University of Glasgow: Structural Engineering
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Engineering|
Structural engineers ensure that buildings and infrastructure are safe to use and can resist natural and human made disasters. This MSc in Structural Engineering is ideal for those who have an engineering undergraduate degree and would like to specialise at Masters Level, providing you with a range of methods that will help you to analyse and design structures so that they are safe and durable. Skills acquired within this programme are desirable for a range of industries such civil, automotive, nuclear and aeronautical.
The University of Glasgow has a long history of research in Civil Engineering. The UK's first Chair of Civil Engineering was established at the University in 1840 and early occupants such as William J. M. Rankine set a research ethos that has endured.
Structural Engineering is one of the core strengths of civil engineering. Civil Engineering at Glasgow is ranked 2nd in the UK and 1st in Scotland (Complete University Guide 2020).
- The MSc programme in Structural Engineering is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE) and Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT) as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired a partial CEng accredited first degree. Documentation and guidelines used by the JBM in the accreditation process can be found at: http://www.jbm.org.uk
- You will be taught by staff who are leading researchers in their fields. They will train you in the use of state of the art computational software (e.g. ABAQUS, ATENA, LS-DYNA) and design methods, which will be relevant to meet future challenges for the Structural Engineering industry and profession.
- This structural engineering programme will provide you with training to ensure that buildings and infrastructure are designed so that they are safe to use and can resist natural and human made disasters.
- You will undertake a significant Structural Design project working successfully in groups, which is a highly desirable skill within civil engineering industries.
- If you intend to pursue a career in this specialist area of civil and structural engineering, in design consultancies and elsewhere, or if you want to transfer from other engineering disciplines, this programme is designed for you. It provides the advanced education required for the structural engineers of tomorrow.
- The School of Engineering has an Athena Swan Bronze Award, demonstrating the school’s commitment to supporting women in scientific studies and careers, and to improving the working environment for all.
Modes of delivery of the MSc in Structural Engineering include lectures, seminars, tutorials, a group design project and individual projects.
- CIVIL ENGINEERING SKILLS M
- ADVANCED SOIL MECHANICS 5
- ADV. STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS & EARTHQUAKE ENGINEERING 5
- STRUCTURES UNDER EXTREME LOADS M
- FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS M
- ADVANCED CONCRETE PERFORMANCE M
- ADVANCED STEEL AND CONCRETE DESIGN 4
- STRUCTURES IN ACTION M
- CONCEPTUAL DESIGN PROJECT M
MSc students undertake an additional individual project.
Graduates of this programme have gone to work for companies such as positions as Mott Macdonald, Technip, Halliburton, Design Id, Wood Group, and P2ML. Positions include Structural Engineer, Project Engineer and Research Fellow.
University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is one of the UK’s most prestigious seats of learning, and the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world. Established in 1451 and recognised for its world-changing research and teaching, the University has inspired thinkers from eminent scientist Lord Kelvin and the father of economics Adam Smith, to Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- is ranked 67th in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2020
- is in the top 100 in the world: Times Higher World University Rankings 2020
- 95.9% of students in employment or further study 6 …
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here