University of the Highlands and Islands: Aquaculture, Environment and Society
|Institution||University of the Highlands and Islands|
|Department||Science, Technology and the Environment|
This Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree in Aquaculture, Environment and Society (EMJMD, ACES) offers specialised training to deliver highly skilled graduates capable of addressing the challenge of food provision for a growing world population.
Food security is of global importance and, in the face of declining resources, aquaculture will have an increasingly demand for people with in-depth knowledge and practical expertise to enable this major industry to produce nutritious, high-quality and affordable foods. Graduates will be capable of addressing these challenges and will have exciting international career opportunities.
The sustainable development of the aquaculture industry in Europe has become essential for improving the competitiveness of this sector internationally. There are many major scientific, technological and social obstacles, however to overcome.
• The course is delivered by an international team of experts at world class research facilities including: Scottish Association for Marine Science UHI; University of Crete (Greece); and University of Nantes (France).
• Associate institutes with world-class reputations are an integral part of this course and include the United Nations University - Institute of Water, Environment and Health (UNU-INWEH) and the Huinay Research Station, Chile.
• There are numerous international partners (including the International Oceanographic Commission, Sainsbury’s and Marine Harvest) offering dissertation placements with full industry participation.
• The course gives students an opportunity to study for 6 months in three European countries and an unparalleled insight into aquaculture practices and policies across Europe and beyond.
• You will gain research experience through a dissertation, linked to an industrial partner and hosted by an ACES partner, with supervision from experts in the field.
• You will benefit from strong peer-group support and networking developed throughout the programme as you move around the partners as one group during the first three semesters.
• A limited number of Erasmus+ Scholarships are available on a competitive basis for each intake to cover the tuition fees, living and travel expenses. Any student can apply for a scholarship and applications from EU and particularly non-EU candidates are welcome.
|Level||SCQF Level 11|
The EMJMD ACES programme is aimed at students from all over the world. Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in one of the fields of environmental or social sciences, as well as a good level of English (at least IELTS 6.5). Basic French is recommended; (although not essential as intensive French language classes are provided), for daily living in Semester 2. Admission is granted on the basis of a competitive selection procedure.
The course is open to International students, who are able to study at SAMS-UHI under a "Short Term" study visa, which allows students to study for a period of 6 months in the UK before moving to the University of Crete.
|Location||Scottish Association for Marine Science UHI|
PO Box 3
|EU||4500 EUR for Whole course|
|England||4500 EUR for Whole course|
|Northern Ireland||4500 EUR for Whole course|
|Scotland||4500 EUR for Whole course|
|Wales||4500 EUR for Whole course|
|Channel Islands||4500 EUR for Whole course|
|International||9000 EUR for Whole course|
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Agriculture, Animal husbandry, Fish farming or Aquaculture, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here