feb. 1, 2022, 10:17 p.m.

This website has all the information you need about studying a PGCE course >
Good luck!

Greeshma V G Feb. 5, 2022, 4:47 p.m.

I need to know the difference between PGCE and school direct PGCE

Clara Ang March 21, 2022, 12:23 p.m.


My name is Clara and I am an international student who is interested to do a PGCE with QTS in the UK. Do the PGCE courses listed here come with a QTS or that is something I have to check with the individual University? I hope you can advise me on this and I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you and have a lovely day!

Kind regards,
Clara Ang

Charlotte King March 29, 2022, 9:28 p.m.

Hi Clara – these courses should all include QTS, however as this listing was originally compiled in 2017 it is a good idea to check with the individual universities first. Good luck!

NUSRAT S June 20, 2022, 9:46 a.m.

Please provide me details/list of universities in UK that offer PGCE in Sociology.

Charlotte King June 20, 2022, 9:48 p.m.

If you want to become a Sociology teacher you need to study a Secondary PGCE in Social Sciences. This is available at many UK universities including Queen's University Belfast, Manchester Met University and the University of Wolverhampton. Check the institution that you're interested in and see if they offer this PGCE.

Annabel Taylor Dec. 2, 2022, 10:55 p.m.

Hi I have a qualified degree in Marine and Natural history photography and currently looking into doing a PGCE but not sure what area I should look into and which university... ant suggestions on what I should do?

Mary Dec. 11, 2022, 12:43 p.m.


I am currently completing an Open University (UK) degree and specialising in Religious Studies. Would I be eligible to apply for a PGCE (Primary) after completing my BA degree?


Charlotte King Dec. 12, 2022, 3:49 p.m.

As long as you have GCSE level Maths and English to Grade C / 4 you should be eligible to apply to study a PGCE – check out the Government website for more information:

Charlotte King Dec. 12, 2022, 3:53 p.m.

Hi Annabel – it depends whether you want to do a Primary or a Secondary PGCE – do you know what level of teaching you are interested in? Charlotte, Postgrad Solutions

Sara Dec. 28, 2022, 1:56 p.m.

I have done Graduation in Physiotherapy.
i will be able for BIOLOGY PGCE ?

Charlotte King Jan. 15, 2023, 5:35 p.m.

Hi Sara – if there was a strong amount of scientific content in your bachelors degree and you have adequate grades in your GCSE Maths and English you should be able to study a Biology PGCE. I advise you to contact the admissions department of the PGCE you are interested in and check their requirements. Good luck.

Sumaiya March 12, 2024, 9:49 a.m.

Hi myself sumaiya
I have completed my M.Sc,M.Phil and B.ed
I have work experience from India and UAE
I am planning to apply PGCE through funding opportunities burserie but I have a doubt for the requirements when I came through the uk website its asking for gcse english and math! But already when I was studing in school I have studied in english medium and in my 10th grade I have written CBSE board exam for Math,then do I shld take again math and english? Pls clear my doubt...

Charlotte King March 18, 2024, 4:22 p.m.

Hi Sumaiya – the best thing for you to do is to contact the admissions department of the university that you want to study your PGCE at and they will be able to let you know if you have the necessary qualifications. If you are eligible to apply for their PGCE you should also be eligible to apply for the bursary funding. Best of luck.

Leave a comment