find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
Plymouth Marjon University (St Mark & St John): Institute of Education
Plymouth Marjon University
Education and Teacher Training
We’re one of the longest-standing teacher training institutions in the country; with exceptional teachers graduating from Marjon since as far back as the 1840s.
If you want to train to teach in an active and vibrant environment, then Marjon is the place to be. On our PGCE courses you’ll be supported as a trainee within the University while also having a high exposure to classrooms in our huge range of partnership schools.
Students will take a gradual approach to their responsibilities while on placement as you build up your confidence and skills before taking on your first role as a Newly Qualified Teacher after your graduation.
If you join us, you will explore the kind of critical thinking that results in a reflective, flexible, caring, confident and knowledgeable approach to teaching, with outstanding results for pupils.
Graduates from the Marjon PGCE see extremely high rates of employment with fast progression to leadership roles; recent data from the Department for Education shows Marjon education graduates earn more than education graduates from any other university in the South West or Wales.
Students of PGCE courses get a very hands-on experience when it comes to learning about teaching. Theoretical knowledge is backed up by real-world experience in the classroom which helps create teachers that are dynamic, creative and innovative.
Your classroom responsibilities will increase as your confidence and expertise grows. This experience will ensure you are comfortable with your skills and confident of what you are looking for when applying for your first teaching role.
A range of different PGCE courses are available on our website.
Why this course at Marjon?
- Our trainees scored us 96% satisfaction for postgraduate teacher training, vs 81% sector average (Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey, 2016).
- Our education graduates earn more than any other education graduates in the South West and Wales (LEO data, DforE June, 2017).
- We have relationships with around 600 primary, secondary and special schools to give you a wide choice of learning experiences.
- We have been training teachers for 180 years. We understand education.
- Our expertise covers many specialisms of education including childhood development, early years, literacy and wellbeing.
- All of our lecturing staff have taught in schools and work closely with schools to support pupil outcomes and school improvement.
Join our teaching community
We have extensive links with schools and our alumni all over the country. As a student of one of our PGCE programmes, you can join our widespread education community.
“I was able to develop my confidence and ability to teach in both key stages. The support received from Marjon was extremely beneficial in developing my own philosophy of teaching and learning.”
Recent PGCE Primary graduate
“My PGCE provided me with the opportunity to gain experience in a school environment to develop knowledge and skills for the workplace. I would recommend the course and university to anyone.”
Recent PGCE with Physical Education graduate
How to Apply
Phone: 01752 636890
You can also apply through UCAS, or directly to the university.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here