find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: Educational Leadership
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Education View department profile|
This programme is designed for practising teachers who are either in or aspiring to leadership roles in education. The programme will cover the major elements of leadership, management and education and is designed to provide you with a critical understanding of the principles underpinning leadership and management.
- The Scottish Government’s ambitious aspiration is that teachers should have opportunities to engage in high quality professional learning to enhance the achievement of all pupils. A key element of this programme is practice-focused learning to facilitate a culture of professional enquiry where teachers collaborate with colleagues in developing innovative practice to meet the learning needs of pupils.
- The programme provides a coherent framework for leadership development at all levels. With the introduction of Professional Update, the University of Glasgow offers a flexible programme for all teachers at different stages of their career. There is a focus on collaborative, enquiry-orientated learning, drawing on your own experiences and those of your academic colleagues to bring about improvement.
The programme is designed around teachers in full-time employment and follows a staged pathway towards a masters qualification. It normally takes from three to five years to complete this programme on the modular basis, subject to each participant's progress.
Years 1 and 2
Teachers can choose a starting point appropriate to their experience and role:
- PgCert Teacher Leadership & Learning for early careers teachers and teachers seeking to develop their teaching and leadership skills.
- PgCert Middle Leadership & Management in Schools for aspiring and serving middle leaders to build skills in middle leadership.
- PgCert Into Headship for aspiring Headteachers. The programme aligns with the Framework for Educational Leadership and is part of the national programme for the specialist qualification for headship in Scotland.
Courses dependent on pathway:
Teacher and Middle Leadership pathway
- DYNAMICS AND DILEMMAS OF ETHICAL LEADERSHIP
- LEADING PROFESSIONAL LEARNING
- DESIGNING AND PLANNING A PRACTITIONER ENQUIRY
Two core courses and one optional course.
- SHAPING PROFESSIONAL IDENTITY AND PRACTICE: USING CRITICAL REFLECTION IN THE TRANSITION TO HEADSHIP
- PURSUING EQUITY AND EXCELLENCE IN PRACTICE
- DESIGNING AND PLANNING A PRACTITIONER ENQUIRY*
- DYNAMICS AND DILEMMAS OF ETHICAL LEADERSHIP
*Required for progression to the dissertation.
Year 4 and 5
You will complete a dissertation in an area of professional interest alongside the research methods course. Participants will work in groups with a supervisor as they plan, conduct and review their enquiry into an area of practice.
This programme is designed for teachers looking to develop their understanding of teacher leadership as well as leading to the opportunity of progressing into a variety of leadership roles such as principal teacher, senior school leadership or working as part of a local authority improvement team. You will benefit from a combination of academic and practice-focused learning to develop your capability to lead teaching and learning within your school (or department/faculty), with a focus on realising the objectives of Curriculum for Excellence.
University of Glasgow
School of Education
The University of Glasgow’s School of Education is an ambitious, major international research-led institution with traditional roots in Scottish higher education. We invest in the future of education through world-class research that advances knowledge and practice. Respected for contributions to policy and practice, our teaching and research benefits from strong partnerships with education communities.
Founded in 1451, the University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university in the English-speaking world. The University has a history of changing the world and the School of Education is committed to nurturing the people who make it happen. …View Profile
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here