find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: Health-Professions Education / Health-Professions Education (with Research)
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Medicine, Dentistry & Nursing|
Today's health professionals must keep up-to-date with technology, personalised care and ever-shifting policies and budgets. If you're keen to deliver ongoing training and development for your colleagues, our health professions education programme will help you advance your career.
- Our online health professions education programme is designed for professionals working in clinical roles who are looking for a teaching, management or research-based career in health education.
- Run by the School of Medicine, Dentistry & Nursing, one of the largest, most prestigious medical schools in Europe, you would be studying at the heart of a unique network for contemporary medical thinking.
- The models of teaching and assessment on this programme are taught by our world-class faculty who follow standards set by the General Medical Council.
- Academic research informs the strategies of NHS Education Scotland and other regulatory bodies.
- This Health-Professions Education distance learning programme is especially designed for working professionals wishing to develop specialist skills and apply beneficial clinical practices in practice.
- Our online Health Professions Education programme offers you the flexibility to take one of two research routes from the second year.
- Using practical, collaborative peer exercises, we will help you to develop the necessary confidence and specialist skills.
Year 1 (PgCert)
- 3 x 20 credit core courses
Year 2 (PgDip)
- 3 x 20 credit compulsory courses in year 1, 6 x 10 credit compulsory courses in year 2
Year 3 (MSc / MSc (with Research))
- 3 x 20 credit compulsory courses in year 1, 6 x 10 credit compulsory courses in year 2, 1 x 60 credit dissertation in year 3
During the first year, there are three compulsory courses, worth 60 credits in total. Then, in the second year, students will choose two courses from each of the three blocks. These courses are 10 credits each, so overall worth 60 credits.
In the third year, students will undertake a dissertation, worth 60 credits. There are two different options for this:
- On the MSc HPE programme, the dissertation will require a systematic review, synthesis and critique of the literature, to produce a policy document, a set of practitioner guidelines, or a new theoretical model
- On the MSc HPE (with Research), the dissertation will be a standard report of empirical research, incorporating a critical literature review, methodology, analysis and interpretation of findings, and conclusions drawn
Throughout each course you will be assessed in a variety of ways which could include essays, discussions, blogs, online presentations, interactive quizzes, assignments or group work. Details of these assignments are found in your induction.
The duration of this programme is 2.5 years - 6 years taken on a part-time basis. For details on full-time options request more information to speak to an admissions representative.
Core and optional courses
Year 1: PgCert, PgDip and MSc
- LEARNING IN HEALTH PROFESSIONS
- ASSESSMENT IN HEALTH PROFESSIONS
- TEACHING IN HEALTH PROFESSIONS
Year 2: PgDip and MSc
Block 1 (select two):
- CURRICULUM APPROACHES AND DESIGN
- TEACHING AND ASSESSMENT OF CLINICAL SKILLS
- EVIDENCE IN EDUCATION RESEARCH*
Block 2 (select two):
- SIMULATION IN HEALTH PROFESSIONS EDUCATION
- EVALUATION OF COURSES AND CURRICULA
- DESIGNING EDUCATION RESEARCH*
Block 3 (select two):
- MANAGING THE HEALTH PROFESSIONS CURRICULUM
- LEADERSHIP IN HEALTH PROFESSIONS EDUCATION
- GOVERNANCE AND ETHICS IN EDUCATION RESEARCH*
Year 3: MSc
- DISSERTATION IN HEALTH PROFESSIONS EDUCATION
- RESEARCH DISSERTATION IN HEALTH PROFESSIONS EDUCATION*
If you opt for the research dissertation, you must choose the courses marked with an asterisk (*).
- Engage in critical debate on the principles, philosophy and evidence-base for various approaches to learning and teaching.
- Apply core principles and current theories of learning and teaching to the design of a range of learning opportunities/teaching activities.
- Select appropriate assessment strategies and tools to assess the knowledge, skills and attitudes required of health professionals.
- Evaluate approaches and models for developing a curriculum, including their relevance to a health professions context.
- Appraise the impact of technology-enhanced learning & teaching (TELT) on educational.
- Evaluate the impact of educational and institutional policies on design and delivery of health professions education.
This programme is ideal if you're an ambitious health professional seeking an influential role in the management and delivery of education. Through leading research, world-class faculty and practical, collaborative peer exercises, we will help you to develop the confidence and specialist skills you need to further your career in this field.
It will also provide an ideal grounding for those who decide to pursue doctoral research in health professions education.
Recent graduates have furthered their careers as:
- Doctors (mainly clinical)
- Occupational therapists
- General practitioners (GPs)
- Family medicine practitioners
"It has really helped me develop and change my teaching skills positively. I definitely noticed greater confidence in my teaching ability. Without doubt, this is thanks to the Health Professions Education programme."Radiologist and graduate of the Health Professions Education programme
MSc (with Research)
University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is one of the UK’s most prestigious seats of learning, and the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world. Established in 1451 and recognised for its world-changing research and teaching, the University has inspired thinkers from eminent scientist Lord Kelvin and the father of economics Adam Smith, to Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- is ranked 67th in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2020
- is in the top 100 in the world: Times Higher World University Rankings 2020
- 95.9% of students in employment or further study 6 …
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here