University of Portsmouth: MPA Public Administration (Distance Learning) (Degree Apprenticeship)
|Institution||University of Portsmouth View institution profile|
|Department||Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences|
Are you ready to take the next step in your central, regional or local government career? This 2-year senior leader MPA Public Administration Master’s degree apprenticeship allows you to build your skills and get your MPA qualification while you work full time.
The course is work-based, and you'll typically spend about 20% of your working week studying. You'll need to do some additional studying outside of work time, and distance learning students will still be invited to visit the University occasionally. The Government or your employer pay your tuition fees – so it doesn’t cost you anything.
You’ll develop your strategic leadership and management capabilities and get the knowledge you need to take on ambitious new roles. You'll cover public policy, service and administration from inter-cultural, inter-professional and inter-organisational perspectives.
You'll also study specialist areas relating to public administration, such as the legal system and corporate governance, and learn transferable skills that will be valuable throughout your career. You’ll have many opportunities to put what you learn into practice, as you’ll be completing the course alongside your job.
When you finish the course, you'll have the confidence to take on more challenging leadership roles in the future and become more effective in your existing role.
**What you'll experience**
On this course, you'll:
- Critically examine how public policies are made and implemented
- Gain specialist knowledge in fields that match your career aspirations
- Learn how to solve complex issues with a creative approach
- Boost your ability to lead and manage strategically
- Cover topics such as citizenship, the legal system and corporate governance
- Compare policy processes and outputs in specific fields, including health, education, welfare, economic development, defence, policing and European integration
- Examine public policies, management systems and administrative systems from an international perspective
- Assess the effectiveness of public organisations
- Complete a personal project on a topic of your choice
- Get a learning manager from the University and a workplace mentor
- Access our Library resources, including electronic resources which you can accessed from anywhere with a web connection
- Have access to the University's student support services and community including study support and the Students’ Union
- Receive feedback from and take part in discussions with lecturers and other students (accessible via live web-based chat forums for distance learners)
**Careers and opportunities**
You can put the skills you’ll learn on this course to use wherever your public administration career takes you.
Previous Portsmouth Public Administration students have gone on to take up senior roles in local and central governments, and with United Nations and other non-governmental organisations.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
|Level||RQF Level 7|
A good honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent. Exceptionally, a strong profile of relevant professional experience and/or training and demonstration of academic ability to achieve at postgraduate level, will be considered.
All applicants to the Degree Apprenticeship courses must have an acceptable Level 2 qualification in English and Mathematics. Acceptable qualifications include GCSE with grade C/4 or above and Functional Skills with Pass - please note that we are not able to accept all kinds of Level 2 qualifications, so if you an unsure whether you have a suitable qualification please get in touch. If you do not have an acceptable qualification you may be required to take an additional assessment during the application process.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.5.
University of Portsmouth
We are the University of Portsmouth: a new breed of university, dedicated to your personal growth and development. Our horizons are broad. Our instinct is to explore. Our promise is to inspire.
Taught qualification or independent research? On-campus teaching or online part-time study? At Portsmouth, you can choose from a wide range of subjects and modes of study.
- No.21 university in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2020)
- Outstanding Gold-rated teaching for our students (TEF)
- Dedicated Graduate School supporting all research students
- 82% satisfaction with research degree experience (PRES POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH EXPERIENCE SURVEY 2019)
- Master ...
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Public administration, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here