Aberystwyth University: Chemistry with Balanced Science (Secondary PGCE)
|Institution||Aberystwyth University View institution profile|
|Department||School of Education|
PGCE Chemistry 3DGR
The PGCE Secondary Chemistry course is a one-year course that leads to the award of qualified teacher status. The course aims to give student teachers the professional skills needed to become reflective practitioners, prepared to teach ambitious, capable and confident learners who are informed about the world beyond school.
**Qualification: Postgraduate Certificate in Education - PGCE
Study mode: Full time
Duration: 1 Year
Assessment on the course takes a range of forms including, for example: essays, reflective writing, presentations, lesson plans, action research project. There are no formal examinations. Assessment of practice takes place throughout all three placements on a continuous basis.
**Qualified teacher status (QTS)**
To work as a teacher at a state school in England or Wales, you will need to achieve qualified teacher status (QTS). This is offered on this course for the following level:
• A degree, at least 50% of which is Chemistry-related. We consider students with degrees in related subjects, for example, Biochemistry and Chemical Engineering. There will be gaps in subject knowledge for all students and the course is designed to address this issue.
• To support Welsh Government’s Literacy and Numeracy framework students must have achieved a standard equivalent to a Grade B in the GCSE examination in any of the following:
- English Language
- English Literature
- Welsh Language (First Language)
- Welsh Literature
Where an equivalent to a grade B in either English Literature or Welsh Literature is achieved, a minimum of a grade C must be achieved in the corresponding GCSE examination in English or Welsh (First) Language. A grade B in the GCSE Examination in Mathematics or Mathematics-Numeracy must also be achieved.
The University offers tests in these subjects if you do not have these requirements.
• Experience or observation in a school setting is an advantage.
• Literacy and numeracy skills tests will form part of the selection process on the day of the interview.
Postgraduate Certificate in Education - PGCE
|Level||RQF Level 7|
• A first degree, at least 50% of which is Chemistry-related. We consider students with degrees in related subjects. There will be gaps in subject knowledge for all students and the course is designed to address this issue.
|Location||Main Site (Aberystwyth)|
Learn and live in an exceptional environment.
The Town and University
Established in 1872, Aberystwyth University was the first University Institution in Wales and has a long tradition of excellence in teaching and research.
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Chemistry or Chemistry (secondary teaching), or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here