find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: History
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Humanities|
This Masters offers courses across all periods from medieval to late modern, focusing on Scotland, Britain, Europe and America with increasing global perspective. You’ll study historical skills and methods and produce a research dissertation based on primary sources. History at Glasgow rates joint 4th in the UK for research excellence and impact. Our research directs our postgraduate teaching so that you'll explore cutting-edge topics.
Glasgow is an outstanding resource hub for the study of History. On campus, the University Library holds superb printed and manuscript collections from the medieval to the present. You can also use the Baillie Collection of printed medieval and modern sources in Scottish, Irish and English history.
The University’s Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery provides access to primary source materials in fields such as fine art, numismatics and ethnography.
Glasgow is an outstanding resource hub for the study of History. On campus, the University Library holds superb printed and manuscript collections from the medieval to the present. You can also use the Baillie Collection of printed medieval and modern sources in Scottish, Irish and English history. The University’s Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery provides access to primary source materials in fields such as fine art, numismatics and ethnography.
- One core course
- Five optional courses
You’ll also produce a dissertation.
- DOING HISTORY: SOURCES AND SKILLS FOR HISTORIANS
You can choose courses from within History to suit your own interests, including (session 2022-2023):
- ISSUES, IDEOLOGIES AND INSTITUTIONS OF MODERN SCOTLAND
- THE GLOBAL HISTORY OF INEQUALITIES
- AMERICA'S TWO QUAGMIRES: VIETNAM AND IRAQ
- COMMODITY HISTORIES IN THE GLOBAL SOUTH, 1500-2000
- SEEKING REFUGE FROM SLAVERY: ENSLAVED RESISTANCE FROM AFRICA TO THE AMERICAS
- CRUSADING WARFARE IN THE EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN, 1096-1291
- THE LIFE AND AFTERLIFE OF MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS
- A 'NEW FORM OF SLAVERY'?: INDENTURED LABOUR IN POST-SLAVERY CARIBBEAN SOCIETIES, C. 1836-1917
- SCOTTISH RADICALISM 1848-1950
- MEDIEVAL PALAEOGRAPHY: AN INTRODUCTION TO READING MEDIEVAL DOCUMENTS
- MILITARY SCOTLAND IN THE AGE OF PROTO-GLOBALIZATION, C.1600-C.1800
- HERETICS AND INQUISITORS IN EUROPE,800-1600
- THE AMERICAN WAY OF WAR
- VIOLENCE AND THE COLONIAL ENCOUNTER
- THE GLOBAL COLD WAR, 1947-2008
- THE UNITED STATES SINCE 1945
- GAMES AND GAMING HISTORY
- QUALITATIVE APPROACHES TO THE STUDY OF POLITICAL VIOLENCE
With permission, you can also take courses from other subjects in the College of Arts and beyond.
Please note the availability of a particular course depends on student numbers and patterns of staff leave. Not all courses will be available every year.
Summer: April to September
- DISSERTATION (MSC HISTORY)
Teaching and assessment
Teaching is mainly seminar and discussion-based, in small classes.Technical skills are taught through lectures and workshops associated with the core course, while the conceptual foundations for gender history are taught through the weekly seminars. Independent and self-reflective critical work is fostered through written assignments and seminar presentations, culminating in the dissertation.
The research skills and methods you’ll gain on this programme give you the transferable skills for positions in the public and private sectors, including heritage policy and projects, media and teaching. The programme is also a good foundation for a PhD.
University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is one of the UK’s most prestigious seats of learning, and the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world. Established in 1451 and recognised for its world-changing research and teaching, the University has inspired thinkers from eminent scientist Lord Kelvin and the father of economics Adam Smith, to Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- is ranked 73rd in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2022
- is in the top 100 in the world: Times Higher World University Rankings 2022
- 95.9% of students in employment or further study 6 …
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here