De Montfort University: Architectural Practice
|Institution||De Montfort University View institution profile|
|Department||Arts, Design and Humanities|
|Telephone||0116 250 6070|
Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip
The Postgraduate Diploma in Architectural Practice at the Leicester School of Architecture – one of the oldest schools of architecture in the UK – prepares you for registration and chartership.
You will reflect on the evolution of the professional architect, relevant legislation and alternative approaches to practice and management. The course will develop your professional acumen in business organisation, management and commerce, advocacy, ethics and marketing, contracts and interpersonal skills. The course offers a flexible learning programme comprising three study units, each lasting three days, typically running from October to October. Study units cover the following topics:
**Marketing, Management and Practice**, covering the skills and knowledge needed to understand the set-up, professional and economic management, and marketing of a professional architectural practice in various forms.
**Building Contracts**, covering the range of common building contracts, their application and the contractual relationships between contracted parties.
**Architect and the Law**, covering legislation affecting contract law, planning and development, and the wider regulations related to architecture and the building industry.
* Successful candidates gain eligibility to join the register at the Architects’ Registration Board (ARB) and chartered membership with the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).
* The long-standing Leicester School of Architecture is one of the oldest architectural schools in the UK. Our approach draws on years of experience to challenge conventions and redefine the future of architectural practice.
* Learn the key aspects of the role of the architect such as setting up, marketing and managing a practice, and gain an understanding of legislation and contracts related to the building industry.
* Learn from established practitioners, academics and consultants, who will ensure you are responding to contemporary, real-world issues grounded in theory and practice.
* Our award-winning Vijay Patel building has been designed to provide the space and facilities where all of our art and design students can develop their ideas and flourish.
|Level||RQF Level 7|
You must have ARB/RIBA Part 1 and 2 exemption.
You must also be in full-time work in a practice with an ARB registered architect.
You will automatically be enrolled on the PEDR course. You are required to have at least eight PEDR sheets completed by the time you take the professional interview in November, four of which must be post-part 2.
The qualification leads to access in the UK register with title and access to market. Please note that the qualification may have no bearing on registration in a legal jurisdiction other than the UK.
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with 5.5 in each band, or equivalent when you start the course is essential.
|England||2150 GBP for Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||2150 GBP for Year 1|
|Scotland||2150 GBP for Year 1|
|Wales||2150 GBP for Year 1|
**Reasons to choose Architectural Practice PG Dip at DMU:**
- Successful candidates gain eligibility to join the register at the Architects’ Registration Board (ARB) and chartered membership with the RIBA
- Reflect on the changing nature of professional practice, relevant legislation and alternative approaches to practice and management and the evolution of the professional architect
- Develop your professional acumen in business organisation, management and commerce, marketing, advocacy, ethics and marketing, contracts and interpersonal skills
- Benefit from a wide exposure to current issues in contracts, law, economic context and management
- Study on a course that prepares you for registration and chartership
- The new Vijay Patel building has been designed to provide the space and facilities where ideas can develop and flourish for all of our art and design courses - find out more
The course offers a flexible learning programme comprising of three-day study blocks typically running from October to October, a final two-day exam (which can be taken in the office where you are employed) and a professional interview in October 2019. Our Architectural Practice PG Dip enjoys close relationships with established practitioners, academics and consultants, who provide guidance on to topical issues in contracts, law, economics and management.
|Level||RQF Level 7|
- You must have ARB/RIBA Part 1 and 2 exemption.
The qualification leads to access in the UK register with title and access to market, and by extension access to EU markets. Please note that the qualification may have no bearing on registration in a legal jurisdiction other than the UK, and by extension the EU member states
|EU||1800 GBP for Year 1|
|England||1800 GBP for Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||1800 GBP for Year 1|
|Scotland||1800 GBP for Year 1|
|Wales||1800 GBP for Year 1|
De Montfort University
Postgraduate courses at De Montfort University Leicester (DMU) are tailored to meet the needs of modern employers. Our courses are industry-relevant, many with accreditation from leading professional bodies, and are designed to equip you with the expertise to succeed in a competitive workplace.
Becoming a postgraduate student at DMU allows you to deepen your knowledge, widen your experience and amplify your career options. Not only that, but you will be part of a dynamic, diverse and supportive community with research excellence at its heart.
As a campus university situated in the hub of Leicester, DMU students get …View Profile
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Construction, Architecture or Architectural practice, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here