University of Derby
We understand that people looking for postgraduate courses are in many different situations. That’s why we provide various different methods of study from full-time and part-time to online courses, both postgraduate and professional. We also have alternative start dates; January or April (for online courses) and September to help you to get the most out of your postgraduate experience.
We also offer a 10% discount off your postgraduate tuition fees if you studied with us for your undergraduate course. If you didn’t study with us for your undergraduate degree, you could still be eligible for a £1,000 excellence bursary. Course fees vary, so it’s worth finding your course page on our website to check what you are expected to pay.
We offer flexible learning with the personal touch helping you progress in your chosen career.
So why choose the University of Derby?
- We offer professional courses including CIM, CIPS, CIPD, CIMA and ACCA so if you don’t already have an undergraduate course or you’d like to study in a more specific area of your career, this could be more appropriate.
- All of our courses have strong links within industry such as our courses at Buxton allowing you to add to your real-world expertise and knowledge for when you’ve finished your course.
- The University of Derby has invested £100 million over the last few years in resources to make your studies the most effective and valuable they can possibly be.
- During your time with us we can offer you as much advice as you’d like regarding your course or specific career goals.
- Any research undertaken during your course will contribute to supporting businesses and organisations in solving real-world challenges.
- All our postgraduate courses are vocationally focused and we regularly update them so that they reflect the most up-to-date industry thinking.
- Our courses are flexible to your learning needs – postgraduate courses are broken down into three stages: certificate, diploma and finally the full masters qualification.
- Different start dates – our courses benefit from full-time and part-time options as well as varied start dates so you are able to study when it best suits you. Our courses start in September, January or April (for online courses).
- Derby is a diverse and friendly city with developing and growing blend of culture and technology. Take a look at the great things Derby has to offer.
If you’re interested in checking out the University and what we have to offer first-hand, come along to one of our open days.
What do the figures tell us?
Our statistics show the difference between leaving university with your first degree to leaving university with a postgraduate degree:
- In 2011, 49.1% of students graduating from the University of Derby with their first degree found full-time work, yet 58.2% of those graduating with a postgraduate degree were in full-time employment.
- In 2011, there was an increase of 8.3% of postgraduates in work and study in comparison to those graduating with their first degree.
- Finally, the average salary of full-time UK postgraduates from the University of Derby between 2009/10 and 2010/11 increased by £1,000 per year.
Our facilities & courses
Our excellent facilities
In the last few years £100 million has been invested in our facilities, offering you the best resources to make your postgraduate or professional qualification modern and exciting. Our Clinical Skills Suite is fully equipped to NHS standard and our industry-standard 350-person courtrooms are an ideal location for practicing your advocacy skills.
Our courses are designed with flexibility in mind – learning that works around your lifestyle. We have various starting dates including September and January (and April for online courses) with both part-time and full-time options. Whatever situation you’re in, we have a postgraduate or professional course to meet your needs and progress your career.
We have an important focus on linking our courses to industry - not only are our courses updated regularly to reflect the current industry thinking, but we also choose to teach our courses in a working environment to reflect real-world learning. Courses content is put together with key industry professionals to ensure we deliver teaching that is relevant in today’s industries.
Our MA International Spa Management course is taught at a working Spa at The Dome which is a purpose-built environment for training and treatment that is managed by students, and our MSc Mobile Device Software Development course is taught in state-of-the-art computing suites.
We have a friendly student support team that offer help and advice. From your wellbeing as a student to gaining advice on how to further your career after you graduate – we’re here to help.
Outside of your studies you can take a break at the Academy bar designed by our current students, which offers a range of drinks and hot food with both indoor and outdoor seating. There are also various other places to get food and drink around the university, as well as a Waterstones store which sells all the textbooks you’ll need.
Education, Health and Science Faculty
Recently we opened our £1.5 million Clinical Skills Suite which is equipped with NHS standard facilities. Resources include the latest diagnostic and simulated learning equipment to give you a realistic working environment to further your career. These facilities are ideal for healthcare courses such as MSc Occupational Therapy which require the best equipment to help you learn more effectively.
We have strong partnerships with local, regional and national employers such as:
- The National Health Service
- Department of Education and Skills
- Local authorities, schools and colleges
- Voluntary and community groups
Studying with us will reinforce the qualification you receive because employers are searching for graduates that have relevant industry experience. Our Science department actively incorporates research and consultancy into courses so that courses like our MPhil/PhD Science are contributing to real world issues. Due to the level of our research we’ve also been recognised as ‘internationally significant’.
