find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: Cardiovascular Sciences
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Cardiovascular & Metabolic Health|
Cardiovascular disease is projected to remain the single leading cause of death over the next two decades, accountable for considerable disability and reduction in quality of life. The aim of this programme is to deliver teaching related to cardiovascular science and biology with an emphasis on the epidemiology, genetics, pathological and molecular mechanisms underlying cardiovascular diseases and their pharmacological management.
- Accredited by the Royal Society of Biology for the purpose of meeting, in part, the academic and experience requirement for the Membership and Chartered Biologist (CBiol).
- Develop an understanding of the cardiovascular system and the epidemiology of CV diseases, as well as the molecular and cellular pathways involved in the development of cardiovascular disease.
- Acquire and integrate a knowledge base in many new techniques for research in clinical cardiovascular medicine, including:
- Risk factor measurements
- Novel imaging techniques
- Gene therapy
- Genomic, genetic and proteomic studies
- Undertake a research project with an established cardiovascular researcher. These are tailored to suit students' expertise and interests.
- The Cardiovascular Science degree has a modular based course containing taught elements, tutorial sessions, critical review sessions and practical sessions.
- Cardiovascular science is a priority area for research funding, in recognition of the fact that new, improved treatments are required and that these can only arise through better understanding of its development.
- The University of Glasgow has a world-renowned reputation for expertise in cardiovascular research and education.
- Opportunities exist at Glasgow University to continue to PhD studies.
- This course is provided by world leading experts in the British Heart Foundation (BHF) Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre.
- Research for the MSc in Cardiovascular Sciences is supported by the BHF, MRC, Wellcome Trust, CSO, BBSRC and the European Commission.
Main Campus Location
Mainly undertaken at the BHF building on the Gilmorehill Campus in the West End of Glasgow. Easy to get to by bus, train, subway and car.
- TOPICS IN THERAPEUTICS - GENERAL TOPICS, CARDIOVASCULAR AND DIABETES DRUGS
- CLINICAL ASPECTS OF CVD: PATIENTS AND POPULATIONS
- CLINICAL AND RESEARCH LABORATORY SKILLS
- EVIDENCE-BASED BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH METHODS AND STATISTICS
- BASIC SCIENCE OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE: TISSUE CELLS AND SIGNALLING
- EPIDEMIOLOGY, OUTCOMES AND THERAPY OF HEART FAILURE
- IMAGING IN CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES: TECHNIQUES AND APPLICATIONS
- CV SCIENCES DISSERTATION
- APPLIED STATISTICS FOR CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL RESEARCH
- LIFESTYLE INTERVENTION IN CARDIOMETABOLIC DISEASE
- ASSESSMENT OF VASCULAR FUNCTION
In addition you will undertake a dissertation/project supervised by an established cardiovascular researcher.
Successful graduates will emerge equipped with the skills necessary for a career in biomedical/cardiovascular research.
Further career opportunities include:
- PhD training programmes
- Publishing companies
- Commercial industrial research
- trainee clinical scientist (NHS)
- clinical skills technician (NHS)
- imaging support specialist
- research technician
University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is one of the UK’s most prestigious seats of learning, and the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world. Established in 1451 and recognised for its world-changing research and teaching, the University has inspired thinkers from eminent scientist Lord Kelvin and the father of economics Adam Smith, to Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- is ranked 73rd in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2022
- is in the top 100 in the world: Times Higher World University Rankings 2022
- 95.9% of students in employment or further study 6 …
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here