The CIM is the leading international professional marketing body with some 50,000 members worldwide. First established in 1911, it has for almost a century defined the marketing standards that operate in the UK and is the global champion of best marketing practice.
The CIM exists to develop the marketing profession, maintain professional standards and improve the skills of marketing practitioners, enabling them to deliver exceptional results for their organisations. It does this by providing membership, qualifications and training to marketing professionals around the world.
With members and branches around the world, the CIM continues to raise the status of marketing onto a more professional and strategic level around the world.
To be the pre-eminent body on marketing practice, standards and associated knowledge on an international basis and for this to be acknowledged by governments, marketers, business, education and others.
The CIM (originally known as the Sales Managers Association) was first established in 1911. It was founded by 12 sales managers who shared a common goal to improve sales techniques and bring greater professionalism to their chosen careers.
With the passage of time, the CIM grew both in terms of members and the services offered. The organisation soon entered the education sector – its first examinations were held in 1928.
In 1989, the organisation was awarded the Royal Charter and henceforth became known as the Chartered Institute of Marketing. In 1998, the CIM began to award Chartered Marketer status in recognition of individual professionalism and on-going learning and development in marketing.
The CIM has international offices situated in Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong and Singapore. All are involved in helping marketers locally to develop top-class marketing skills through qualification and membership opportunities.
The CIM has a range of membership grades based on a combination of experience and qualifications – which demonstrate commitment and credibility in the profession. The benefits include:
• Credibility – the CIM is the leading international marketing organisation, which is in a good position to support members and help them get ahead.
• Knowledge – members get access to the CIM’s wide range of specialist marketing resources, keeping them in the know.
• Network – members meet other like-minded marketing professionals and share knowledge as well as ideas.
• Career – members move on in their careers, get expert advice and information and stand out from the crowd.
The CIM offers the following
qualifications and programs
• Foundation Certificate in Marketing
• Certificate in Professional Marketing
• Diploma in Professional Marketing
• Chartered Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing