find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: Advanced Practice in Veterinary Nursing
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Veterinary Medicine|
This is the first, fully online, postgraduate qualification designed specifically for RVNs currently being delivered in Scotland. Providing a framework for postgraduate study, you have the opportunity to advance your knowledge, improve research skills, and practice evidence-based veterinary nursing.
The part-time, online nature of the programme is ideally suited to individuals who are in full-time employment or have other personal commitments.
- Specifically designed to support the delivery of quality care, evidence-based learning and best practice techniques.
- Devised by experts from different fields of veterinary nursing and the wider veterinary industry, this means the planning and delivery of courses remains current, relevant and valuable to you, especially when it comes to furthering your career.
- Experience a range of learning and teaching approaches including lectures, seminars, tutorials, work-based learning and project work through our online learning platform.
- Tailor the subject of many of your assessments and final dissertation to disciplines or specialisms relevant and interesting to you.
- The PG Certificate is accredited by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. Upon graduation from the programme, RCVS Registered Veterinary Nurses who have pre-enrolled with the RCVS will be able to use the CertAVN post nominal. Further information can be found on the RCVS website at Certificate in Advanced Veterinary Nursing.
Watch Samantha Fontaine, the programme director, tell you more...
Advanced Practice in Veterinary Nursing comprises of:
- Year 1: three 20 credit compulsory courses
- Year 2: two 20 credit compulsory courses plus one 20 credit optional courses
- Year 3: one 60 credit dissertation / project
PgCert: Year 1PgDip: Years 1 & 2MSc: Years 1, 2 & 3
- RESEARCH AND EVIDENCE BASED VETERINARY NURSING
- CLINICAL GOVERNANCE IN VETERINARY NURSING
- DEVELOPING EVIDENCE BASED PRACTICE THROUGH REFLECTION
- RESEARCH DESIGN AND DISSEMINATION
- ANIMAL AND VETERINARY ETHICS
- TEACHING AND ASSESSMENT IN VETERINARY NURSING
- INTRODUCTION TO VETERINARY BUSINESS STUDIES
(Please note: options in year 2 are not guaranteed and are dependent on numbers)
- MSC ADVANCED PRACTICE IN VETERINARY NURSING: DISSERTATION
The programme is delivered fully online using a range of learning and teaching approaches including lectures, seminars, tutorials, work-based learning and project work.
You will have the flexibility to tailor the subject of many of your assessments and final dissertation to disciplines or specialisms that are relevant and of interest to you and/or your future career.
The online and part-time nature of this programme, and the flexibility this route offers, makes it ideally suited to individuals in full-time employment.
Although the programme is flexible, there is an expectation that students will contribute 20 hours weekly to discussion fora, activities, etc.
This programme meets the demand for the preparation of both specialised and extended role practitioners.
It will develop students’ knowledge, skills and confidence allowing them to pursue a career related to Advanced Practice in Veterinary Nursing such as:
- Referral nurse
- Head nurse
- Practice manager
The programme also provides a platform for students to move into the field of research, with the potential for individuals to continue studying towards a PhD.
University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is one of the UK’s most prestigious seats of learning, and the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world. Established in 1451 and recognised for its world-changing research and teaching, the University has inspired thinkers from eminent scientist Lord Kelvin and the father of economics Adam Smith, to Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- is ranked 67th in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2020
- is in the top 100 in the world: Times Higher World University Rankings 2020
- 95.9% of students in employment or further study 6 …
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here