University of Birmingham: School of Educationhttps://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/education/index.aspx
University of Birmingham
The School of Education
The School of Education has a long-standing reputation as a centre of excellence for teaching and research in a wide range of areas of educational practice and policy.
The School is an Outstanding Provider of Teacher Training for Primary and Secondary Education, as accredited by Ofsted (Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills) and offers Teacher Training for both Primary and Secondary Education.
It is an international leader within its field and one of the largest research-led schools of education in the UK employing over 100 academic staff who teach more than 2,500 students. It is also home to a number of departments and research centres.
The School is in the Top 6 for HEI provision in the Good Teacher Training Guide 2017.
Our Primary and Secondary teacher training courses prepare top graduates for a career inspiring learning and transforming lives. Our teacher training courses work in partnership with a wide range of primary and secondary schools, sixth form colleges and special schools, across Birmingham and the surrounding authorities, to offer both core and School Direct routes for teacher training. Like a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) the Post-Graduate Diploma in Primary or Secondary Education (PGDipEd) is a teacher training programme leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) however it has the advantage of offering the equivalent of 120 credits which may be used towards our MA in Teaching Studies.
The School also offers a wide variety of Masters and Professional Development Programmes which are ideal for teachers and other professionals who wish to study towards higher qualifications or obtain mandatory qualifications in a broad range of educational fields, which are linked to the research interests of members of staff. It provides specialist training and expertise in many areas of educational practice and policy, including: Autism; Bilingualism in Education; Education for Health Professionals; Inclusion and Special Educational Needs; International Studies in Education; Management of Special Education in Developing Countries; Multisensory Impairment; and Teaching English to Speakers of Another Language (TESOL).
There are also wide and varied opportunities for students to undertake Research Programmes that will support the growth of research skills and build on subject knowledge.
The School of Education is located at the heart of the University’s vast, green and park-like campus and provides students with access to a wide range of facilities including well-equipped classrooms, a student common room, computer facilities and its own café.
“Training to teach at the University of Birmingham enhanced my career prospects by equipping me with the right skills and expertise to be an outstanding practitioner. Due to the nature of the course at University of Birmingham, I gained subject knowledge of all areas of the curriculum and also the holistic side to teaching.”
Katrina Crowley, Alumni
School of Education
University of Birmingham
B15 2TT, UK
For General Enquiries (see below for course enquiries)
Telephone: +44 (0)121 414 4866
Fax: +44 (0)121 414 4865
- Autism (Adults) (Advanced Certificate/BPhil/MEd/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Autism (Children) (Advanced Certificate/BPhil/MEd/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Bilingualism in Education (MEd/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Character Education (MA)
- EdD Education (EdD)
- Education (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD)
- Education for Health Professionals (MEd/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Education MA by Research (MA (Res))
- Education of Learners with Multisensory Impairment (Deaf and Blindness) (Advanced Certificate/BPhil/MEd/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Inclusion and Special Educational Needs (MEd/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- International Studies in Education (MA)
- International Studies in Education (Education and Development Pathway) (MA)
- Language, Literacies and Dyslexia (MEd/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Management of Special Education in Developing Countries (MA)
- Mandatory Qualification for Teachers of Children and Young People with Vision Impairments (MEd/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- School Improvement and Educational Leadership (MA/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Severe, Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties (Advanced Certificate/MEd/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties (SEBD) (Advanced Certificate/BPhil/MEd/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Social Research (Education) (MA)
- Special Educational Needs Coordination (Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert)
- Teachers of Children with Hearing Impairment (MEd/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) (MA/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Teaching Studies (Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here