find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: Oral Sciences
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Medicine, Dentistry & Nursing|
This MSc programme is designed to provide students with an in-depth working knowledge of the principles and practice related to Oral Sciences.
The major strength of this programme, and what sets its apart from other Oral Sciences based MSc programmes offered in the UK, is its focus on research.
You will gain a wealth of theoretical and practical knowledge related to Oral Sciences research and spend time in the laboratories conducting your own research project under the direction of internationally renowned members from the Oral Sciences Research Group located within Glasgow Dental School.
Students will experience and participate in cutting edge research within the theme while learning techniques widely relevant to biomedical sciences.
- Learn through an in-depth, evidence based, critical approach about specialising in a particular area – oral disease pathogenesis or infection control and decontamination.
- Learn from staff who are internationally experienced researchers and academics with both clinical and science backgrounds and are experts in biofilm infections, oral inflammation and infection control.
- A long tradition of excellence in Oral Sciences at the University of Glasgow, with pioneering research by MacFarlane, Samaranayake and Bagg, and other current Glasgow academics continuing to make important contributions to the field of Oral Sciences.
- Pursue and further your career in oral and dental related occupations, as well as a laboratory scientist or an academic.
- A range of transferable skills are integrated and embedded into this programme, which will improve possibilities in the job market.
- Undertake research alongside pre and post-doctoral researchers.
- Learn to work as a team and improve technical skills and communication.
- Receive first-hand experience within a dedicated oral sciences research laboratory infrastructure linked directly to clinical research facilities.
Main Campus Location
This programme is undertaken at the Glasgow Dental Hospital, in the City Centre of Glasgow. Easy to travel to by bus, train or car.
- EVIDENCE-BASED BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH METHODS AND STATISTICS
- TRANSLATIONAL RESEARCH APPROACHES IN ORAL SCIENCES,
- LABORATORY TECHNIQUES IN ORAL SCIENCES
- ORAL SCIENCES RESEARCH SKILLS
- THERAPEUTICS AND DIAGNOSTICS IN ORAL SCIENCES
- RESEARCH DISSERTATION IN ORAL SCIENCES
- QUALITY IMPROVEMENT IN HEALTH CARE
- CLINICAL AND RESEARCH LABORATORY SKILLS
- PERIODONTITIS AND IMPLICATIONS FOR SYSTEMIC DISEASE
- DECONTAMINATION AND INFECTION CONTROL
Graduates are well placed for a variety of employment opportunities in the oral and dental industries, as well as a wide array of the biomedical science sectors.
This course provides a sound basis from which to apply for employment in:
- Laboratory positions in industry or in academia
- Continue professional training in dentistry and oral hygiene
- Further doctoral-level research training for academic
- Teaching careers.
A high proportion of our graduates go on to complete PhDs in Glasgow or other high quality institutions across the world.
Careers of some of our recent graduates include:
- Clinical research scientist (NHS)
- Senior clinical scientist (GlaxoSmithKline)
- Laboratory scientist (BluTest Laboratories)
- Assistant professor (Khyber Medical University)
- Associate professor (University Sains Malaysia)
- Postdoctoral research fellows (University of Glasgow)
- Scientist (Scottish Environmental Protection Agency)
University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is one of the UK’s most prestigious seats of learning, and the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world. Established in 1451 and recognised for its world-changing research and teaching, the University has inspired thinkers from eminent scientist Lord Kelvin and the father of economics Adam Smith, to Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- is ranked 67th in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2020
- is in the top 100 in the world: Times Higher World University Rankings 2020
- 95.9% of students in employment or further study 6 …
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here