The Importance of Networking During Your Postgraduate Studies

Networking has become an integral contributor to success in career and business. It is even more critical for postgraduate students who are not just building on their careers but also seeking opportunities to advance their experience and expertise. So, just how is networking important during your postgraduate studies?

Open Doors to Employment Opportunities

As a postgraduate student, everyone you meet in your lecture theatre could be the person who will help you climb a few rungs up your career ladder. However, networking should not just be limited to your fellow postgraduate students. It can involve the people you meet on vacation, at your workplace, in conferences, or in any situation that brings you in contact with other people you’ve never met.

These networks later become invaluable when you are looking for opportunities to advance your career. This is because many corporate recruitment schemes turn to such networks for employment. To put it simply, employers – especially in the private sector – are recruiting through networks and referrals. Therefore, a postgrad student who is well networked becomes highly employable after completion of their postgraduate studies.

Understanding the Demands of Your Field of Study

Apart from giving you knocking rights to the doors of prospective employers, networking during your postgraduate studies opens your eyes to the dynamics in your field. This could be in terms of the high-value competencies that you may need to sharpen in order to boost your prospects. Not to mention the fact that the interactions that you have within your networks may make you realise that you need to take your career to a different direction.

Develop Soft Skills

Networking will also give you an incentive to sharpen the soft skills that will in turn help you to connect with people easily and express yourself in ways that do not result in misunderstandings. You will have to develop soft skills such as confidence, listening, curiosity, authenticity, and humility, which will help you position yourself to be interesting to others as well as draw others’ interest to you.

Helps You Become a Connecting Node in the Network

As a postgraduate student, developing networks is not just meant to help you satisfy your career needs. You will build your relationship with others without necessarily wanting to get something out of them. You will also share your knowledge and help to connect others to opportunities for jobs or workshops. In this way, you also become valuable as someone who helps others to make connections, and they will reciprocate, especially when they have opportunities to share with you.

The Bottom Line

Acquiring your postgraduate degree definitely elevates the level of your academic achievement. However, it does not guarantee you to get the employment opportunities in your field. Networking will help you add value to your career through investing in others in terms of sharing your connections and expertise and having people to turn to when pursuing growth opportunities. This will ease any transitions that you may need to make in your career in pursuit of available better opportunities.

Related Articles

How To Effectively Network

How To Find Part-Time Work During Your PG Studies

Making Contacts As A Postgraduate Student

How To Get The Most Out Of Your Postgrad Studies

Relationships With Postgraduate Academic Staff

Making The Most Of Non-Academic Opportunities As A PG Student

Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries

8 comments

Mohammad Shafiq Sultan Sept. 5, 2017, 5:27 a.m.

hello , my name is Mohammad Shafiq Sultan, I am a Law graduated students from Osmania University,3 Oct 2012, I want to pursue my LLM (International Law,International Law & international relations), would you like to give me authentic & accurate information about World-wised & top ranking UK universities,

Charlotte King Sept. 5, 2017, 9:12 p.m.

Hi Mohammed,

Our partner website www.llmstudy.com has plenty of information about LLM programs and highly ranked law schools.

Click here for more information:

Kind Regards,

Charlotte

Dickarmken A. Deemie Sept. 11, 2018, 4:53 p.m.

I will be completing my undergraduate by May 2020 and would be interested in doing my MSC.
Please let me know when there exist a full scholarship for students from developing countries like Liberia in west Africa.
Thanks

Charlotte King Sept. 12, 2018, 11:18 a.m.

I'm afraid I'm not aware of any specific full scholarships for students from Liberia. You should contact the universities with postgrad programs you are interested in directly and ask them what they have to offer students in your position. Once you have been offered a place on an MSc you are eligible to apply for one of our bursaries worth £500 towards your tuition fees. https://www.postgrad.com/fees_and_funding/postgrad_solutions_study_bursaries/information/
Good luck!

Zarifa Sept. 12, 2018, 7:39 p.m.

Hello,my name is Zarifa. I would like to hear about scholarship opportunities in UK to study master for International Relations, Human rights, or Security Studies.
Thanks in Advance

Ezeani ifeoma Sept. 13, 2018, 12:49 p.m.

Good day,
Am Ezeani Ifeoma a B.Eng degree holder in Mechanical Engineering from Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Anambra State, Nigeria.
Am very interest in gaining my M.Eng through this Chevening Scholarship but am afraid I don't have all the necessary information and someone to put me through my application so as to be successfully at the long run. So am pleading you to please assist me in filling my application or send me a link of someone who might be able to assist.
Also, I would like to join your Network, so as to be able to connect with the Chevening Alumni.
Thank you.

Charlotte King Sept. 15, 2018, 11:08 a.m.

Hi Zarifa - if you have a place on a masters program you are eligible to apply for one of our Postgrad Solutions Bursaries worth £500 - applications have just opened for 2019 entry > https://www.postgrad.com/fees_and_funding/postgrad_solutions_study_bursaries/information/
You should also check with your chosen universities to see what scholarships they have on offer.
Good luck - Charlotte

Charlotte King Sept. 17, 2018, 1:38 p.m.

Hi Ezeani - here is some more information about Chevening >
Good luck with your application.