find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: Chemical Biology
|University of Glasgow View institution profile
|School of Molecular Biosciences
A joint programme between the School of Molecular Biosciences and the School of Chemistry (SoC). It will provide advanced training in the areas of synthetic chemistry, biologically active molecules, and detailed knowledge of the biophysical characterisation techniques that can be used to examine these systems. Aimed at students with either a good Chemistry or a Biological Sciences undergraduate degree and will train its graduates with state-of-the-art knowledge of the core areas of the chemical biology field.
Capitalise on existing expertise in chemical biology and existing research collaborations between IMCSB and SoC in in biological chemistry (Bullied, Tokatlidis, Hartley, Jamieson), biophysics (Stark, Magennis, Smith, Thomson) and structural biology (Spagnolo, Walden, Smith).
Expertise in the area of chemical biology is of great interest to pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, which are increasingly working across traditional discipline boundaries.
Capitalise on existing expertise in chemical biology and existing research collaborations between IMCSB and SoC in in biological chemistry (Bullied, Tokatlidis, Hartley, Jamieson), biophysics (Stark, Magennis, Smith, Thomson) and structural biology (Spagnolo, Walden, Smith). Expertise in the area of chemical biology is of great interest to pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, which are increasingly working across traditional discipline boundaries. Watch our latest Ask Your Academic webinar to find out more about this programme.
- The School of Chemistry is a member of ScotCHEM that brings together seven Universities in Scotland. ScotCHEM is committed to excellence and to providing the highest quality postgraduate education and researcher experience.
- The school has an Athena Swan Bronze Award, demonstrating the school’s commitment to supporting women in scientific studies and careers, and to improving the working environment for all.
- Benefit from our links with industrial scientists, often from pharmaceutical companies, who regularly visit the School of Chemistry to give presentations.
Main Campus Location
Gilmorehill Campus in the West End of Glasgow. Easy to get to by bus, train, subway and car.
Courses will be split between the College of Medical, Veterinary & Life Sciences and the School of Chemistry.
The courses at all stages will emphasise the practical aspects of chemical biology research, describing and where possible giving hands-on experience of cutting edge techniques. The students will therefore gain an appreciation of the realities of experiment design and execution at the interface between chemistry and biology.
- BIOMOLECULAR INTERACTIONS
- CHEMICAL RESEARCH SKILLS
- MOLECULAR RESEARCH SKILLS
- RECOMBINANT PROTEIN EXPRESSION
- BIOCONJUGATION CHEMISTRY
- BIOPHYSICS - MOLECULAR PROBES
- BIOPHYSICS - MOLECULAR RULERS
- BIOPOLYMER CHEMISTRY AND SYNTHESIS
- REDOX BIOLOGY
- THE CHEMICAL BIOLOGY TOOLKIT
- CHEMICAL BIOLOGY RESEARCH PROJECT
This programme has been constructed in order to furnish graduates with a broad range of skills that will make them highly employable in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
The broader perspective afforded by this programme will give graduates a competitive advantage over those with purely chemistry or biology training.
Similarly, graduates of this programme will have theoretical and practical knowledge that will make them strong candidates for further study at PhD level.
The University of Glasgow is one of the UK’s most prestigious seats of learning, and the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world. Established in 1451 and recognised for its world-changing research and teaching, the University has inspired thinkers from eminent scientist Lord Kelvin and the father of economics Adam Smith, to Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- is ranked 81st in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2023
- is in the top 100 in the world: Times Higher World University Rankings 2023
- 95.9% of students in employment or further study 6 months after graduation …
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here