Business, Computing and Law
The Business, Computing and Law schools focus their courses around practical experiences that reflect real-world learning. Our courses are reinforced and created in partnership with various well-known companies such as Rolls-Royce, JCB, Toyota, Boots, Norseman Holdings and Microsoft.
Our specialised state-of-the-art computing suites replicate a working environment and have excellent links within the industry. Our MSc Computer Graphics Production course makes use of graphics tablets, industry-standard software including Maya, Photoshop and Zbrush, and high-end workstations with dual display monitors – giving you everything you need to further your career.
If you are looking to specialise in any law related courses such as an LLM (Law) you’ll be taking advantage of our large courtrooms that have space for 350 people, and our interview suites where you can practise your negotiation and interview skills.
Due to our strong reputation in marketing, we’ve created professional marketing courses including MSc Marketing Management and MA Marketing and Media that have excellent links with key professional bodies and give certain exemption from the CIM courses if you go onto them.
Art, Design and Technology
The Art, Design and Technology faculties have experienced tutors that have worked within industry. Courses often benefit from visiting speakers and workshops giving you excellent experience and knowledge to further your career.
“I wish I managed to come to a University like this, or that there was such a University when I was younger”
Sir Richard Branson.
Our MA Fashion and Textiles course is taught at our Markeaton Street site which houses traditional and industrial equipment, advanced new technology in our fashion and textiles studios and other specialised workshops. Students will benefit from close links with the fashion and textiles industry.
Live projects during your studies will ensure that you have a filled portfolio of work to impress future employers with.
Our Markeaton campus is a modern, well-equipped working environment to aid your creativity that has:
- Open plan studios
- Extensive workshops for both chemical and digital photography
- Specific fashion and textile design studios
- Extensive Mac labs
- Craft workshops for wood, metal, ceramics, plaster and jewellery.
Technology students will also study at Markeaton Street with our excellent facilities including motorsport workshops, dedicated auditoria, recording studios and laboratories.
University of Derby Buxton
At our Buxton campus we pride ourselves on the highest quality facilities that give you real-world working environments to learn in. Buxton hosts courses based around Sports Coaching, Events Management, Hospitality Management, International Spa Management and Tourism Management. Its location in the heart of the Peak District is the ideal location as a top tourist destination.
The MA Tourism Management course benefits from being taught in Buxton as it’s an ideal tourist destination. You’ll be learning in a realistic environment that mimics the setting you’ll eventually be working in. The course is heavily focussed around industry representatives that collaborate with us to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
Our Buxton campus is home to The Dome, which includes a complete working spa which helps us to deliver a truly unique course. MA International Spa Management prepares you for a career in the spa industry where you’ll learn from our professional staff and benefit from international links and partners at associated universities in Italy, New Zealand and Hungary.
If you’re looking to further a career in hospitality, our MA International Hospitality Management course is taught by experienced scholars and leading practitioners in the hospitality industry. During your study you’ll meet a range of industry representatives who regularly collaborate with us including those from Hilton International, Skibo Castle, Gleneagles and Marriot Hotels. The Dome also features a working fine dining restaurant, so you’ll literally be studying in a real-world environment.
- 24th September – Teaching begins
- 13th October – Open Day
- 24th November – Open Day
- 14th-17th January –Enrolment and induction week for January starters
Fees & Financial Support
If you are funding your postgraduate study yourself and studied with us at undergraduate degree level, you are entitled to a 10% discount on your fees. From September 2012 our professional courses for CIMA, CIM, CIPS and ACCA are also eligible for this discount.
Our Masters degrees in computing, management and law offer an excellence bursary for those that didn’t study with us for their undergraduate degree. This entitles the applicant to £1,000 towards the cost of their course fees.
The government can offer loans and grants to financially support your tuition fees should you be interested in a course in teaching, social work or healthcare.
If none of these options apply, there are still other options for financial support such as:
- You can apply for a study loan at your local high street bank
- If you’re doing an MBA, the Association of Masters in Business Administration can arrange loans for you
- Institutions such as the Royal Society, Royal Academy of Engineering and the British Academy can offer awards
We understand that this is often confusing so feel free to contact us so we can talk you through it all on 01332 591 063 or email@example.com
How to apply
If you’re applying for most postgraduate or professional courses you can apply directly to us online. But if you want to study for a PGCE or the Professional Graduate Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Sector, you need to apply through the Graduate Teacher Training Registry (GTTR). Places for PGCE courses fill up quickly so applications usually close after 1 December in the year before you’re planning to start the course.
If you’d like to get in contact about any courses you might be interested in, give our friendly admissions team a call on 01332 591167 or email them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Media Links
Join in with the latest postgraduate news on Facebook and Twitter.