University of Cumbria: Secondary Education with QTS: Art and Design
|Institution||University of Cumbria View institution profile|
|Department||Institute of Education|
Bring your passion for Art & Design to the classroom and inspire the next generation. Art and Design remains an essential entitlement for every pupil and a vital way of fostering their visual, intellectual and social awareness and their observational, imaginative and creative making skills.
You will be supported by our committed, experienced and supportive tutors to plan, resource and deliver exciting and innovative lessons to pupils of all secondary ages and abilities. The course offers clear opportunities to develop your subject knowledge and learn from other students from a variety of art and design backgrounds. It includes extensive training in schools, so you are really well prepared for a career in art and design teaching.
You will learn how to teach your subject effectively, enthusiastically and successfully - from the basics of structuring and planning lessons through to developing pupils’ personal skills and confidence.
**Why Choose University of Cumbria**
One of our main course strengths is our continued support and the fact that we believe in you.
We ensure that our course gives you plenty of hands-on experience – whether delivering lessons, using technology in the classroom (ICT), - preparing you to confidently step into and lead a classroom.
You won’t be dropped in at the deep end. You will start by observing and team teaching, leading onto working with small groups of pupils, gradually building up to the teaching of whole classes to reach the required standard of professional practice.
- PGCE Scholarship loyalty bursary
- Accredited by the Department for Education (DfE) and the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (Ofsted)
- Our excellent partnerships with schools in and beyond Lancashire and Cumbria enhance your placement and job prospects
- A high number of our students get offered jobs from teaching placements
- Experience two contrasting school placements where you can put the theory you learn in lectures and seminars into real-world practice, giving you the essential hands-on experience you need for future employment.
- Our academic tutors have backgrounds as highly experienced secondary teachers and know what it is like to be a professional teacher. Their first-hand experience will support your learning
- Tutors are active researchers in education, so your learning will be up-to-date and fresh with the latest thinking, technologies and practices
- A personal tutor will support you throughout your studies and your subject mentor will support your professional development at your placement
- Easy access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment providing easy online access to course material, as well as our library, well stocked with education books and journals you need for research
- Access to free practical workshops to refine and develop your own art and design skills with our experienced and supportive staff. These will include expressive drawing, printmaking, 3D work, ceramics, textiles, bookmaking, animation and filmmaking –to enhance your classroom competencies even further.
- Access to new and modern social and study spaces, technology and facilities on campus
Our Lancaster campus is also home to our The Learning, Education and Development (LED) research centre, where our tutors are involved in leading and publishing high-quality educational research to inform educational practice and policy.
During the past 100 years, with our founding institutions St Martin’s College in Lancaster and Charlotte Mason College in Ambleside, we’ve gained a great track record for inspiring and training.
Our course will give you the right start to your future as a successful art & design teacher and a valuable contributor to any art & design department.
Postgraduate Certificate in Education - PGCE
|Level||RQF Level 7|
You are welcome to apply if you have a degree in any Art and Design related subject, for example fine art, graphic design, fashion and textiles, product design, 3D design, new media, ceramics, or history of art (with 50% practical content).
A minimum UK 2:2 honours degree or recognised equivalent qualification is required, however strong preference will be given to applicants with 2:1 honours degrees. Your degree must contain evidence of a substantial and appropriate level of subject knowledge. All successful applicants must have met this requirement by 31 July 2019.
If you don't have an undergraduate degree but do have a Masters or other higher qualification, your application will be considered by our academic tutors on a one-to-one basis.
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English Language and Mathematics or equivalent qualifications. All successful applicants must have met this requirement by 31 July 2019.
Successful completion of the professional skills test in literacy and numeracy before the start of the course.
A satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) background clearance check prior to starting the course.
Satisfactory Occupational Health medical check prior to starting the course
Evidence of a satisfactory level of literacy on the application form and a satisfactory personal statement.
Evidence of motivation and appropriate professional values. A strong personal statement conveying an enthusiasm for the subject, for working with young people and for teaching and learning.
A satisfactory academic (University) or a satisfactory professional reference if it is more than 5 years since academic work.
Evidence of the potential to work at Masters level.
At interview, all candidates undertake a range of tasks including a micro-teaching task; group discussions; individual interview; subject knowledge tests; and other written tasks as appropriate, including testing of literacy levels and the ability to think and write at Masters level.
There are currently no AP(E)L opportunities for entry to this programme.
University of Cumbria
The Postgraduate Experience
Based in some of the North West’s most beautiful and historic locations, The University of Cumbria is a vibrant and inspiring place. Combining experience, quality-teaching and dedicated student support, we’ve helped over 45,000 students to make their impact on the world.
Courses and Qualifications
The University is made up of five academic institutes:
- Business, Industry and Leadership
- Science, Natural Resources and Outdoor Studies
Within each department, there are four different varieties of postgraduate degrees available:
- Masters (MA, MSc or MBA)
- Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip)
- Postgraduate Certificate (PgC)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education …
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Art (secondary teaching) or Design (secondary teaching), or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here