find your perfect postgrad program
Search our Database of 30,000 Courses
University of Glasgow: City Planning and Real Estate Development
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Social & Political Sciences View department profile|
This unique degree programme brings together the disciplines of city planning and real estate development in a concentrated year of study. It will prepare you for working either as a planner or real estate surveyor while also ensuring that you develop an in-depth appreciation of how different stakeholders in the planning and real estate sectors make decisions about future places.
The philosophy of the City Planning and Real Estate Development programme is to break down the professional barriers between two built environment disciplines that make better place-based decisions when they work together. The skills and knowledge this course delivers is crucial in our rapidly changing world, particularly in the context of rapid urbanisation and climate change.
- If you want to establish a career as a chartered town planner and/or chartered real estate surveyor, this programme is for you.
- This programme is uniquely designed to help you navigate between two professions and influence urban change in new and dynamic ways.
- It is delivered via a dynamic combination of lectures, workshops, seminars alongside numerous field visits that use the city as an urban laboratory.
- You will benefit from world class and research-driven academic instruction alongside opportunities to learn about practice from industry professionals working in both the public and private sector.
- It will provide you with a theoretical and practical appreciation of city planning and real estate development. It will help you develop your skills as a critical thinker and innovative practitioner.
- An optional field trip to London will provide you with an insight into the complexities of city planning in a World City. Past trips have included visits to The Shard, King’s Cross, Battersea Power Station and a number of grassroot projects that focus on community development.
- This programme is professionally accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).
You will take a series of core courses and undertake a dissertation or a major project in planning and real estate development.
Core courses provide you with a grounding in core knowledge and skills required of planners, surveyors and real estate developers working within the planning and development field. Subjects covered include planning and real estate development processes, real estate economics, valuation and development appraisal, spatial planning strategies.
- CONTEMPORARY PLANNING SYSTEMS
- DESIGNING PLACES
- DEVELOPMENT APPRAISAL FOR REAL ESTATE SURVEYORS
- DEVELOPMENT PROCESS
- GOVERNANCE AND MARKETS
- PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE, ETHICS AND MANAGEMENT
- PROPERTY LAW FOR REAL ESTATE SURVEYORS
- SPATIAL PLANNING STRATEGIES
- REAL ESTATE MARKETS
- REAL ESTATE VALUATION AND APPRAISAL
- URBAN STUDIES RESEARCH: DESIGN, METHODS & ETHICS
Courses are assessed through a mix of continuous methods to enable you to develop a suitable balance of planning and real estate development competencies. They will involve you attending lectures, seminars and tutorials and taking part in projects, IT labs, field visits and team work.
As a graduate you will be in possession of an MSc degree recognised by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI). You can develop your career as a chartered town planner, chartered surveyor, or both.
University of Glasgow
School of Social & Political Sciences
The University of Glasgow’s School of Social & Political Sciences links core social science disciplines to deliver high-quality teaching and cutting-edge research. We offer a wide variety of programmes for those interested in the development and impact of economies and societies globally.
Founded in 1451, the University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university in the English-speaking world. The University has a history of changing the world and the School of Social & Political Sciences is committed to nurturing the people who make it happen.
Postgraduate taught degrees
Our postgraduate degrees …
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Urban or Urban development, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here