University of Portsmouth: MSc Information Systems (with Professional Experience)
|Institution||University of Portsmouth View institution profile|
|Department||Faculty of Technology|
|Telephone||023 9284 5566|
Do you want to get professional experience of information systems while qualifying with a Master's degree in the field?
On this MSc Information Systems (with Professional Experience) degree course, you'll combine a placement or professional experience with taught modules that develop your skills in the management of information systems. You'll see how you can apply information systems tools in emerging technologies and start-ups and get experience in web product design and development.
When you complete the course successfully, your Master's degree and professional experience could lead to career opportunities in areas such as business analysis, information security and systems analysis.
**What you'll experience**
On this Master of Science in Information Systems course you'll:
- Take part in professional experience activities, or in a placement, putting what you learn on the course to work in industry
- Get experience in web product design and development including user experience design and programming languages
- Develop an understanding of the foundations of information systems and technology
- Learn about advanced information systems management including the tools and methodologies of project management
- Learn techniques for the management of IT networks and databases
- Develop the analytical skills and technical knowledge you need to succeed in your information systems career
- Study in our School of Computing and engage with emerging technologies, enterprise in start-ups, and information security
- Get experience with network and database tools
- Experience lectures led by active researchers and experienced professionals with teaching that covers the latest industry trends and developments
- Learn about current industry practice and available job opportunities from guest speakers
- Take part in field trips to apply your learning and find out how emerging technologies are used in industry
- Learn soft and transferable skills suitable for any role, such as critical thinking, communication (written and presentation skills), working with peers, developing initiative and enterprise skills
**Careers and opportunities**
The information systems field is growing with the emergence of new technologies and swift changes in company goals. This Master's degree in Information Systems gives you the understanding and practice to significantly improve your career prospects.
Importantly, you'll have the opportunity to get experience of working in the industry on a professional experience module. You'll apply your learning in areas such as database management, information systems and web product development. This gives you an advantage over other graduates, who may understand theory but not practice, when you apply for jobs.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work. You can get help, advice and support from our Careers and Employability service for up to 5 years after you leave the University as you advance in your career.
**What can you do with a Master of Science in Information Systems?**
Previous graduates have gone on to work in areas including:
- business analysis
- project management
- systems analysis
- business intelligence
- information security
|Level||RQF Level 7|
A second-class honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 6.0.
Winston Churchill Avenue
|EU||7800 GBP for Year 1|
|England||7800 GBP for Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||7800 GBP for Year 1|
|Scotland||7800 GBP for Year 1|
|Wales||7800 GBP for Year 1|
|Channel Islands||7800 GBP for Year 1|
|International||16400 GBP for Year 1|
University of Portsmouth
We are the University of Portsmouth: a new breed of university, dedicated to your personal growth and development. Our horizons are broad. Our instinct is to explore. Our promise is to inspire.
Taught qualification or independent research? On-campus teaching or online part-time study? At Portsmouth, you can choose from a wide range of subjects and modes of study.
Find out what it's like to study here by attending one of our Postgraduate Open Evenings in February or March to find out how we can unlock your potential. Get face time with course leaders, enjoy top tips ...
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Information systems, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here