University of the Arts London: Design for Social Innovation and Sustainable Futures
|Institution||University of the Arts London View institution profile|
|Department||London College of Communication, University of the Arts London|
|Telephone||020 7514 6569|
This course invites people from different creative backgrounds to come together around a shared interest in complex global issues, criticality, collective action and the future of design practice. This course is taught at London College of Communication, at Elephant and Castle, part of University of the Arts London (UAL).
**Why choose this course at London College of Communication**
• Create real impact - This course invites you to generate work that will have a positive influence and impact on the world. At different scales and in different ways.
• Collaborate widely - The open studio culture within this course will involve you working with people with a variety of backgrounds and lived experiences, from all over the world, inside and outside the university walls.
• Expand your network and your mind - The course will introduce you to a range of people and places working in the field of social innovation and sustainable futures. Through workshops, talks, visits, exhibitions and events you will take a critical look at existing practice and theory while developing your own knowledge.
• Figure out your unique values and purpose - This course will give you opportunities to explore what matters most to you, what change you want to make in the world now and in the future.
• Future-facing skills - Develop a range of fundamental transferable skills such as design research, impact evaluation, participatory design, social entrepreneurship and critical analysis. Setting you up for your unique professional future as a responsible creative practitioner.
**What can you expect?**
This course has been designed using principles from human-centered design, and building on the concept of humanity-centered design. You will delve deeply into research methodologies, prototyping and experimentation, ideation, service design and systems thinking. Through various forms of collaboration inside and outside the university walls, you will learn to connect, frame, re-imagine and build for more sustainable futures. You will be exposed to different theories in social innovation and sustainable practice. You will be invited to critique these and build your own knowledge. You’ll be given opportunities to participate in a diverse range of experiences including workshops, presentations, exhibitions, symposia, knowledge exchange and skills sharing.
**About London College of Communication**
London College of Communication is for the curious, the brave and the committed: those who want to transform themselves and the world around them. Through a diverse, world-leading community of teaching, research and partnerships with industry, we enable our students to succeed as future-facing creatives in the always-evolving design, media and screen industries. The London College of Communication experience is all about learning by doing. Our students get their hands dirty and develop their skills through the exploration of our facilities and technical spaces. Students work on live briefs and commissions, with everything from independent start-ups and charities in Southwark, through to major global companies, including Penguin, the National Trust and Royal Mail, to name a few.
|Level||RQF Level 7|
The MA Design for Social Innovation and Sustainable Futures course welcomes applicants who are keen to explore design in terms of its human-centred and strategic approach, its collaborative potential, and as a leading force for driving meaningful and contextually relevant societal and ecological transformation.
Applicants may come from a range of design disciplines or related creative industry experiences with a 2:1 or above Honours degree course, or have other equivalent qualifications.
The course team also welcomes students with relevant technical/ practical background experience who have worked in creative industries and who show a commitment to design and experiential learning, being keen to explore their practice as a place of sustainable action and social transformation.
The teaching team is looking for applicants who value critical thinking and socially and environmentally focused design, and are looking to question the relationship of design industry and the global systems it inhabits.
|Location||London College of Communication|
Elephant & Castle
|EU||11220 GBP for Year 1|
|England||11220 GBP for Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||11220 GBP for Year 1|
|Scotland||11220 GBP for Year 1|
|Wales||11220 GBP for Year 1|
|International||22920 GBP for Year 1|
University of the Arts London
About University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked second in the world for Art and Design in the 2020 QS World University Rankings® for the second year in a row, and is Europe's largest specialist university for art and design.
UAL draws together six renowned Colleges, each with a long established, global reputation for producing outstanding work:
- Camberwell College of Arts
- Central Saint Martins
- Chelsea College of Arts
- London College of Communication
- London College of Fashion
- Wimbledon College of Arts
Our graduates go on to work in and ...View Profile
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Design, Design theory, Communication design, Visual communication, Graphic communication, Visual arts, Business innovation, Social enterprise, Strategic management, Environment or Critical thinking, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here