University of Cumbria: General Primary (5-11yrs) Physical Education with QTS
|Institution||University of Cumbria View institution profile|
|Department||Institute of Education|
Imagine helping children to be the very best they can be from the very start of their school life – both academically and physically – you can as a primary school teacher with a specialism in physical education.
We’ve designed our highly-rated PGCE General Primary with QTS (5-11): Physical Education to support your journey all the way from student through to achieving status as a newly-qualified teacher.
Learn all the knowledge of PGCE General Primary but with a pathway in PE, so that you can hone your pedagogy in this area to lead and manage PE in your primary school, so that children don’t just get the best out of their learning, but help them to get fit and active too.
You’ll learn through theory and plenty of first-hand experience how to work within the National Curriculum framework, the concepts and inhibitions of PE, and confidently devise and deliver interesting lessons to engage young minds across a broad spectrum of subjects in primary school.
And, because our course has QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) built in, you can apply for a position as a primary school teacher the minute you graduate.
**Why Choose University of Cumbria**
You will work within schools and with pupils continually throughout your studies – on school-embedded learning and placements, not just on block releases.
We do this so that you can immediately put the theory you learn in lectures and seminars into practice, graduating ready to step into a classroom to teach and inspire.
If you want a full university experience, you can choose to study for your PGCE at one of our campuses – Lancaster, Carlisle or London. But, if you’d rather complete your studies closer to home, you can opt for School Direct.
Whichever you choose, you will get more than 50% of your teacher training in a school and experience at least two contrasting school placements, so that you not only get essential experience but can try a particular type of educational setting before committing yourself long-term.
You could even start teaching by week three of the course.
Although, you won’t be dropped in at the deep end. You will start by working with individual groups of pupils in school and gradually build up to the teaching of whole classes to reach the required standard of professional practice.
- £1000 cash payment and other benefits for September 2019 enrolments. Read more
- We are one of the largest providers of teacher training in the UK
- Our excellent partnerships with more than 2,000 schools in Lancashire, Cumbria London, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man enhance your placement and job prospects
- A high number of our students get offered jobs from teaching placements
- Our course falls in line with the Department for Education (DfE) guidelines, so you can expect to do a minimum of 120 days in schools required for QTS status
- Academic tutors have worked as teachers and within education and know what it is like to be a professional teacher, so their first-hand experience will support your learning
- Highly-rated by OFSTED as a provider of successful teachers
- Tutors are active researchers in education, so your learning will be up-to-date and fresh with the latest thinking, technologies and practices
- A personal tutor will support you closely throughout your studies and a mentor will guide you during your professional placement
- Easy access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment providing easy online access to course material, as well as our library, well stocked with education books, journals and materials you need for research
- Free use of teaching resources for use on placements to enhance the lessons you teach
So, if you are passionate about education for all children, no matter what difficulties they face, and want to see children learn and grow to reach their potential, our course is the stepping stone to becoming a qualified teacher.
Postgraduate Certificate in Education - PGCE
|Level||RQF Level 7|
Normally a first degree, or its equivalent with a minimum of 2:2 honours.
Successful completion of the professional skills test in literacy and numeracy before the start of the course.
A satisfactory academic (university) reference AND a satisfactory professional reference if more than three years since academic study.
The ability to discriminate key ideas and express arguments.
All candidates must demonstrate professional suitability through interview and must obtain medical and enhanced DBS clearance according to established university procedures.
University of Cumbria
The Postgraduate Experience
Based in some of the North West’s most beautiful and historic locations, The University of Cumbria is a vibrant and inspiring place. Combining experience, quality-teaching and dedicated student support, we’ve helped over 45,000 students to make their impact on the world.
Courses and Qualifications
The University is made up of five academic institutes:
- Business, Industry and Leadership
- Science, Natural Resources and Outdoor Studies
Within each department, there are four different varieties of postgraduate degrees available:
- Masters (MA, MSc or MBA)
- Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip)
- Postgraduate Certificate (PgC)
- Postgraduate Certificate ...
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in General primary (primary teaching), or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here