University of Cumbria: Psychology: Legal and Criminological
|Institution||University of Cumbria View institution profile|
|Department||Health, Psychology and Social Studies|
If you want a career in the criminal justice system, then our course gives you the academic criminological and psychological knowledge you need to pursue a career in this exciting field.
We also give you a good grounding for your future through career-enhancing voluntary work and real-world experience, with opportunities to gain work experience in a prison.
**Why Choose Cumbria University**
We will ensure you have the relevant academic and practical knowledge and awareness of the issues at the forefront of legal and criminological psychology to help you start working towards your career in the criminal justice system or or working with young offenders.
And, thanks to the great links with have with regional and national organisations, charities, not-for-profit and penal institutions - you’ll have plenty of opportunity to boost your CV too.
- Practical elements to your study through research, case studies and data collection
- Opportunities to gain additional professional development and accredited qualifications alongside your course, in areas such as psychometrics
- Taught by academic tutors with forensics, counselling and clinical backgrounds
- Tutors carry-out pioneering research, which enhances your learning. Plus, it gives you the chance to take part in current research
- Our excellent links with organisations working alongside the criminal justice system offers you great work experience and job prospects
- We have a great reputation nationally for research methodology
- Opportunity for work experience in prisons, studying alongside prisoners for real-life learning
- Encouraged to publish your work in our in-house journal
- Opportunity to learn and mix with students from psychology and social science courses
- From your base in Carlisle, you’ll be within 30 minutes of Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other, so you’ll never be stuck for something to do
To enhance your studies further, we have a full range of extra-curricular activities for you to take part in, including our psychology film club, enrichment evening and daytime seminars led by local and national experts, research participation and our staff-student conference.
The first-class academic and real-world experience you will gain from workplace opportunities on this course will be highly-desirable to future employers.
There are a wide range of careers this degree will be useful for. You could work with the National Crime Agency, prison drug services, the probation service and offender management. Your degree will be well suited for working with victims of domestic violence, as a mentor for young people coming out of prison, and youth offending organisations.
You may also wish to continue your academic career by undertaking a PhD in either criminology or psychology.
|Level||RQF Level 7|
1st or 2nd class honours degree.
Students with other qualifications may be admitted to the course.
|Location||Carlisle - Fusehill Street|
University of Cumbria
The Postgraduate Experience
Based in some of the North West’s most beautiful and historic locations, The University of Cumbria is a vibrant and inspiring place. Combining experience, quality-teaching and dedicated student support, we’ve helped over 45,000 students to make their impact on the world.
Courses and Qualifications
The University is made up of five academic institutes:
- Business, Industry and Leadership
- Science, Natural Resources and Outdoor Studies
Within each department, there are four different varieties of postgraduate degrees available:
- Masters (MA, MSc or MBA)
- Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip)
- Postgraduate Certificate (PgC)
- Postgraduate Certificate ...
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Psychology, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here