University of Glasgow: School of Social and Political Scienceshttps://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/
University of Glasgow
School of Social & Political Sciences
By linking core social science disciplines we deliver high-quality teaching and cutting-edge research. We offer a wide variety of programmes for everyone interested in the development and impact of economies and societies globally.
Postgraduate taught degrees
Our postgraduate degrees provide knowledge, skills and training relevant to a broad range of careers across five subject areas.
Central & East European Studies
Our degrees allow you to study the processes of socio-economic, cultural and political transformation of Central and Eastern Europe. You can choose to specialise in Central and East European, Russian or Eurasian studies, alongside a selection of language options – Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Russian or Chinese. We were ranked 1st in Scotland for Area Studies in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014).
Economic & Social History
Hosting the largest group of subject experts in Scotland, we have exceptional strength in business and financial history, history of medicine, social and gender history. You can study the contemporary global economy through collaboration across social sciences. We also offer a core social history programme and specialist degree in history of medicine. We were ranked 2nd in Scotland for History in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014).
We offer a diverse range of programmes in the following areas: international relations, global security, human rights, political communication, and Chinese studies Throughout the year, you will have opportunities to attend and take part in our external speaker series, study trips and employability events. We were ranked 4th in Scotland for Politics & International Relations in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014).
Our diverse range of degrees cover topics such as culture and theory, criminology, racism, gender, sexuality, disability, migrations, media studies, and health. We are currently ranked 5th in UK for Sociology by the Complete University Guide 2019, and 1st in Scotland for Social Policy & Social Work in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014).
Our degrees in planning, real estate and housing are validated by professional accreditation bodies (RTPI, RICS, CIH) and provide an intensive fast track entry to a professional career. We also offer specialised programmes in public policy, and urban big data. In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) we were ranked joint 1st in the UK for Architecture, Built Environment & Planning.
Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees
Our two year Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees (EMJMD) allow you to gain an international student experience by studying with the University of Glasgow and its consortium partners across Europe and further afield. Prestigious Erasmus Mundus scholarships are available for well-qualified applicants.
- Central & East European, Russian & Eurasian Studies
- Global Markets, Local Creativities
- Security, Intelligence & Strategic Studies
- South European Studies
Postgraduate research opportunities
Our staff have expertise in a range of innovative methodological and theoretical approaches, and this provides an excellent environment for research in each of our subject areas.
- Central and East European Studies
- Economic and Social History
- Urban Planning and Real Estate
Academic staff engage extensively with public and private sector partners in research dissemination and knowledge exchange to advance understanding of social sciences, and we are proud of our record of impacting upon public debate, social and economic policy development and practice based innovations.
- Antiquities Trafficking and Art Crime PgCert: online distance learning (Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert)
- Central & East European, Russian & Eurasian Studies (Erasmus Mundus International Master) (International Master's)
- Chinese Studies (MSc)
- City Planning (MSc)
- City Planning and Real Estate Development (MSc)
- Criminology and Criminal Justice MSc (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Criminology MRes (Master of Research - MRes/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Equality and Human Rights (Master of Research - MRes)
- Global Economy (MSc)
- Global Health (MSc)
- Global Markets, Local Creatives (International Master's)
- Global Migrations & Social Justice (Master of Research - MRes)
- Global Security (MSc)
- Human Rights and International Politics (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- International Real Estate and Management (MSc)
- International Relations (Master of Research - MRes)
- International Relations MSc (University of Glasgow-Nankai University Joint Graduate School) (MSc)
- Media, Communications and International Journalism (MSc)
- Political Communication (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Public and Urban Policy (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Public Policy and Management (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Public Policy Research (Master of Research - MRes)
- Real Estate (MSc)
- Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies (Master of Research - MRes)
- Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Security, Intelligence & Strategic Studies (Erasmus Mundus International Master) (International Master's)
- Sociology (MSc)
- Sociology and Research Methods (Master of Research - MRes)
- South European Studies (International Master's)
- Spatial Planning (Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert)
- Transnational Crime, Justice and Security (MSc)
- Urban Analytics (MSc)
- Urban and Regional Planning (Glasgow-Nankai Joint Graduate School) (MSc)
- Urban Research (Master of Research - MRes)
- Urban Studies (Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert)
- Urban Transport (MSc)
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here