University of Glasgow: School of Social and Political Sciencesglasgow.ac.uk/socialpolitical
University of Glasgow
School of Social & Political Sciences
The University of Glasgow’s School of Social & Political Sciences links core social science disciplines to deliver high-quality teaching and cutting-edge research. We offer a wide variety of programmes for those interested in the development and impact of economies and societies globally.
Founded in 1451, the University of Glasgow is the fourth oldest university in the English-speaking world. The University has a history of changing the world and the School of Social & Political Sciences is committed to nurturing the people who make it happen.
Postgraduate taught degrees
Our postgraduate degrees provide knowledge, skills and training relevant to a broad range of careers across seven subject areas.
- Central & East European Studies – including the socio-economic, cultural and political transformation of Central and Eastern Europe, alongside a selection of language options in Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Russian or Chinese.
- Economic & Social History – with exceptional strength in business and financial history, contemporary global economy, history of medicine, social and gender history.
- Planning, Real Estate, Housing & Urban Studies – degrees are validated by professional accreditation bodies (RTPI, RICS, CIH) and provide an intensive fast track entry to a professional career. There are also specialised programmes in public policy and urban big data.
- Politics & International Relations – including comparative politics, European politics, the global economy, global security, human rights, political communication, and Chinese studies.
- Public Policy – including the impact of policy on society, the development and delivery of policy, and public policy and management.
- Sociology & Criminology – covering topics such as culture and theory, criminology, racism, gender, sexuality, disability, migrations, media studies, and health.
- Social Research Methods – degrees designed to progress to a PhD or to work as a social researcher.
Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees
Our two-year Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees (EMJMD) allow you to gain an international student experience by studying with the University of Glasgow and its consortium partners across Europe and further afield. Prestigious Erasmus Mundus scholarships are available for well-qualified applicants.
- Central & East European, Russian & Eurasian Studies, IntM
- Global Markets, Local Creativities, IntM
- Security, Intelligence & Strategic Studies, IntM
- South European Studies, IntM
Postgraduate research opportunities
Our staff have expertise in a range of innovative methodological and theoretical approaches and engage extensively with public and private sector partners in research dissemination and knowledge exchange to advance understanding of social sciences. This provides an excellent environment for research in each of our research subject areas.
- Central & East European Studies
- Economic & Social History
- Urban Studies
- Central & East European, Russian & Eurasian Studies (Erasmus Mundus International Master) (International Master's)
- Chinese Studies (MSc)
- City Planning (MSc)
- City Planning and Real Estate Development (MSc)
- Criminology and Criminal Justice MSc (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Criminology MRes (Master of Research - MRes/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Equality and Human Rights (MSc)
- Global Economy (MSc)
- Global Health (MSc)
- Global Markets, Local Creatives (International Master's)
- Global Migrations & Social Justice (Master of Research - MRes)
- Global Security (Master of Research - MRes)
- Human Rights and International Politics (Master of Research - MRes)
- International Real Estate and Management (MSc)
- International Relations (MSc)
- International Relations MSc (University of Glasgow-Nankai University Joint Graduate School) (MSc)
- Media, Communications and International Journalism (MSc)
- Political Communication (Master of Research - MRes)
- Public and Urban Policy (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Public Policy and Management (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Public Policy Research (Master of Research - MRes)
- Real Estate (MSc)
- Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies (Master of Research - MRes)
- Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Security, Intelligence & Strategic Studies (Erasmus Mundus International Master) (International Master's)
- Sociology (MSc)
- Sociology and Research Methods (Master of Research - MRes)
- South European Studies (International Master's)
- Spatial Planning (Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert)
- Transnational Crime, Justice and Security (MSc)
- Urban Analytics (MSc)
- Urban Research (Master of Research - MRes)
- Urban Studies (Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert)
- Urban Transport (MSc)
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here