University of Bath: Public Policy
|Institution||University of Bath View institution profile|
|Department||Social and Policy Sciences View department profile|
|Telephone||+44 1225 38 5115|
**Rethink public policy from the ground up in this distance learning course. Explore creative approaches for shaping public policy strategy, design and delivery.**
This specialist MSc in Public Policy offers you the opportunity to delve into how public policy is made, what shapes it, and how public policy professionals can make a difference.
On the course, you will:
- investigate the political, economic and social dynamics that affect contemporary public policy
- examine how data and evidence in the digital environment are re-shaping how public policy is analysed, made and practised
- learn how to combine theory and practice to advance creative approaches for policy design and delivery
- develop your own policy specialism with the option to undertake work-related projects as part of your studies
Highly applied in nature, the course draws on diverse cases from policymaking globally, as well as from Europe and the UK. You will work with academics from the Institute for Policy Research, Department of Social & Policy Sciences, Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies and Department of Economics with international expertise in this area and links to senior public policy makers and experienced policy analysts.
You will leave the course with:
- advanced understanding of the concepts and tools used in public policymaking today, their application and limitations
- deeper knowledge of the contexts and constraints within which public policy is made
- confidence to apply creatively different policymaking tools, identifying new ways to achieve public policy goals
**Learning and teaching**
The course is delivered in an inspiring format:
- highly structured content, fortnightly online discussions and regular interactive webinars with academic staff
- face-to-face learning and networking opportunities at short residentials
- state-of-the-art course material designed and taught by expert academic staff, teaching on their research specialisms
- practical applications that can draw on examples from your own professional experience
- intensive support from expert Bath academics throughout
The specialist teaching you will receive and advanced skills you will acquire could put you in a strong position for moving forward in any policy-facing or policy-shaping role, whether in analysis, strategy or delivery.
You will be equipped to pursue or advance your career as (indicatively):
- a national civil servant in a policy role
- government affairs official
- think tank researcher
- parliamentary advisor
- policy advisor
- policy advocate in a large INGO or advocacy organisation
- regional or local government strategy
- public service policy or strategy
- private sector providing contracted public sector services
Academically, the successful completion of the course will prepare you with skills to further your academic studies to doctoral level, in pursuit of a career in academia or advanced policy research.
|Level||RQF Level 7|
You should have a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above.
To apply for this course you should have an undergraduate degree in an appropriate subject such as politics, political economy, human or political geography, sociology, economics, international relations, security or area studies.
We will also consider graduates with an undergraduate degree in other subjects where you have relevant professional experience in any area of public policy.
We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
If your first language is not English but within the last 2 years you completed your degree in the UK you may be exempt from our English Language requirements.
|Location||University of Bath|
The University of Bath
Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences
The Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences at the University of Bath conducts high quality research focussed on solving the world’s biggest problems and improving the societies we live in. Teachers and lecturers working within the faculty are active researchers and apply their findings to the content taught on our programmes.
The Faculty includes six departments:
- Politics, Languages & International Studies
- Social & Policy Sciences
By studying and researching with us you’ll be welcomed into a multidisciplinary, diverse academic community and a strong environment ...View Profile
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Politics, Policy studies, Public policy or Social studies, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here