University of Glasgow: Palliative Care
|Institution||University of Glasgow View institution profile|
|Department||School of Medicine, Dentistry & Nursing|
Students will further develop their skills in critical analysis of core concepts along with symptom control, leadership, communication and holistic care. Students’ expertise will be enhanced by projects that will take place in their own clinical environment. This part-time online distance learning (ODL) programme will support graduates in becoming clinical and academic leaders in the field of Palliative Care with a qualification from a world top 100 university.
- Emphasis on learning embedded in clinical practice
- Areas covered include symptom-control, communication skills, patient-centred care, leadership and effectiveness.
- Taught by a team of clinicians with a wide range of clinical and educational experience, delivered as an online distance learning programme.
- Delivered by experts in the field of palliative care using a multi-modal teaching approach which includes lectures, seminars, and online forums.
- Tailored for students to reflect on implementing knowledge and skills in their own workplace in the UK or internationally.
- Assessments are geared to acquiring work, academic and leadership skills and confidence to help students grow in their roles.
- Watch and Dr Joanna Prentice, the programme directors, tell you more...
The programme is taken over three years by online distance learning with exit points at:
- PgCert - (60 credits, year 1 courses)
- PgDip - (120 credits, years 1 & 2 courses)
- MSc - (180 credits, years 1 & 2 courses plus dissertation,three years in total)
The programme is delivered online and consists of core courses as detailed below.
Learning is exclusively via a state-of-the-art virtual learning environment (VLE) with emphasis on the research and governance principles which underpin contemporary practice, as well as leadership and management skills.
The MSc/PGDip courses in year 1 are designed to introduce the skills required to complete the course and apply evidence-based practice.
Students will also start the in depth exploration of core clinical subjects in palliative care and begin to produce independent pieces for submission online.
In year 2, MSc/PGDip students will further enhance their knowledge of core subjects and be introduced to leadership and management principles as well as clinical governance and quality improvement in palliative care.
In year 3, MSc/PGDip students will write a dissertation around a topic of their choice allowing them to use the skills of academic enquiry learned.
- SYMPTOM CONTROL IN CHANGING POPULATIONS
- SYMPTOM CONTROL
- THEMES IN PALLIATIVE CARE
- ADVANCED COMMUNICATION AND ETHICS
- CLINICAL LEADERSHIP AND EFFECTIVENESS
- RESEARCH METHODS FOR PALLIATIVE CARE
- PALLIATIVE CARE DISSERTATION (MSC students only)
The programme forms a strong basis for a career in palliative care for nursing, medicine or allied healthcare professionals (AHPs) by following the major learning themes for the above specialist areas.
It also will become part of the essential requirements for Band 7 and above specialists in palliative care.
For medical candidates, the convenors of the programme will ensure the programme reflects GMC credentialing and will provide an academic underpinning for trainees in palliative care and a foundation for those seeking to further their skills in research, leadership and quality improvement.
University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is one of the UK’s most prestigious seats of learning, and the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world. Established in 1451 and recognised for its world-changing research and teaching, the University has inspired thinkers from eminent scientist Lord Kelvin and the father of economics Adam Smith, to Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
- is ranked 67th in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2020
- is in the top 100 in the world: Times Higher World University Rankings 2020
- 95.9% of students in employment or further study 6 …
Not what you are looking for?Search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here