find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: Museum Education
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Education View department profile|
This programme will provide you with opportunities to develop a critical awareness of the historical, social, political, ethical and philosophical context of educating in and through the museum. It draws on the vast experience of academic staff, renowned for world class, research-led teaching and will offer a unique link to the world leading collections available within the Hunterian Museum and other world famous Glasgow museums.
- The programme will offer opportunity for a blend of experiential and online learning. A variety of locations, varying from customised tutorial rooms and arts studios to state of the art object rooms and teaching labs, providing world-class infrastructure to support high quality teaching and learning.
- The city of Glasgow has a rich cultural base and you will be encouraged to engage with the rich source of museum learning that world class museums such as the Hunterian, Kelvingrove, Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) The Burrell Collection, People’s Palace, Riverside Museum and St. Mungo Museum of Religious Arts have to offer.
- In Summer 2016, Kelvin Hall will launch as a centre of cultural excellence, having accessible storage to thousands of objects of historical, social and cultural significance from the collections of the Hunterian, Glasgow museums and the National Library of Scotland. You will have access to these objects and will extend your knowledge and understanding of the value and importance of using such objects for educational purposes.
- You will also undertake a placement in a site of your choosing. You will engage with staff in order to learn from their expertise and experience and you will share your own knowledge and skills, so that a synthesis of knowledge and practices are nurtured to the benefit of all.
- You will have the exciting opportunity to take part in various field trips to museums around Scotland.
The programme comprises a blend of online and experiential learning opportunities. In addition to practical tutorials, you will engage with the online environment in order to share your ideas and experiences with other students.
The programme will encompass fieldwork in a variety of museum education related settings and you will also have the opportunity to participate in field trips to a variety of museums, renowned for their varied and world-leading collections.
Core teaching is followed by a dissertation where you will have the opportunity to identify an area of interest and to create a research project that allows in-depth critical explanation of your selected theme.
- ACCESS AND INCLUSION
- CONTEMPORARY RESEARCH THEORY AND METHODS IN SOCIAL AND PEDAGOGICAL CONTEXTS
- MUSEUMS, EDUCATION AND CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT
- THE MUSEUM AS A SOURCE FOR LEARNING
This is a unique opportunity for teachers to secure a Masters qualification that will not only enhance their career prospects but that will extend, strengthen and instil confidence in their knowledge and skills in terms of learning in and through the museum. For those wishing to enter the field of museum education, or who already work in the sector, the programme offers students the opportunity to develop both practical skills and to apply theoretical knowledge through the placement.
University of Glasgow
School of Education
The University of Glasgow’s School of Education is an ambitious, major international research-led institution with traditional roots in Scottish higher education. We invest in the future of education through world-class research that advances knowledge and practice. Respected for contributions to policy and practice, our teaching and research benefits from strong partnerships with education communities.
Founded in 1451, the University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university in the English-speaking world. The University has a history of changing the world and the School of Education is committed to nurturing the people who make it happen. …View Profile
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here