University of Edinburgh: School of Informaticshttps://www.ed.ac.uk/informatics/postgraduate/
University of Edinburgh
School of Informatics
The School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh was ranked first in research power in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF). We produce world leading and internationally excellent research. With around 120 members of academic staff, not only are we are one of the biggest schools within its field in the UK, we are also located in a prime location the heart of a tech cluster which has over 100 start-ups and nearby Codebase, the biggest tech incubator in the UK. Studying at the School of Informatics, you would be joining the world’s brightest students in a collaborative learning environment with our distinguished staff.
Facilities and resources
The Informatics Forum is an award winning purpose-built research facility located in the city centre, on the University's main campus. The Forum sits alongside the newly refurbished and extended computing laboratories at Appleton Tower; dedicated teaching and study space for Informatics taught students for Labs, Tutorials plus private study outside scheduled class times.
Postgraduate degrees offered
- 1-year taught Masters
- 2-year taught Masters
- 1-year research - Masters By Research
- 2-year research - MPhil
- 3-year research - Doctorate (PhD)
- 4-year combined MSc/PhD (EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training)
Informatics also have a number of online learning courses as part of the Data Science, Technology and Innovation postgraduate programme.
First/upper second class honours degree or equivalent.
Taught MSc degrees
The School offers a wide choice of over 50 course options within taught, modular MSc degrees in:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Cognitive Science
- Computer Science
- Data Science
- Design Informatics
- Advanced Design Informatics (2 years)
When applying to do research, it is important to choose a topic you feel passionate about and to find out as much as you can about the research group you will be working with.
The School of Informatics attracts world-leading researchers who come together in six specialist institutes:
- Institute for Adaptive and Neural Computation (ANC) for Machine Learning, Computational Neuroscience, Computational Biology
- Institute for Computing Systems Architecture (ICSA) for Computer Architecture, Compilation & System Software, Networks & Communication
- Institute for Language, Cognition and Computation (ILCC) for Language Processing, Speech Technology, Information Retrieval, Cognition
- Institute of Perception, Action and Behaviour (IPAB) for Robotics, Computer Vision, Computer Graphics & Animation
- Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science (LSCS) for Theory & Foundations of Computer Science, Databases, Software & Systems Modelling
- Centre for Intelligent Systems and their Applications (CISA) for Automated Reasoning, Agents, Data Intensive Research, Knowledge Management
In addition to the research institutes, whose academics supervise Research Masters, MPhil and PhD students, there are three EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training which offer four-year combined MSc/PhD programmes in:
All three EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training offer a number of fully-funded places on their MSc/PhD programmes. In addition, the School offers a number of other scholarships including Informatics UK/EU Masters Scholarships.
We have a large number of available scholarships for research students, many of which are open to students from around the world, including our new Informatics Global PhD Scholarship.
If you want to know what is like to study at the School of Informatics you can check out what our current students have to say on our website.
School of Informatics
University of Edinburgh
Appleton Tower, Level 6
Edinburgh, EH8 9LE
Contacts for research degrees
Tel: +44 (0)131 650 3091
Contacts for taught Masters
Tel: +44 (0)131 651 3266
- Artificial Intelligence (MSc)
- Cognitive Science (MSc)
- Computer Science (MSc)
- Cyber Security, Privacy and Trust (MSc)
- Data Science (MSc)
- Data Science, Technology and Innovation (MSc/Postgraduate Certificate - PgCert/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- Design Informatics (MSc)
- Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre (EPCC) (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD)
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Robotics & Autonomous Systems (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD/MSc (Res))
- High Performance Computing (MSc/Postgraduate Diploma - PgDip)
- High Performance Computing with Data Science (MSc)
- Informatics (MSc)
- Informatics: ANC: Machine Learning, Computational Neuroscience, Computational Biology (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD/Master of Philosophy - MPhil)
- Informatics: CISA: Automated Reasoning, Agents, Data Intensive Research, Knowledge Management (Master of Philosophy - MPhil/MSc)
- Informatics: ICSA: Computer Architecture, Compilation and System software, Networks and Communication (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD/Master of Philosophy - MPhil)
- Informatics: ILCC: Language Processing, Speech Technology, Information Retrieval, Cognition (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD/Master of Philosophy - MPhil)
- Informatics: IPAB: Robotics, Computer Vision, Computer Graphics and Animation (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD/Master of Philosophy - MPhil)
- Informatics: LFCS: Theory and Foundations of Computer Science, Databases, Software and Systems Modelling (Doctor of Philosophy - PhD/Master of Philosophy - MPhil)
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here