University of Portsmouth: Social Work
|Institution||University of Portsmouth View institution profile|
|Department||Faculty of Science and Health|
|Telephone||023 9284 5566|
Whether you're already working in the field, or a graduate who wants to make a difference in social work, our MSc Social Work degree course can help you improve your skills – and enhance your career prospects too.
On this course, you'll become a confident practitioner in the changing arena of social work. With an emphasis on professionalism, professional judgement, relationship-focused work and protection, you'll learn to work across the social work spectrum, with some of the most vulnerable people in society.
We'll provide the expertise and support so you can develop your professional practice. Once you graduate, you'll have the skills and techniques you need for a career in social work, whether in local authorities, healthcare settings, voluntary organisations or as a practice teacher.
This Master's course is a professional qualification for social work approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Once you've graduated, you will be eligible to apply for registration with the HCPC, which means you can work as a professional Social Worker in statutory, voluntary and independent sector agencies.
**What you'll experience**
On this course you'll:
- Be taught by expert staff and researchers who are active in the social work field
- Learn through simulation, group work and skills workshops
- Study the theory and practice of social work, empowering service users and promoting inclusion, and legal and policy frameworks
- Understand how to work with children and families, mental health patients, people with disabilities and vulnerable adults
- Work closely with the University of Portsmouth Social Work Inclusion Group (SWIG), to help you understand service user experiences
- Practise your profession-specific skills in our Centre for Simulation in Health and Care, a safe and supportive environment which uses innovative technologies to simulate real-life scenarios
- Put your learning into action on practice placements
**Careers and opportunities**
When you graduate from the MSc Social Work degree course, you'll have the knowledge and practical skills to work in any branch of social work.
**What jobs can you do with a Social Work degree?**
Career opportunities include:
- social worker
- practice teacher
- care manager
- persistent offender coordinator
- family support worker
- housing adviser
- homelessness/substance abuse charities
- PhD study
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
|Level||RQF Level 7|
A 2:1 honours degree in a relevant subject or a degree in an associated discipline. Applicants with a lower classification (2:2) will be considered on an individual basis, considering relevant experience and academic achievement. Applicants must also have relevant work experience, more than 3 months in voluntary or paid employment in a health, education or social care environment. All shortlisted applicants are subject to interview. All offers are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance and Occupational Health clearance.
Winston Churchill Avenue
|EU||10500 GBP for Year 1|
|England||10500 GBP for Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||10500 GBP for Year 1|
|Scotland||10500 GBP for Year 1|
|Wales||10500 GBP for Year 1|
|Channel Islands||10500 GBP for Year 1|
|International||14300 GBP for Year 1|
University of Portsmouth
We are the University of Portsmouth: a new breed of university, dedicated to your personal growth and development. Our horizons are broad. Our instinct is to explore. Our promise is to inspire.
Taught qualification or independent research? On-campus teaching or online part-time study? At Portsmouth, you can choose from a wide range of subjects and modes of study.
- No.21 university in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2020)
- Outstanding Gold-rated teaching for our students (TEF)
- Dedicated Graduate School supporting all research students
- Top 25% of universities for postgraduate research student experience (PRES Postgraduate Research Experience ...
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Community education, Ethics, Health studies, Family welfare, Social care, Community care, Social work, Child protection, Rehabilitation, Criminology or Social policy, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here