So, you’re a postgraduate student in Wales? Lucky you! From its spectacular natural beauty to a range of cultural events that take place across the country annually, Wales is a great place to live. Whether you’re totally new to Wales or a return visitor who is seeking out new experiences as a postgraduate, here’s a list of ten fun things you can do while you continue your studies in Wales.
1. Visit Snowdonia National Park From mountain climbing to hiking and fishing, there is so much to do at Snowdonia National Park that if you’re planning a trip, you really should make it a weekend away. Many people like to trek to the summit of Snowdon, the highest mountain in Wales, when they visit the park, but if trekking up mountains is just not your thing, then you can take a trip on the Snowdon Mountain Railway which also runs to the summit.
2. Enjoy A Day At The Beach Now, when I say ‘enjoy a day at the beach’ I’m not talking about just any old beach. Oh no. Wales is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and you should check out as many as you can. If you only have time to make it to one beach due to all that studying, then we recommend you take a trip to Rhossili Bay on the Gower peninsula, which regularly earns a spot on various ‘best beaches in the world’ lists.
3. Visit The Smallest House In Great Britain Visiting the smallest house in Britain sounds like a fun day trip, right? Also known as Quay House, the smallest house in Britain, which stands on the quay in Conwy, was used as residence from the 16th Century until 1900 when it was deemed unfit for human habitation by the local council. It costs £1 to visit, although visitors can’t go upstairs due to structural instability.
4. Go Pubbing You’re a student, so you need to go pubbing on a regular basis – right? If you’re partial to a nice sunny beer garden with a chilled glass of Sauvignon in hand, you should check out the T? Coch Inn in Porthdinllaen, which sits right on the beach with spectacular sea views out across the bay.
5. Go To A Record Store If you’re a music fan, you’ll be right at home in Wales which is home to some great independent record stores. From Kelley’s Records in the Central Cardiff Market to Spiller’s Records, which prides itself on being the oldest record shop in the world, you can spend hours searching through racks of second-hand and collectible vinyl.
6. Visit A Castle If history is your thing, then you’ve come to the right place. Wales has an array of beautiful and spectacular castles, all well worth visiting. Check out Caerphilly, which is the largest castle in Wales, and the second-largest in Britain.
7. Take A Trip To Portmeirion Take a trip to the storybook village of Portmeirion in North Wales, which was designed and built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis in the style of an Italian village. Portmeirion has to be seen to be believed. It is really unique and unlike anywhere else you will visit in Wales.
8. Go To A Music Festival While in Portmeirion you could check out its annual art and music festival, Festival No. 6, which attracts music acts from around the world. Green Man, an alternative music festival in Brecon Beacons is another popular pick.
9. Go To A Sporting Event From taking in a pulse-pounding rugby at the Millennium Stadium, to watching Gareth Bale play football for the national team, Wales has plenty to offer for sports fans. The Welsh love to sing and cheer their teams to victory, so be sure to get involved!
10. Learn The Language You’re in Wales to learn, so why not go one step further and learn the language? There are a number of online resources available to help you on your way!
Related Articles Guide To Postgrad Study In Wales
Student City Guide To Cardiff
Fresh Student Living
- Coronavirus (Covid-19)
- Distance Learning / Online Study
- International Students
- Jobs and Careers
- Mature Students
- MBA Programs
- Personal Statement
- Student Life
- Student Welfare
- Study Abroad
- Study Advice
- Study In Australia
- Study In Europe
- Study In Ireland
- Study in UK
- Study In USA
- Theses and Dissertations
- Top 10 Lists