find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses

Essential Border Control Information for International Students in the UK

May the force be with you…

If you’re an international student heading to the UK for your postgraduate studies Border Force UK has issued a list of things you should be prepared for when you arrive at the UK border. This has been done to make things run as smoothly as possible for you, so  as long as you follow these guidelines entry to the UK should be a breeze.

Border Force UK

What to bring…

Upon arrival at passport control expect a few simple questions about your studies and the time you’re going to spend in the UK. They wall also expect you to have the following documentation.

1. Have your passport ready and remember t make sure it is removed from any cover.

2. If you are a non EEA National make sure you have a completed a landing card.

3. You will need your university Certificate of Acceptance Studies (CAS) number, and if you don’t have a CAS number be sure to bring details of your postgraduate course.

4. Other documents to make sure you have in your hand luggage include medical documentation, recent bank statement, and details of your UK accommodation.

It is imperative that you do not give any false or misleading information to Border Force – including forged or counterfeit documents.

Border Force Bring

What not to bring…

As well as making sure you have all the necessary documentation you also need to be aware that there are restrictions in place as to what you can bring into the UK:

1. There are restrictions for certain foods, plants, alcohol and tobacco.

2. Gifts and sums of money equivalent to $10,000 or more are not allowed.

3. Persons entering the UK cannot bring in endangered plants or animals, this includes ivory, skins, hides and shells and any products made from them.

4. It is strictly forbidden to enter the UK with counterfeit goods, illegal drugs, offensive weapons or indecent or obscene material.

5. Bear in mind that some items are restricted and will require a licence or permit.

Please click here to get more information on the restrictions.


Related articles

UK Immigration Procedures

Travelling To The UK

Studying Abroad: How To Get A Visa

Working In The UK As An International Student

Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries