find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: Science Communications
|University of Glasgow View institution profile
|School of Molecular Biosciences
The world of science has changed dramatically since the arrival of SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus in 2019. Never has it been so crucial to have skilled science communicators presenting technical information accurately and engagingly, while also organising and managing communication across the complex areas of science. It is vital to engage all stakeholders, to participate in scientific research, and to make science more accessible and inclusive.
Be a part of the next generation of writers and editors responsible for disseminating scientific discoveries to the general public.
Join a unique programme that will develop skills related to communicating science to different audiences.
Be a part of the next generation of writers and editors responsible for disseminating scientific discoveries to the general public. Join a unique programme that will develop skills related to communicating science to different audiences. Watch our latest Ask Your Academic webinar to find out more about this programme.
- Attend and participate in seminars from leaders in the field: Ashfield Medical, Allegro and Sense about Science.
- Focus on employability skills.
- Gain skills on how to write science magazine articles, press releases, use social media and podcasts for the delivery of science to the general population and others.
- Gain valuable understanding and a range of skills for interdisciplinary working and interpreting copyright law and intellectual property.
- Be taught by international staff and external experts, offering great flexibility to suit individual student needs.
The programme provides a grounding in the principles and practice of science communications, and an opportunity to start a career in the UK and overseas.
The teaching programme is given in the form of lectures, seminars, tutorials, team work and self-directed learning.
Additional resources such as videos and online chats are available through Moodle, the university’s virtual learning environment, and Microsoft Teams, to support and enhance the learning experience.
The following core and optional courses are available:
- CLINICAL TRIALS : PRINCIPLES AND METHODS
- DIGITAL MEDIA
- INTRODUCTION TO MEDICAL COMMUNICATIONS
- SCIENCE COMMUNICATIONS DISSERTATION
- SCIENTIFIC WRITING FOR MEDICAL COMMUNICATIONS
- CREATIVE WRITING: EDITING AND PUBLICATION 1
- CURRENT TRENDS AND CHALLENGES IN BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH AND HEALTH
- REAL-WORLD DATA IN HEALTH CARE DECISION MAKING
- DIAGNOSTIC TECHNOLOGIES AND DEVICES
- RESEARCH DESIGN
This programme will provide an excellent background for those wishing to establish a career in science communications, from medical writing/editing to freelance writing.
Students will receive training by attending courses and seminars with Ashfield medical and Allegro, two prominent medical writing and editing companies. We also have a number of industrial partners that will deliver sessions on social media management, press releases and freelance writing.
Example jobs include:
- Freelance writer
- Medical editor
- Medical writer
- Social media manager
The University of Glasgow is one of the UK’s most prestigious seats of learning, and the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world. Established in 1451 and recognised for its world-changing research and teaching, the University has inspired thinkers from eminent scientist Lord Kelvin and the father of economics Adam Smith, to Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- is ranked 81st in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2023
- is in the top 100 in the world: Times Higher World University Rankings 2023
- 95.9% of students in employment or further study 6 months after graduation …
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here