How Much Does A PGCE Cost?

Studying a PGCE in the UK can lead to an exciting and rewarding career teaching in primary and secondary schools both in the UK and worldwide.

UK PGCE graduates are desired around the world in international schools teaching in English and a PGCE might cost you nothing if you want to train in a subject area
that is looking for more teachers – for example the sciences.

So, now you've decided you want to be a PGCE student you can take a look at how much it costs to study a PGCE.

PGCE Tuition Fees

Most institutions in England and Wales charge around £9,250 for the PGCE year for UK and EU students. For students from outside of the EU costs can be around £16,500 up to £25,200 for the PGCE year the University of Cambridge. In Scotland the fees for the PGCE (known in Scotland as a PGDE) year are charged at the undergraduate rate of £1,820 for Scottish and EU students, £9,250 for students from the rest of the UK and £16,200 for international students.

PGCE Course Costs

Attending your PGCE course will have additional costs as will attending your teaching placements. You should budget for around £100 each semester for additional expenses like books and other materials for your course but this will depend on you and on your institution. Many institutions arrange travel to and from your placements, but do ask about this so you can budget for it if you need to. Other costs might be supplies that you wish to use, but the school you are working in should be able to help with these. Other costs could include lunches away from home. 

Postgraduate Living Costs

If you are attending a course away from home, then you are going to have a few extra settling in costs. Rent in the UK can vary depending on what you want to rent, and where you want to rent it. If you don't mind sharing with others costs can be from between around £300 to £800 per month for standard student accommodation. Don't forget about daily commuting to and from your course as well as that all-important socialising and relaxing outside of your course. The costs of feeding yourself can vary from a cheap £30 per week upwards as it really depends on your lifestyle and diet. If you are leaving a career to retrain as a teacher, then you need to think about how your lifestyle might need to change over the hectic PGCE year to keep living costs down. 

PGCE Funding

There is plenty of funding available for PGCE students who wish to train to become teachers including a good selection of teaching bursaries. Postgraduate students will qualify for funding through their local student finance authority, and many students will qualify for a bursary from the National College for Teaching and Leadership. If you have an undergraduate degree of a 2:2 or above and want to teach, then you may qualify for a bursary of up to £26,000. For those who wish to teach subjects that are in demand like maths then you could qualify for a grant of up to £30,000, which is given as a £20,000 bursary during your course and then a further £10,000 once you start teaching. 

In England, there are postgraduate teaching training courses that are for the highest qualified graduates. These courses are known as School Direct programs and are salaried positions where you learn as you teach gaining Qualified Teacher Status through experience.

Related Articles

PGCE Course Search

Teaching Bursaries

How To Become A Teacher Infographic

Getting Into Teaching

What Is A PGCE Student? A Definition

Top 10 PGCE Courses In The UK

What's It Really Like To Study A PGCE?

PGCE Funding

Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries


Kefilwe Dire Nov. 28, 2018, 12:33 a.m.

I want to study pgce i have my bachelor degree , im not woking i need to be funded

Charlotte King Nov. 29, 2018, 9:23 a.m.

In the UK tax free funding of up to £28,000 is available for PGCE students - you can find out more here >

MZe Bem Patrick Dec. 7, 2018, 10:18 a.m.

With pass/ ordinary degree can I go for pgce or PGD in this university?

Charlotte King Dec. 7, 2018, 10:21 a.m.

What university are you interested in? You should be able to study a PGCE at a UK university with a pass at BA level.

Randall April 14, 2019, 4:23 p.m.

I am a South African with a B-Tech degree. I have 10 years of ESL teaching experience and would like to be funded for a PGCE in the UK. Who can I email for more help? Thanks.

Charlotte King April 16, 2019, 3:53 p.m.

Hi Randall,

Check with the UK Government's funding website in case you are eligible for any funding >
Also, once you have been offered a place on a PGCE you will be eligible to apply for one of our Postgrad Solutions study Bursaries worth £500 >

Good luck finding funding.

Peter May 4, 2019, 2:30 p.m.

Hi Charlotte,

I have a PhD in Intellectual History, I have been published in the top academic journals and I’m now working on a monograph. I’ve also taught on numerous undergraduate modules at university. However I’m considering teaching at college (16-18) level given the difficulty of a career in academia nowadays. Do you have any advice, either in regards a PGCE or any other routes in view of my qualifications? Many thanks.


Charlotte King May 7, 2019, 8:37 p.m.

Hi Peter,

With your qualifications I think you should be eligible to apply to study a PGCE . This will take you one year to complete and there is plenty of funding available >
Once you have been eligible to study a a PGCE you will be able to apply for one of our £500 Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries >

Good luck,


Martin Gattuso June 21, 2019, 2:27 p.m.

Hi Charlotte,

I'm interested in teaching primary education and especially drama and movement. I have a diploma in dance and a degree in Japanese.i currently work as an ESL teacher in Asia. What's my best route in? Where to start?



Charlotte King June 25, 2019, 8:20 a.m.

Hi Martin,

To study a PGCE you'll need to demonstrate GCSE grade C / 4 (or standard equivalent) in maths and English – and a science subject for primary trainees. If you don’t meet this entry criteria, your training provider may ask you to sit a GCSE, equivalency test, or offer other evidence to demonstrate your ability. You'll also need a degree or degree equivalent.
Here is a link to the UK Government information on eligibility requirements for studying a PGCE in the UK >

I hope this helps.


dr. punit goyal June 29, 2019, 9:39 a.m.

thanks for sharing this such an informative post

Leave a comment

All contributors must be over 16 year olds

By submitting your comment you agree to our privacy policy.

Register with

  • Exclusive bursaries
  • Open day alerts
  • Latest PG news
Register Now!