University of Portsmouth: MSc Information Systems (with Professional Experience)
|Institution||University of Portsmouth View institution profile|
|Department||Faculty of Technology|
|Telephone||023 9284 5566|
Do you want to get professional experience of information systems while qualifying with a Master's degree in the field?
On this MSc Information Systems (with Professional Experience) degree course, you'll combine a placement or professional experience with taught modules that develop your skills in the management of information systems. You'll see how you can apply information systems tools in emerging technologies and start-ups and get experience in web product design and development.
When you complete the course successfully, your Master's degree and professional experience could lead to career opportunities in areas such as business analysis, information security and systems analysis.
**What you'll experience**
On this Master of Science in Information Systems course you'll:
- Take part in professional experience activities, or in a placement, putting what you learn on the course to work in industry
- Get experience in web product design and development including user experience design and programming languages
- Develop an understanding of the foundations of information systems and technology
- Learn about advanced information systems management including the tools and methodologies of project management
- Learn techniques for the management of IT networks and databases
- Develop the analytical skills and technical knowledge you need to succeed in your information systems career
- Study in our School of Computing and engage with emerging technologies, enterprise in start-ups, and information security
- Get experience with network and database tools
- Experience lectures led by active researchers and experienced professionals with teaching that covers the latest industry trends and developments
- Learn about current industry practice and available job opportunities from guest speakers
- Take part in field trips to apply your learning and find out how emerging technologies are used in industry
- Learn soft and transferable skills suitable for any role, such as critical thinking, communication (written and presentation skills), working with peers, developing initiative and enterprise skills
**Careers and opportunities**
The information systems field is growing with the emergence of new technologies and swift changes in company goals. This Master's degree in Information Systems gives you the understanding and practice to significantly improve your career prospects.
Importantly, you'll have the opportunity to get experience of working in the industry on a professional experience module. You'll apply your learning in areas such as database management, information systems and web product development. This gives you an advantage over other graduates, who may understand theory but not practice, when you apply for jobs.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work. You can get help, advice and support from our Careers and Employability service for up to 5 years after you leave the University as you advance in your career.
**What can you do with a Master of Science in Information Systems?**
Previous graduates have gone on to work in areas including:
- business analysis
- project management
- systems analysis
- business intelligence
- information security
|Level||RQF Level 7|
A second-class honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 6.0.
You’ll be assessed through:
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
On this Master's degree in Information Systems, you'll study modules worth 190 credits.
Computer Management and Networking
Winston Churchill Avenue
|EU||8700 GBP for Year 1|
|England||8700 GBP for Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||8700 GBP for Year 1|
|Scotland||8700 GBP for Year 1|
|Wales||8700 GBP for Year 1|
|Channel Islands||8700 GBP for Year 1|
|International||15900 GBP for Year 1|
University of Portsmouth
We are the University of Portsmouth: progressive and proud of our city’s heritage. We stand out as a new kind of university, a breath of fresh air in the academic world.
Portsmouth is a place for people who want to make a difference. We’re intent on discovery and our excellent research makes an impact, not just in the UK, but on the world. With over 200 postgraduate degrees to choose from, The University is a place where you’ll be encouraged to find your niche, and be supported to go beyond what you thought possible ...
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Information systems, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here