find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Wales Trinity Saint David: PGCE courses
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Institute of Education
Yr Athrofa: The Institute of Education at UWTSD Swansea
Supporting the learners of today to inspire the leaders of tomorrow
The Athrofa Professional Learning Partnership (APLP), a combination of school and university staff working together to deliver teacher training, was one of just four training centers chosen to offer teacher education beyond 2019.
The commendation ensures Wales’ oldest teacher training center – ranked 1st in Wales in the National Student Survey for the past two years – will continue training new teachers long into the future.
The next Student Teacher Open Day is Saturday, 18 August 2018 - www.uwtsd.ac.uk/pgce-information-days
"I spoke to former students who were here who had nothing but praise for the course, the University and the tutors. When I came to visit, to meet the tutors and have my interview, it just reinforced it. I thought: ‘This is where I want to be, these are the people I want to work with.’"
Steve Kettle, PGCE English
Yr Athrofa offers a wide range of teacher education programmes at Primary and Secondary level.
Our Secondary subjects include Art and Design, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Computing and ICT, Design and Technology, English, Geography, History, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Physics, Religious Education, Science and Welsh.
There are up to £20,000 bursaries to train to teach on the PGCE programmes; dependent on subject and degree qualification: www.uwtsd.ac.uk/pgce/pgce-bursaries.
Why train to teach at UWTSD Yr Athrofa?
- UWTSD was ranked 1st in Wales for student satisfaction in Teacher Education and in the top 10 UK universities for student satisfaction in Academic Studies in Education in 2017.
- UWTSD moved up 23 places and was ranked 15th in the UK for education in the 2019 Guardian Complete University Guide.
- We have Professional Learning Partnerships with more than 100 schools from across Wales, working to support the next generation of classroom teachers.
- Unique to Yr Athrofa, bridging is the way in which we bring theory and practice together using a three-step process of 'meet, test and share'.
- Our annual Aiming for Excellence conference is a showcase of the very best Welsh education has to offer. With presentations from students, schools and keynote speakers such as Professor Graham Donaldson and Cabinet Secretary for Education Kirsty Williams.
- Our GCSE equivalency test will enable you to proceed on to a PGCE course if you do not hold a GCSE grade B in English or Mathematics.
New SA1 Purpose Built Campus
The Swansea campus is a new, state-of-the-art development that builds on its founding institutions and proud history of transforming lives through education.
These purpose‐built facilities offer the very latest in education technology and their location in the heart of Swansea Waterfront ensures they cater for every need.
Yr Athrofa is a stimulating and enquiring faculty with values rooted in justice, equity, democracy, human rights, citizenship and encouraging high aspirations for all.
Yr Athrofa enables students to develop into skilled, creative, and employable graduates who will contribute to society and be responsible citizens of the world.
Proud of our heritage and the distinctive nature of the nation we serve, Yr Athrofa is unashamedly ambitious, drawing upon international best practice to inform our work at home and abroad.
Yr Athrofa is engaged in a wide range of small and large-scale research projects with key stakeholders across the spectrum of education, involving schools, regional education consortia and partners overseas.
In addition, Yr Athrofa is proud to be working in partnership with the Welsh Government and colleagues on a number of important educational initiatives, including the design and development of Wales’ new national curriculum.
For more information about Yr Athrofa and its work, see page: www.athrofa.cymru.
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- Art and Design (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Biology with Science (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Business Studies (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Chemistry with Science (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Design and Technology (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- English (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Geography (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- History (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Information Communication Technology (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Lower Primary (PGCE Primary) (PGCE)
- Lower Primary - Welsh Medium (PGCE Primary) (PGCE)
- Mathematics (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Mathematics with ICT (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Modern Languages (French and German) (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Modern Languages (French) (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Modern Languages (French with Spanish) (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Modern Languages (German with French) (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Modern Languages (Spanish with French) (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Physics with Science (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Religious Education (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Science (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
- Upper Primary (PGCE Primary) (PGCE)
- Upper Primary - Welsh Medium (PGCE Primary) (PGCE)
- Welsh (PGCE Secondary) (PGCE)
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here