find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
Queen's University Belfast: School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work
Queen’s University Belfast
The Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
The Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences at Queen’s University is a dynamic community of internationally acclaimed researchers, scholars and students who are committed to creating and sustaining a modern and meaningful place of connected learning. We are open to all talents, welcoming of challenge and change, and dedicated to using our subject expertise to make a difference to lives locally, nationally and internationally.
The Faculty has almost 10,500 students and over 700 academic and support staff who work in and across our five Schools – Arts, English and Languages; History, Anthropology, Philosophy and Politics; Law; Management; and Social Sciences, Education and Social Work, and in the Senator George J. Mitchell Institute for Global Peace, Security and Justice. Our colleagues and students pursue a wide range of activities, including world-leading research and life-changing teaching. Over 40 per cent of our research is ranked in the top 25 per cent for its respective subject area, with a further 40 per cent in the top 50 per cent nationally.
As a member of the Russell Group, Queen’s University Belfast is one of the UK’s 24 leading universities, providing students with a world-class education underpinned by world-class research.
So, with a huge range of undergraduate and postgraduate opportunities, as well as a vibrant postgraduate research culture you will find that Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences at Queen’s University Belfast will challenge and inspire you, as well as equip you with the first-class skills and knowledge to excel in your chosen career.
Our work takes place in an attractive and well-connected estate in the heart of the vibrant city of Belfast, with world class facilities including:
- Sonic Arts Research Laboratory – the world’s only ‘auditory equivalent of an IMAX cinema' with 48 loudspeakers in a specialist acoustic space and recording studio.
- Bloomberg Trading Room – students have access to 12 Bloomberg Terminals, trading simulations and other financial software.
- School of Law building – a new state-of-the-art new building with innovative teaching spaces including an interactive Moot Court and a One-Button Studio for students.
- Brian Friel Theatre – a 120 seat studio theatre, rehearsal room, dressing rooms, green room and workshop.
- Queen’s Film Theatre – a two screen cinema with a combined seating of over 300.
- Seamus Heaney Centre – Centre for excellence in creative writing and poetry.
- Film Studio – a new facility that boasts film industry standard lighting system; adjacent editing and grading suites.
- Harty Room Concert Hall – a hammer-beam vaulted roof and warm acoustic space, seating 120, with two full-concert Steinway grand pianos and many percussion instruments.
Postgraduate Taught Study
The Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences deliver high quality, leading education, through world-class staff, focused on the needs of society. We provide an educational experience that is research-led and enriches our students intellectually, socially and culturally.
We develop our students to be confident, resilient, creative, critical thinkers and problem solvers, with strong employability skills, prepared for leadership and citizenship in a global society.
Within the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences we have five Schools and within each School, we offer a range of innovative and dynamic Postgraduate programmes.
School of Arts, English and Languages
School of History, Anthropology, Philosophy and Politics
Queen’s Management School
School of Law
School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work
Postgraduate Research Study
Innovative research methods underpin all of the projects undertaken by research students in the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, and these skills greatly enhance the employability of our graduates who are seeking careers in leadership roles or within academia.
The quality of the PhD experience is enhanced by a world-leading study environment, which includes the Graduate School, the tailored support of a strong supervisory team, the vitality of the research portfolio. It is evidenced by our high ranking in the UK’s research assessment process and our success in securing major funding from both the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the Economic and Social Science Research Council (ESRC) in the UK.
Over 40 per cent of our research is ranked in the top 25 per cent for its respective subject area, with a further 40 per cent in the top 50 per cent nationally.
Funded PhD Opportunities in the Faculty of AHSS
Global Research Institute
The Senator George J. Mitchell Institute for Global Peace, Security And Justice
Established in 2016, The Senator George J. Mitchell Institute for Global Peace, Security and Justice is a flagship for interdisciplinary research in areas of major societal change. It brings together researchers from a wide range of disciplines to tackle some of the greatest global problems of our age.
Enquiries email@example.comInstitution Profile
- Applied Behaviour Analysis (MSc)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (MSc)
- Children's Rights (MSc)
- Cognitive Behavioural Practice (Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert)
- Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy (Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Criminology (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD)
- Education (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD)
- Educational Leadership (MSc)
- Educational Studies (MEd)
- Inclusion and Special Educational Needs (MEd)
- Mental Health and Mental Capacity Law (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Social Policy (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD)
- Social Science Research (Master of Research - MRes/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Social Work (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD)
- Social Work with Children, Young People and Families (MSc/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Sociology (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD)
- Specialist Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (MSc)
- Substance Use and Substance Use Disorders (MSc/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Systemic Practice and Family Therapy (MSc/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Systemic Psychotherapy (MSc)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) (MSc)
- Youth Justice (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here