find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses

The procedures of the authorities in your own country

Many countries require their citizens to get permission before leaving the country to study. You should always check, therefore, what the procedures are in your own country, and begin these procedures as early as possible.

Check with your own national government offices what the requirements are, or ask at the local British Council office. In some cases they will require evidence that you have been offered a place to study on a genuine university programme before they will give their permission, so you will need to have the confirmation or offer letter from your university.

They may also want to interview you to check that you are qualified to study abroad, that you have the finance to study in the UK and that you have made suitable arrangements for any dependants such as your husband or wife, children or parents.

Looking for funding for postgraduate studies? Check out the exclusive bursaries on offer from Postgrad Solutions.