find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of the Arts London: Illustration and Visual Media
|Institution||University of the Arts London View institution profile|
|Department||London College of Communication, University of the Arts London|
|Telephone||020 7514 6569|
MA Illustration and Visual Media explores the creation and contextualisation of images at a time of unparalleled possibilities for engagement in visual culture. This course is taught at London College of Communication, at Elephant and Castle, part of University of the Arts London (UAL).
Why choose this course at London College of Communication
• We believe in image makers as authors: We expect you to consider the life of the image in contemporary visual culture in an expanded context and you will generate your own projects that allow you to explore and position your practice in an informed and progressive manner in order to apply your work to the professional visual world. • We are part of a critical community: You will work with theoretical ideas in an applied context and will synthesise critical thought through practice. Through reading groups, seminar sessions, study trips and workshops led by highly qualified and experienced artists and writers you will learn about key ideas to help you think through visual history and culture, and to locate your own practice in a contemporary critical context. • We build networks: You will engage with a dynamic programme of visiting experts from the creative industries, and studio visits to a range of contemporary practitioners’ workplaces. As part of the wider LCC and UAL community you will have access to postgraduate resources, events and opportunities to enhance your career potential. • We equip you with skills for advanced learning: The course expects you to work independently and rigorously outside of your taught studio sessions. The course introduces you to the expectations of working at postgraduate level, where you will take responsibility for managing your own development. You will exploit the potential of working at a higher academic level, which could lead to progression to PhD level study. • We connect resources to contexts: You will have access to world class technical facilities in visual media at LCC including 3D printing, creative coding, Virtual Reality, photography, screen printing, letterpress, print production and bookbinding as well as usage of UAL’s extensive library catalogues and collections of archival material. Led by processes of making you will use your time on the course to generate image-based work that could be situated in a range of professional contexts including publishing, galleries, screenings and gaming, and the capacity to progress to careers as an artist, illustrator, curator, writer or academic.
About London College of Communication
London College of Communication is for the curious, the brave and the committed: those who want to transform themselves and the world around them. Through a diverse, world-leading community of teaching, research and partnerships with industry, we enable our students to succeed as future-facing creatives in the always-evolving design, media and screen industries. The London College of Communication experience is all about learning by doing. Our students get their hands dirty and develop their skills through the exploration of our facilities and technical spaces. Students work on live briefs and commissions, with everything from independent start-ups and charities in Southwark, through to major global companies, including Penguin, the National Trust and Royal Mail, to name a few.
|Level||RQF Level 7|
An Honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional/ academic qualification, or relevant professional experience. Applicants whose 1st language is not English require IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
|Location||London College of Communication|
Elephant & Castle
|EU||22920 GBP for Year 1|
|England||11220 GBP for Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||11220 GBP for Year 1|
|Scotland||11220 GBP for Year 1|
|Wales||11220 GBP for Year 1|
|International||22920 GBP for Year 1|
University of the Arts London
About University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London has ranked second in the world in Art and Design for the fifth year in a row in the 2023 QS World University Rankings.
- Camberwell College of Arts
- Central Saint Martins
- Chelsea College of Arts
- London College of Communication
- London College of Fashion
- Wimbledon College of Arts
- UAL Creative Computing Institute
We have a track record for launching and furthering careers. Our graduates can be found in every part and at every level of the creative and cultural sectors, from heads of global businesses …View Profile
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Drawing, Graphic arts, Illustration, Screen printing, Design theory, Editorial design, Graphic design, Communication design, Visual communication, Printing, Bookbinding, Lithography, Typography, Publishing, Visual arts or Advertising, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here