University of Glasgow: International Law and Security
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Law View department profile|
This is an innovative programme that focuses on the role and relevance of international law in a rapidly changing global security environment. It reflects the breadth of contemporary international security issues, addressing issues as diverse as terrorism, armed conflicts and transnational organised crime.
If you want to increase your horizons to an international platform, look beyond domestic legal orders and learn about global security issues, this LLM is ideal for you.
You will be taught by an excellent team that truly understands international issues, with staff drawn from Canada, Germany, Scotland, Greece and Uzbekistan.
* You will be equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills to work as security consultant or practitioner with governments, international organizations and NGOs.
* The programme includes optional participation in a student trip to Geneva.
* We offer excellent facilities including our dedicated School of Law library; our main University library also contains our extensive collection of legal materials and official publications and is a European Documentation Centre.
* The programme is based on small-group, seminar-style teaching by experts in the field. The programme is complemented by guest speaker events and research workshops, allowing students to get involved with leading academics from outside Glasgow.
You are required to take one core course and three optional courses, as well as to submit a dissertation. Courses are delivered through a combination of lectures, seminars and project work.
### Core course
* INTERNATIONAL LAW AND INTERNATIONAL SECURITY
### Optional courses may include
* ADVANCED INTRODUCTION TO INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL LAW
* ADVANCED INTRODUCTION TO THE LAW OF THE UNITED NATIONS
* CLINIC: HUMAN RIGHTS AND HUMANITARIAN LAW IN PRACTICE
* INTERNATIONAL AND EUROPEAN HUMAN RIGHTS LAW
* INTERNATIONAL COURTS AND TRIBUNALS
* INTERNATIONAL LAW AND INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC GOVERNANCE
* INTERNATIONAL SECURITY AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
* THE LAWS OF ARMED CONFLICT
There is a high demand for law professionals with expertise in international law and security. You will be well placed for roles in international institutions, government departments (ministries of foreign affairs, defence, justice, home affairs, and development), non-governmental organisations and law firms.
University of Glasgow
The School of Law
The University of Glasgow’s School of Law equips you with the knowledge and skills you need in an increasingly competitive legal market. Our graduates have gone on to work in international courts, the European Commission, banking and finance, international law firms, governments, and academic institutions around the world.
Founded in 1451, the University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university in the English-speaking world and law has been taught from the beginning. The University has a history of changing the world and the School of Law is committed to nurturing the people who …View Profile
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here