Goldsmiths, University of London: Script Writing
|Institution||Goldsmiths, University of London View institution profile|
|Department||Media, Communications and Cultural Studies|
The skills of storytelling are timeless. Tackle the creative, analytical and professional sides of script writing for film, television and radio on this industry-accredited MA.
With myriad new media platforms there are more opportunities to create content than ever before. And all these require a script and a story. But how do you get your work to industry-standard and in front of the right people?
**The questions we explore**
The main question you have to ask yourself for this MA programme is: do I really need to be a writer more than anything else? That’s quite brutal, but script writing is a tough profession. You’re totally exposed as a creative person, it’s you and the page and the tradition in which you’re working, and that can be a liberating but also uncomfortable place to be.
**The processes we use**
The programme is not about learning how to be a writer; it’s about developing and pushing forward your own writing projects as far and as fast as you can within 12 months. You’ll be developing your own voice, learning how to critique the work of others, and getting to grips with marketing your projects. You’ll also be making industry contacts so you can pitch for employment in an extremely competitive industry.
You’ll cover every aspect of the writing process from getting ideas, maintaining productive writing practices and developing characters and story lines, to presenting your work to an industry standard and pitching your ideas. Writing is a lonely business – that’s why the community of writers that the programme gives you is such a creative advantage.
**The approach we take**
This is an MA that really focuses on you as the student. There are lectures, but most of the time you’ll be working one-to-one with a writing tutor or within small group workshops (with a maximum of 13 people).
We keep the course small deliberately. In this way we know your individual work and you know other students’ work through the weekly feedback process. We also believe you don’t know who you are until you’re relating to another person, and ultimately this is what script writing is about: making that connection.
**Why study MA Script Writing at Goldsmiths?**
- Focus on further developing your own feature film or TV project in a workshop-based environment limited to twelve students, ensuring intensive engagement.
- Study on one of the few MA Scriptwriting programmes accredited by ScreenSkills.
- Gain industry exposure from multiple angles. Attend lectures given by industry professionals, and have your scripts read by professional actors at a Script Showcase, attended by agents and other industry professionals.
- Be supported in finding an industry mentor who can encourage and support your development and skills as a scriptwriter, thanks to the programme’s Industry Mentor Scheme.
- See your scripts come to life in collaboration with other MA Filmmaking students in the Department at certain points in the programme, and contribute to others’ productions, for example, as a script editor.
- Make use of our on-campus Curzon Cinema for daytime screening events, and evening first-run films offered at student prices.
- Study within Goldsmiths’ Department of Media, Communications and Cultural Studies, and hone your craft in a critical, stimulating, and interdisciplinary creative environment.
|Level||RQF Level 7|
You will be considered for this programme on the basis of your submitted creative work and your interview. If you are not a graduate you may be asked to show that you have the ability to work at postgraduate level.
If English isn’t your first language, you’ll need to meet our English language requirements of IELTS 7.0 with a 7.0 in writing and no element lower than 6.5 to study with us.
|Location||Goldsmiths, University of London|
Goldsmiths, University of London
An incubator for ideas
Creativity has always been the hallmark of Goldsmiths. Academic excellence and imaginative course content combine to make a place where creative minds can thrive and ideas are allowed to grow.
A world leader in new knowledge
Our academics cooperate across disciplines to create exciting new courses and develop novel approaches to research issues. Our interdisciplinary ethos has helped us to become a national leader in many subject areas.
The QS World ...
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Literature, Creative writing, Media studies or Film studies, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here