University of Cumbria: Secondary Education with QTS: Geography
|Institution||University of Cumbria View institution profile|
|Department||Institute of Education|
Inspire the next generation to appreciate the awe and wonder of our planet and to solve the global challenges of the 21st century by sharing your passion for Geography.
We’ve designed our highly-rated PGCE Secondary Geography with QTS so that you will graduate knowing how to confidently devise and deliver interesting lessons to engage young minds about our planet’s people, places, landscapes, processes and connections.
You will be supported by our expert tutors to plan, resource and deliver lessons to pupils of all secondary ages and abilities. This means that you will leave the course knowing how to teach effectively while also maintaining the interest and enthusiasm of your pupils.
Our PGCE course includes QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and we will also help you apply for a position as a secondary school teacher during the course.
**Why Choose University of Cumbria**
Our PGCE Secondary Geography with QTS is fully compliant with Department for Education (DfE) requirements, meaning that you will do placements for a minimum of 120 days in two contrasting schools, giving you the essential experiences you need to pass the course and to prepare you for future employment as a teacher.
We also ensure that our course gives you plenty of practical experience – whether delivering lessons, using technology in the classroom (ICT) or assessing work - to prepare you to confidently step into and lead a classroom.
You won’t be dropped in the deep end. You will start by working with individual groups of pupils in school and gradually build up to the teaching of whole classes so you can develop the appropriate levels of learning in pupils required of you in the QTS Teachers' Standards.
- Take advantage of the PGCE scholarship and the Geography bursary
- Our excellent partnerships with schools in Lancashire, Cumbria and further afield enhance your placement and job prospects
- Many of our students are offered jobs from their teaching placement schools
- Experience two contrasting school placements where you can put the theory you learn in lectures and seminars into practice, giving you valuable work experience
- Our academic tutors have backgrounds as highly-experienced secondary teachers or within the education sector and so their first-hand experience will support your learning
- Our tutors are active researchers in education, so your learning will be up-to-date and fresh with the latest thinking, technologies and practices
- A personal tutor will guide you throughout your studies and your subject mentor will support your professional development in your placement school
- Easy access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment provides easy online access to course material, as well as our library, well stocked with education books and journals you need for research
- Study at our friendly and vibrant campus in Lancaster
- Access to new and modern social and study spaces, technology and facilities on campus
Our Lancaster campus is also home to our The Learning, Education and Development (LED) research centre, where our tutors are involved in leading and publishing high-quality educational research to inform educational practice and policy.
During the past 100 years, with our founding institutions, St Martin’s College in Lancaster and Charlotte Mason College in Ambleside, we have gained a great track record for inspiring teachers and helping them step into employment.
So, if you would like to inspire young people to share your love for Geography, our course is the perfect stepping stone on your journey to becoming an enthusiastic and reflective qualified teacher.
Our former students have rewarding careers in the UK and around the globe. This course will enable you to apply for a position as a secondary school geography teacher as soon as you qualify.
Postgraduate Certificate in Education - PGCE
|Level||RQF Level 7|
A minimum UK 2:2 honours degree or recognised equivalent qualification in geography or a related discipline is required. Your degree must contain evidence of a substantial and appropriate level of subject knowledge. All successful applicants must have met this requirement by 31 July 2019.
If you don't have an undergraduate degree but do have a Masters or other higher qualification, your application will be considered by our academic tutors on a one-to-one basis.
English and Mathematics at GCSE level at Grade C/4 or above, or equivalent.
Successful completion of the Professional Skills Tests in literacy and numeracy prior to starting your course.
A satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) background clearance check prior to starting the course.
Satisfactory Occupational Health medical check prior to starting the course
Evidence of a satisfactory level of literacy on the application form and a satisfactory personal statement.
Evidence of motivation and appropriate professional values. A strong personal statement conveying an enthusiasm for the subject, for working with young people and for teaching and learning.
A satisfactory academic (University) or a satisfactory professional reference if it is more than 5 years since academic work.
Evidence of the potential to work at Masters level.
At interview, all candidates undertake a range of tasks including a micro-teaching task; group discussions; individual interview; subject knowledge tests; and other written tasks as appropriate, including testing of literacy levels and the ability to think and write at Masters level.
There are currently no AP(E)L opportunities for entry to this Programme
University of Cumbria
The Postgraduate Experience
Based in some of the North West’s most beautiful and historic locations, The University of Cumbria is a vibrant and inspiring place. Combining experience, quality-teaching and dedicated student support, we’ve helped over 45,000 students to make their impact on the world.
Courses and Qualifications
The University is made up of five academic institutes:
- Business, Industry and Leadership
- Science, Natural Resources and Outdoor Studies
Within each department, there are four different varieties of postgraduate degrees available:
- Masters (MA, MSc or MBA)
- Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip)
- Postgraduate Certificate (PgC)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education …
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Geography (secondary teaching), or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here