University of Bath: English as a Medium of Instruction
|Institution||University of Bath View institution profile|
|Department||Education View department profile|
|Telephone||+44 1225 38 5115|
Gain specialist knowledge and practical skills for the teaching of academic subjects in English.
All over the world, educational institutions at primary, secondary and tertiary levels are increasingly using English to teach academic subjects to students whose first language is not English. These subjects include business, engineering, science, biology, chemistry, physics, agriculture and medicine.
English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI), also sometimes referred to as English-medium teaching or bilingual education, is seen as a crucial aspect of helping institutions internationalise their offer and prepare their students for a globalised job market.
If you work as an educator in this field already, or aspire to do so, this master’s course offers you a unique opportunity to acquire specialised knowledge, skills and expertise in this rapidly-expanding area.
This course covers everything from EMI policy design to classroom pedagogy and strategies for intercultural communication with diverse student groups.
You will learn how to develop effective EMI courses and teaching materials to suit your students’ learning needs, and how to draw on research to inform your daily practice and decision making.
We place particular emphasis on helping you apply the latest thinking about EMI teaching to your own country and context. All the assignments are closely linked to real world activities that you will need to perform as an EMI educator.
Bath is highly regarded in the field of English language education. Working with our researchers, you will develop knowledge and skills from a range of academic fields, equipping you for employment in diverse EMI-related fields.
**By the end of the course, you will be able to**:
- teach your subject matter in a ‘language conscious’ way, drawing on effective strategies and ideas
- develop effective techniques for communicating the content of your courses
- teach culturally diverse groups of students through the medium of English
- develop an appropriate language policy for your institution
- design an appropriate curriculum, syllabus or set of teaching materials for use in your context
- assess and evaluate an English medium programme of study
- train other educators to teach their subject matter effectively through English
- If you are interested in teaching English as a subject to non-English speakers, explore our MA TESOL course instead.
When you graduate from this course, you will be well qualified to work in a broad variety of EMI-related roles.
You could work in international primary and secondary education, an international school, migrant education or educational policy development.
**Your skills would also lend themselves towards working in:**
- English as an additional language (EAL) in primary and secondary education
- bilingual and multilingual education
- intercultural communication training
- business communication
- working with an educational NGO, UN organisation or other internationally-oriented educational organisation
|Level||RQF Level 7|
You should have a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically 2:1 or above.
To apply for this course you may have an undergraduate degree in any subject.
We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
If your language is not English but within the last 2 years, you completed your degree in the UK, you may be exempt from our English language requirements.
|Location||University of Bath|
The University of Bath
Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences
In the Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences at the University of Bath we understand the importance of social sciences. Social scientists are involved in solving the world’s biggest problems and can improve the societies we live in.
Our Faculty includes six departments:
- Politics, Languages & International Studies
- Social & Policy Sciences
By studying and researching with us you’ll be welcomed into a multidisciplinary, diverse academic community and a strong environment to pursue your masters or research degree.
You'll benefit from spending time ...View Profile
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Educational studies, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here