Birkbeck, University of London: Geology
|Institution||Birkbeck, University of London View institution profile|
|Department||Earth and Planetary Sciences|
|Telephone||0203 907 0700|
Geology is an area of active research across a wide range of sub-disciplines. Through our modular course structure and use of web-based material for distance learning, we aim to provide up-to-date reviews of research topics across most aspects of the earth and planetary sciences.
Topics include: Earth system science; major geoscience paradigms; temporal and spatial scales; Earth structure, materials and processes; terminology, nomenclature and classification, and practical knowledge; awareness of and informed concern for Earth science issues.
This is an undergraduate-level qualification that will prepare you for postgraduate study. Graduate Certificates/Diplomas typically take one to two years to complete and are made up of two, three or four modules at final-year undergraduate degree level (worth 60, 90 or 120 credits).
- Can be used as a qualifying course for MRes or PhD study.
- Offered as part-time study at Birkbeck or you can study by distance learning, wherever you are in the world.
- An opportunity to take part in field classes to put your skills into practice.
- The Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences is housed with the University College London (UCL) Department of Earth Sciences. Together, the two departments form the UCL-Birkbeck Centre for Planetary Sciences. The Research School offers excellent facilities for research in environmental geology and planetary geology, as well as traditional geological and geophysical research.
- In our joint submission with UCL, Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences at Birkbeck were rated sixth in the UK in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), while we achieved 100% for an environment conducive to research of the highest quality.
|Level||RQF Level 7|
Certificate of Higher Education in Geology or previous study to that level.
A combination of reports on field-based projects, laboratory work and written examinations. Some modules include continuous assessment through written work.
For information about course structure and the moules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck, part of the University of London, offers nearly 300 taught and research postgraduate programmes across arts and humanities, business and economics, law, science and social science. As an evening teaching specialist, Birkbeck offers its taught postgraduate courses between 6-9pm, with some courses available through distance learning. As with undergraduate courses, postgraduates can study full-time or part-time.
Home to 44 research and specialist institutes, Birkbeck is the sixth largest provider of taught postgrad courses for UK and EU students - some 44% of its 11,000-plus students are on postgrad programmes. Around 90% of its academics ...
Not what you are looking for?Browse other courses in Science, Earth sciences, Geology or Geological data analysis, or search our comprehensive database of postgrad programs.
Scholarship Opportunity with Postgrad.com
Are you a PG student at this University or have you applied to study a postgraduate program at a university in Europe? Tell us your plans and qualify for a £500.00 PGS Scholarship.Click here