University of Plymouth
Visit us at our next open evening
University of Plymouth is a high-quality, teaching and research-rich institution with a mission to advance knowledge and transform lives. The Times Higher Education Young Universities ranking places us amongst the top 3 modern universities in the UK* and we have a record number of Higher Education Academy National Teaching Fellows, reflecting the innovative learning environment at the heart of our taught programmes. Nearly two-thirds of our submission to the most recent Research Excellence Framework was rated as ‘world leading’ or of ‘international quality’.
*2017 Times Higher Education Young Universities
You may be eligible for one of the government funded loans of up to £10,280 towards the cost of your masters degree.
There are also a number of additional ways to fund postgraduate study at University of Plymouth, including scholarships, studentships, and grants from charitable trusts. Details of these can be found on our general funding webpages.
Research and Taught Degrees
Plymouth's record demonstrates that we undertake world-leading research of global significance across the vast majority of our research areas and that our students work alongside world-class experts. Our research degrees can be studied full and part time and include ResM, MPhil, PhD and many more.
A wide range of masters degree programmes are available, reflecting the disciplines of our academic experts. All programmes include training in research methods and generic skills as well as a comprehensive body of subject-specific modules. Most are completed in 12 months (full time) although some part-time and distance learning modes are available.
With an international reputation for quality research across our faculties, University of Plymouth is one of the leading research universities in the South West of England – the 2016 CWTS Leiden Rankings (measuring scientific collaboration and the quality and influence of research) places University of Plymouth in the top 30 in the UK. Our researchers have recently influenced government legislation, both in the UK and abroad, due to their research into the presence of microplastics and microbeads in our oceans.
Our research institutes
Our research institutes are aligned with our diverse research strengths and they fully reflect the University’s interdisciplinary approach. They support and encourage collaborative activities, provide a first-class research environment for staff and students, as well as helping to showcase ground breaking work of high impact to key audiences and stakeholders on a global stage. To find out more about our institutes visit our webpages.
The campus has been redesigned and modernised to create improved study and leisure amenities, including:
- Charles Seale-Hayne library with 24 hours access
- Our performing arts centre, The House, which has technical facilities to rival the best university theatre provision in the UK
- Beautifully restored gardens Drake’s Place, which is a hub for public events and activities
- Our Marine Building, which houses some of the most advanced testing facilities including deep-water wave tanks, a ship simulator, labs and support space
- The new Derriford Research Facility, which will have hi-tech equipment that will accelerate our world-leading research.
Unlike many other universities, our campus is based right in the heart of the city, ensuring that you are never too far from the action. The pedestrianised shopping area, train station and Plymouth's spectacular waterfront, historic Barbican and the Hoe are only a short walk from the campus.
Support for postgraduate students
The Doctoral College operates across the entire University and has an executive role in assuring quality and due process for postgraduate research degrees. Its support includes:
- The provision of good facilities for learning access to scholarships, studentships and bursaries for research degrees, professional doctorates and taught masters programmes.
- Opportunities for research students to develop professional skills through a free comprehensive programme of generic skills workshops and study days.
- Assurance of the quality of our provision through codes of practice and feedback from research students.
- Social space for postgraduates.
- Support from the Postgraduate Society through monthly exchange sessions.
Student Recruitment and Admissions
University of Plymouth
Plymouth PL4 8AA
- PGCE courses
- Plymouth Business School
- Plymouth Graduate School of Management
- Plymouth Institute of Education
- Plymouth Law School
- Plymouth University Peninsula School of Dentistry
- Plymouth University Peninsula School of Medicine
- School of Architecture, Design and Environment
- School of Art, Design and Architecture
- School of Biological and Marine Sciences
- School of Biomedical and Biological Sciences
- School of Biomedical and Healthcare Sciences
- School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics
- School of Engineering
- School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences
- School of Health Professions
- School of Humanities and Performing Arts
- School of Law, Criminology and Government
- School of Marine Science and Engineering
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
- School of Psychology
- School of Social Science and Social Work
- School of Tourism and Hospitality
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here