STEM Scholarships & Bursaries
In the UK, there are lots of scholarships and bursaries available for STEM postgraduate student who are
already resident in the UK, as well as a good selection of STEM scholarships and bursaries for international students wishing to study in the UK.
Let’s take a look at the STEM scholarships and bursaries that are currently available in the United Kingdom.
UK Government Scholarships & Bursaries
The UK Government doesn't offer any STEM-specific scholarships and bursaries directly to postgraduate students in the United Kingdom. Those students undertaking research or a PhD will find that any funding from the UK Government is offered through the Engineering and Physical Science Research Council or another one of the UK's Research Councils who give out grants and funds for studentships. There are other postgraduate funding options for those students undertaking a taught postgraduate course in a STEM subject, such as UK Government student loans, but scholarship and bursaries from the UK Government are all offered indirectly via different organisations, charities and universities – and details of some of these are listed below.Apply for a Postgrad Solutions Study Bursary
Institutes & Societies
For those who are undertaking a PhD or a substantial postgraduate research project, the Royal Society offers a range of grants for their studies. The Royal Academy of Engineering offers a range of scholarships and awards throughout the year as does the Royal Aeronautical Society. Many of these awards involve time with a business or company to develop management or leadership skills. All of the institutes and societies that offer scholarships and bursaries want to encourage students from under-represented backgrounds or groups to apply for their awards.
For international students wanting to study in the UK, the Chevening Scholarships fund exceptional students in a variety of subjects including STEM subjects at postgraduate level, and these are applied for through the student's local British Embassy. Each embassy decides which students they wish to fund, and these are usually awarded to students whose postgraduate courses match with the work the British Embassy is doing in the local area. A Chevening Scholarship is worth around £26,000 – and you can search for the qualifying courses here.
American students can take advantage of Marshall Scholarships which concentrate on students who show excellent leadership potential to study at the postgraduate level in the UK. Marshal Scholarship make significant awards to students undertaking postgraduate STEM courses. Marshall Scholarships cover the costs of tuition fees, books, living costs and even include spousal support.
Universities with STEM Scholarships & Bursaries
In the UK, almost all universities offer scholarships to encourage students to undertake STEM subjects at the postgraduate level. Each university and department will have lists of scholarships and bursaries available for students to apply for. Many scholarships will be available for all students and others will be far more subject or student-specific. Many scholarships are available for students who are traditionally underrepresented in postgraduate study in STEM subjects. For example, Imperial College London offers a large number of STEM scholarships, as does the University of Edinburgh.
Organisations with STEM Scholarships & Bursaries
Many businesses and companies, who have an investment interest in the next generation of postgraduate students studying STEM subjects, offer scholarships. Companies like Amazon and Sky want to encourage postgraduate students into STEM subjects often if they are studying or living in an area close to the company's research or development sites. It is worth contacting these companies directly to see what they have on offer.
Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries
We offer x15 Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries worth £500 each for postgraduate students from anywhere in the world studying any postgraduate course at any recognised university in the world. Some of these are Engineering and Computing/IT-specific, we also offer General Bursaries which STEM students are also eligible to apply for. The applications are simple to complete, and the £500 can be put directly towards the tuition fees. There is also a specific PhD bursary which is ideal for a PhD STEM student or research student.
Here are details of just a few STEM-specific scholarships and bursaries available for STEM students.
- Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 Industrial Design Studentships – one-year studentships for graduates in Engineering or Science who wish to improve their industrial design skills.
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers – offers a huge range of scholarships
- Institute of Engineering and Technology – awards and scholarships from £1,000 upwards for a range of STEM students.
- Institute of Civil Engineering QUEST – scholarships and awards of between £1000 and £2,500 for postgraduate students.
- The Aero MSc Bursary Scheme – covers tuition fees for students studying a MSc in a field of Aerospace Engineering.
- Amazon Women in Innovation Bursary – a £3,500 bursary open to female students based at a university near to an Amazon Tech Development Centre
- Sky Women in Technology – £25,000 open to female students only.
- Chevening Scholarships – £26,000 open to all exceptional international student travelling to the UK to study at postgraduate level.
- Marshall Scholarships – £23,000 open to all US students travelling to the UK for study.
- Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries – £500 for Computing, IT and Engineering postgraduate students and for all other subject areas at PG level.